3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Traditional Archer Competency - Objectives and Plans  (Read 691 times)

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Traditional Archer Competency - Objectives and Plans
« on: March 07, 2015, 07:27:00 PM »
The pursuit and experience of the traditional dream is often beyond words.

Continuously, the desire for:
New bows, different designs and different bow specs
Different arrows and different arrow designs
Different broadhead designs
Improved strings
Better string silencers
Different fletching
And on and on……….

***With aspirations of gaining an edge make the headlines

The issue being that all these possible improvements are crowding the estimated 10% which contributes to a successful harvest. How much of the 10% is actually available?

Much focus may be squandered by ignoring the estimated 90% factor in gaining the most precision honed edge. “ That being the person behind the bow”, where one’s own room for improvement as an archer may be well over ten times what is available for gaining a significant edge versus simply focusing on the former. The game we pursue deserves no less than our best efforts.

Please share your own personal objectives and plans to improve as a traditional archer this year?
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Traditional Archer Competency - Objectives and Plans
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 07:30:00 PM »
Shoot farther distances at practice.
SWA Spyder

Offline archer66

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2015, 07:41:00 PM »
Good stuff Friend.  I know you guys probably see me as a newb....but....I know about deer and I know about deer hunting.  And the NUMBER ONE thing I know is that archery is a CLOSE UP game.  The closer the better.  

With that in mind I may PRACTICE at further distances to hone my shooting skill but I will do so with the idea in mind that this longer distance practice will make me automatic at hunting distances.  

My GOAL as a trad bowhunter is to always play the wind, always strive to put myself in position for a CLOSE shot at a RELAXED animal and as usual to NEVER take a shot that is less than perfect.
1966 Bear Kodiak Magnum
52"
40# @ 25"

Black Widow SIW
56"
51# @ 25.5"

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2015, 07:50:00 PM »
My goal is to go afield this fall with my recurve and hunt whitetails. If I set a goal to kill a deer and it doesn't happen, then I am disappointed. So I just want to hunt with the recurve. If a kill happens, all the merrier. If it does not? It won't be for lack of effort. I have killed enough deer in my lifetime to last me the rest of my lifetime. I have killed some really big bucks in my 25 years of this pursuit. At this point, I just want to hunt with the recurve. I will continue to shoot every week a few days, and do my best to perfect form and release. I have the skills to hunt, I have the skills to get close. I will find out if I have the skills to kill with trad gear. But in the end, I just want to hunt with my recurve.
If you profess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved Romans 10:9

Offline archer66

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2015, 07:53:00 PM »
Originally posted by VA Elite:
My goal is to go afield this fall with my recurve and hunt whitetails. If I set a goal to kill a deer and it doesn't happen, then I am disappointed. So I just want to hunt with the recurve. If a kill happens, all the merrier. If it does not? It won't be for lack of effort. I have killed enough deer in my lifetime to last me the rest of my lifetime. I have killed some really big bucks in my 25 years of this pursuit. At this point, I just want to hunt with the recurve. I will continue to shoot every week a few days, and do my best to perfect form and release. I have the skills to hunt, I have the skills to get close. I will find out if I have the skills to kill with trad gear. But in the end, I just want to hunt with my recurve.
And THAT is exactly what it is all about.  Have fun...enjoy the outdoors and enjoy the pursuit.
1966 Bear Kodiak Magnum
52"
40# @ 25"

Black Widow SIW
56"
51# @ 25.5"

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2015, 08:11:00 PM »
Well, I just signed up for a Rod Jenkins seminar to TRY to do something about that 90%. I'm also drawing my bow a lot, even if I'm not shooting, trying to keep that weight from dropping even lower.

Having said that, I've been shut out the last 2 years. Couldn't see a deer I wanted in a range that was acceptable, so I'm also going to keep working on tighter groups so when that magic day comes around, I'll maybe have that 90% down to 25%?

