3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Treadway Bows  (Read 1609 times)

Offline gonefishing600

• Trad Bowhunter
Treadway Bows
« on: March 06, 2015, 09:24:00 PM »
There is a rumor going around that Mike Treadway retired from making bows. I just spoke with Mike this morning and got on his list. The real story about his break is, he took some time off because his mother was ill, but he's back in full swing now.

As he puts it, he has this extremely complicated way of taking orders. He takes your name and phone number and your on the list, he is quite a character.

He told me from his 29 years of building longbows that there is absolutely no difference in fps in hard rock Maple, bamboo, yew, actionwood, or red elm . And further more, you would be lucky to get 1 fps more out of carbon.  

Would love to hear some feedback on this subject.
JD Berry Argos 64" 48#&28"
Toelke Classic Whip 64" 46#@28"
Acs one piece 64" 46#@28"
BlackWidow PLX 66" 46#@28"

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Treadway Bows
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 10:10:00 PM »
In Mikes designs if he said that it more than likely true. Different designs may vary. Mike is a real down to earth guy and it would be hard not to like him. He builds some pretty sweet bows to.
High on Archery.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 10:13:00 PM »
He is a great guy to talk to......ask him his thought's on Sassafras as a core wood sometime.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 10:55:00 PM »
ron w, I have a sassafras Black Swamp from Mike--great shooter.

The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Jwilliam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2015, 01:32:00 AM »
Great bows and an even better person !!!  Gotta respect someone who puts family first.   :notworthy:  

Bill

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2015, 08:37:00 AM »
I never met him but have only heard good things.  

I have shot his bows and like them!

As the previous poster said, gotta respect a man who puts family first. That hits the nail on the head.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2015, 03:06:00 PM »
Bought a bow from Mike today at the TBOF spring shoot in Ocala Fla. Mike is doing OK and still building a bow or 2.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2015, 03:31:00 PM »
Mike is one of the good guys.  His bows are works of art--he's made a couple of the prettiest I have ever seen.  The workmanship was amazing and flawless.

Offline Marc B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2015, 03:54:00 PM »
You can't beat Mike, he's as good as they come.

Offline threeundr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2015, 07:27:00 PM »
David, that is a great looking Black Swamp!    :thumbsup:
-Leonard-

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2015, 09:04:00 PM »
Originally posted by ron w:
Bought a bow from Mike today at the TBOF spring shoot in Ocala Fla. Mike is doing OK and still building a bow or 2.
Ron tell us what you got????   :help:

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2015, 09:06:00 PM »
I put up a post with a photo.....check it out.

Offline sswv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2015, 09:21:00 PM »
Mike is the real deal. He once told me a customer ask him what would carbon get him? Mike replied, "it won't get you nothing but it'll get me $75.00". Great guy and great bows.

Offline see

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2015, 09:50:00 PM »
mike custom made my wife a bow a few years back. we visited him near Candler N.C.(NOT FAR FROM Asheville).went to his shop and it was one of the cleanest shops I have ever been in.His wife makes the strings and bow socks he gives with all his bows.he had some wood left over and made her a nice belt buckle.A real great person to get to know.He builds awesome bows.
see

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2015, 11:14:00 AM »
I've never met Mike, but I bought one of his 60" R/D longbows (Black Swamp) used and wished it could have been a few pounds lighter. That got me talking to Mike and I have to say, I could talk with this man all day long. He's experienced enough to have developed some definite ideas, but is willing to listen to yours too. If this man recommended for or against an option, I'd take his recommendations any day. He reduced the weight on my bow, refinished it and got it back to me in a couple of weeks.

I'd love to try Ron W's new 66" classic D bow. I would bet, without even trying it, it is quiet as they can get and just a real pleasure to shoot.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2015, 11:41:00 AM »
Thing with Mike is he not only makes a great bow, he's a straight-up guy to boot.  That means at least as much to me as the product when I'm doing business.

He was at the KY Tradfest last year--hope he's there again this year.  Looking forward to seeing him.

Offline md126

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2015, 12:01:00 PM »
I have one of his Black Forest LB's and its a great bow. One of 2 or 3 I will not part with.

I've always wanted to try his Black Swamp model but can't find one used in the right specs.

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2015, 03:47:00 PM »
md126, if you do find one, grab it. It is one fast, quiet bow. Mine has a relatively low grip and fits me like it was made for me.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline Tradcat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2015, 08:01:00 PM »
I spoke to Mike today at the TBOF shoot. He is such a great guy. I have had two of his bows and I'm wishing that I never sold the first one to my buddy. Mike treats you like family. If he tells you that a chicken gives milk, you best go get a bucket ! His bows are awesome ! If you can get one with sassafras limb cores, jump on it !!!

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2015, 08:03:00 PM »
I've had the pleasure to visit Mike at his shop 2 times.   A complete craftsman and fantastic bow designs.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©