3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Lets Talk Turkey Decoys!  (Read 1074 times)

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Lets Talk Turkey Decoys!
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2015, 09:24:00 PM »
I just received my DSD Jake in the mail last week.  The other ones I was considering was the Dakota and Avian X.  I looked at the Avian and it was nice but a little heavy for me.  I like the Dakota but liked the DSD (made in America) better and went that route.  Bought it from Wing Mack Prairie.  I found a 10%  off code plus free shipping.  I plan on matching it wit my Feather Flex hen or may pick up an Avian breeding hen which I did like a lot.
T ZZZZ

Offline Longbow58

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2015, 06:55:00 AM »
Avian for me but the DSD are nice. Good luck

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2015, 08:33:00 AM »
Thanks for the help guys. I have always used a HS hen and a killer B from P*****. It works about half the time, the other half they seem intimidated and/or not fooled at about 30-50yds. Doesnt matter with a gun, its a dead bird. BUT with a stick this year id like to see more attacks (more importantly 8yd shots)

I like the idea of the avian being more malleable than the dsd, i just wish that avian had the same pose as the dsd. A hunched up jake even makes me realize he need a butt whoopin lol.

Im leaning towards avian because it seems the best of all worlds, those of you that run them, do they attack the avian as jake as much?  If that pose is going to be a game changer id just as soon go dsd. Thoughts?
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2015, 09:03:00 AM »
I can only go by what I've read, and that is that the pose is very important in provoking attacks. It does make some sense to me. Body language in animals is a primary means of communication.  

I'm not good enough to tell you which pose best provokes attacks but supposedly DSD feels that is exactly what their decoy is designed to do.  Seems to be working so far for me.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2015, 09:16:00 AM »
I've gathered an assortment of decoys over the years. I looked at the DSDs at Cabelas last week.  They are very realistic looking. I'm going to buy 1 or 2. I'm hoping to use mix in 1-2 of my older decoys as well -- don't want to spend $300-400 on a whole new set.  The upright hen and a jake will probably be my choices.

Online Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2015, 09:55:00 AM »
I had $80 of Gander Mountain rewards coupons saved up so I went with the 1/4 strut Avian Jake decoy from them (they don't offer the DSD).  We'll see how that works with the Avian hen I have this spring.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2015, 01:08:00 PM »
I had a buddy tell me to try a mirror.... Said he never saw a tom yet that could pass up his own reflection, or the hens either for that matter.....

Anyone out there ever try this form of decoy?

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2015, 01:58:00 PM »
Originally posted by Kirkll:
I had a buddy tell me to try a mirror.... Said he never saw a tom yet that could pass up his own reflection, or the hens either for that matter.....

Did he tell you this over beers:)
T ZZZZ

Offline Tall Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2015, 05:19:00 PM »
Thanks a bunch, guys!  Now I gotta order me a DSD jake decoy!   :)  

I bought a DSD Standing Hen last year, and last month I got the Feeding Hen. I thought I was through for this year, but now I've gone and ordered the DSD Jake!

Love that photo, Whip! It's on my desktop now.
Is a life of rice cakes really life, or just passing time?-Rick Bragg

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2015, 02:26:00 PM »
Great stories guys! Talk about getting a mans blood going!
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Offline tradarcher816

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2015, 02:44:00 PM »
Originally posted by huskyarcher:
Great stories guys! Talk about getting a mans blood going!
No kidding! I just got my tags in the other day, and I'm itching.  I hate to jump on a band wagon but I've had similar experiences with birds hanging up at 30-40 yards with my decoys.  I'm leaning really hard towards a couple of DSD's now after checking them out at cabelas.  I just need to figure out which hen to go with.... and which couch to sleep on when my wife finds out   :help:
Love God, Love your neighbor.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2015, 03:06:00 PM »
I just need to figure out which hen to go with.... and which couch to sleep on when my wife finds out  [help]

Much better to spend a couple nights on the couch and have your decoy, than petitioning the powers that be ahead of time and have no decoy at all. After that, the couch might be your preference anyway.

Online Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2015, 04:01:00 PM »
Tell her you want to go sofa shopping and get a comfortable one with her.  Then break the decoy news.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2015, 04:23:00 PM »
I just need to figure out which hen to go with.... and which couch to sleep on when my wife finds out  [help]

Much better to spend a couple nights on the couch and have your decoy, than petitioning the powers that be ahead of time and have no decoy at all. After that, the couch might be your preference anyway.
There is either alot of wisdom, or experience in that comment! Lol!
------------
Dalton Lewis

Offline Tall Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2015, 04:40:00 PM »
I just got my DSD Jake decoy, and I'm really impressed!
Is a life of rice cakes really life, or just passing time?-Rick Bragg

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2015, 06:11:00 PM »
Look hard at the Primos PHD hens.  They are inflatable with a silk screened cover and a molded  head.  Incredible realistic look and you can carry two in a cargo pocket.   If you have seen our turkey videos, they are all shot over the Avian jake and PHD hens.

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2015, 03:38:00 AM »

A few years back, my uncle had a real nice dually pick up with a very expensive high gloss black paint job. In the bright sun light, it would show I reflection like a mirror. He had a nice tom that would visit on occasion. One day, that tom wandered too close to his truck, and tried to attack his own reflection!  After chasing the bird away and buffing the paint, my uncle filled his tag the next time the long beard visited his house!
Plant a fruit or nut tree today, and have good hunting tomorrow.
=}}}}}-----------------------------}>

Offline Longbow58

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2015, 06:44:00 AM »
Had my Avians 2 years and killed 2 longbeards over them. Last year had my jake dec thrashed pretty good. Shot that bird right off his back. Anyone fold their Avians up?

Offline bruinman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2015, 07:54:00 AM »
Just got my Avian hen and jake yesterday. They look pretty good to me. Not sure how much that means though,lol. Now all I need is for one of you turkey experts to tell me how to best position them,lol. I tried a couple times last year, my turkey hunting time is pretty limited. I got to see a few birds but didn't get one. Mike my tags have not shown up yet. I might have to call them again.

Offline tradarcher816

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2015, 05:41:00 PM »
Ed I got online and ordered mine they were here in two days.  I apparently didn't ask for them when I got my license.  I'm with you on the decoy position quandary, I'd love some advice.
Love God, Love your neighbor.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©