Wonder how long it will be before we actually do have to pass a competency test as they do in Sweden for hunting moose.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2015, 08:15:00 PM »
My shooting is something I work to improve from each arrow I launch. Equipment is, as stated, a small percentage of what can be accomplished. The rest is the loose nut hanging on to the bow. I too shoot farther during practice than I will at an animal, and I spend a lot of time stumping, trying to have the shot emulate a hunting scenario. I spend time blind bale shooting, which gives me a better idea of my form, or lack thereof.
A hunter in good physical shape is a better hunter, and I strive to keep ahead of the age curve by maintaining fitness. I also practice stalking and being aware of animals reactions. Stalking game in non hunting situations is great practice for when the season is open.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2015, 08:48:00 PM »
One thing thing that really draws me to this site is the fact that I read zero posts about antler inches, age, buck named this or that, hit list bucks, yada yada yada...  I have grown tired of all that crap. It's fine if that's what makes you tick, but there is sooo much more to bow hunting than those things. I have been down that road before and what it ends up doing is taking the innocence and purity out of the hunt. Kill a spike! kill a doe! kill a monster! it all means something to those who hunt in different ways. I spent the better part of 8 years chasing pope and young class deer. It almost drove me out of bowhunting. When i finally did kill that class buck, after many years, it changed the way I hunt and why I hunt. I no longer let that control me and I wish more of the younger generation would quit watching TV hunting because it sets unrealistic expectations. It gives false hopes to many. In the end, a man who puts in the effort and learns how to do it the hard way will be much rewarded for it. Think of the great poet Robert Frost, The Road Not Taken, it is a story of life. You get out of it what you put in it.
If you profess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved Romans 10:9

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2015, 09:03:00 PM »
I've had some disturbing signs of age-related infirmity this winter. I have been taking for granted, so far in my life, that I would always be able to shoot my bows as long as I was breathing.

Frankly, I believed as long as I kept shooting, my muscles, ligaments, etc. would stay in shooting shape. Throughout the years I've averaged shooting a few arrows every day. Some days several sessions and rarely a day missed (if not traveling) with no shooting.  Apparently, at 61 this isn't true. It's going to take extra work.

This is the year I try to turn back the clock by adopting better fitness and nutrition habits. Nutrition changes have already reduced "me" by 13 pounds (since Dec. 12th) with 15 more to go to be what I weighed in 1992.

Next is the regular but purposeful exercise regime. I can't stand the thought of just pumping iron or using stationary equipment (even though I have that stuff) to exercise. I'd rather dig holes than do curls. Walk or jog a trail than the treadmill.

I'm planning to mountain bike ride, help my son coach cross-country, and shoot my 3D trail on a regular basis.

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2015, 09:21:00 PM »
Not planning on taking one past 20 yds but instead of practicing at 15 & 20 I'm going to do most at 20 & 25
SWA Spyder

Online Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2015, 10:08:00 PM »
I want to improve my stealth and accuracy on highly angled/elevated shots.  Stumps and targets are usually square on.  Tree stands and quartering shots are different.

As for gear, I'd like to buy nothing new except maybe some more clothing that fits well.  I may try the Medicine Bear Badger broadheads, but probably not as I've already got a huge supply of Stingers that work just fine and are tuned to my bow.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Offline BDann

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2015, 10:16:00 PM »
I plan on spending some time and actually building some good ground blinds where I hunt.  I've been kinda halfway doing it, with poor results.  On my place in Kansas I know the trails the deer typically use, but I haven't put in the effort to get some good blinds built that are set up for trad. bows.

Offline AZ_Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2015, 10:20:00 PM »
Fun. I've been hunting for 20 years+ with a bow plenty of small game but not one large game animal yet. But I always have fun so that's my goal.
"There's only two things an arrow wants to do, it wants to fly and it wants to hit its target. It's in its very nature. Don't over think it."

Offline eidsvolling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2015, 10:51:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bowwild:
I've had some disturbing signs of age-related infirmity this winter. I have been taking for granted, so far in my life, that I would always be able to shoot my bows as long as I was breathing.

Frankly, I believed as long as I kept shooting, my muscles, ligaments, etc. would stay in shooting shape. Throughout the years I've averaged shooting a few arrows every day. Some days several sessions and rarely a day missed (if not traveling) with no shooting.  Apparently, at 61 this isn't true. It's going to take extra work.

This is the year I try to turn back the clock by adopting better fitness and nutrition habits. Nutrition changes have already reduced "me" by 13 pounds (since Dec. 12th) with 15 more to go to be what I weighed in 1992.

Next is the regular but purposeful exercise regime. I can't stand the thought of just pumping iron or using stationary equipment (even though I have that stuff) to exercise. I'd rather dig holes than do curls. Walk or jog a trail than the treadmill.

I'm planning to mountain bike ride, help my son coach cross-country, and shoot my 3D trail on a regular basis.
Kudos to you on your progress! I can relate personally to being that very age and noticing the changes. Not so aligned on the treadmill issue, however.

I've been a nordic skier my whole life, and this winter has been a godsend for me. I'm also lucky enough to have thousands of acres nearby for stumping when there's less snow on the ground, and some nearby peaks provide good hiking workouts.

However, there are a few times in the year (mostly in the summer heat) when I've found having a treadmill is pretty useful. I've discovered that placing my iPad on it to watch video (in my case, programming from Sweden) makes the minutes pass quite pleasurably. I use hand weights while I'm on it to keep my shoulders limber and add some effort to the workout.

Offline Amberjack

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2015, 11:00:00 PM »
This is a great thread and one of the reasons I love this site.

I'm at that age now where things start to fall apart if you don't work 'em (52).  So, I'll be spending more time walking and climbing the hills where I live this year and maybe even a little weight work to limber up the muscles.

I have set a goal to shoot as often as I can - whether it's once a day or once a week - with my travel schedule.  I'm fortunate enough to have a little property with a 'stump' trail I can walk for some decent practice.  

Now if the snow will just melt!!

AJ
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
"Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me" Gen 27:3
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->>>

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2015, 11:03:00 PM »
As a person who often over-intellectualizes things, my goal is to listen to my body more, and try to hear what it is saying.  It's fine to figure things out in your mind, but unless you can translate that into reality, all you have is an idea.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2015, 11:25:00 PM »
I need to extend my range while I am laying on my back with my feet up.  I need to do that on occasion for my back, deer and turkeys seem to know that I am in a limited situation and they come to look.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2015, 11:42:00 PM »
Kill Deer   :readit:    ;)    :p
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline CRS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2015, 11:46:00 PM »
Please share your own personal objectives and plans to improve as a traditional archer this year?  
shoot the perfect arrow...

savor this traditional journey...
Inquiring minds.......

Offline screamin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2015, 11:53:00 PM »
Originally posted by Amberjack:
This is a great thread and one of the reasons I love this site.

I'm at that age now where things start to fall apart if you don't work 'em (52).  So, I'll be spending more time walking and climbing the hills where I live this year and maybe even a little weight work to limber up the muscles.

I have set a goal to shoot as often as I can - whether it's once a day or once a week - with my travel schedule.  I'm fortunate enough to have a little property with a 'stump' trail I can walk for some decent practice.  

Now if the snow will just melt!!

AJ
AJ, I'm with you. At 53 things are beginning to go down hill, sooooo last month I started lifting weights again and realized I have lost 2/3 of my strength from when I was 26... I was very very strong at 26. I am finding that every workout I am adding weight and doing the same amount of reps, its coming back quickly although I doubt it will ever get back to where I was at this point. If I do I will definitely have to buy more weights. Either way, I intend to be in the best shape I can be by August. I'll spend the summer hiking the hills as well.

I plan on refining my accuracy and get consistent to 40 yards, which helps make that 25 yarder a chip shot.

I also plan on breaking the curse... I hope. I'm from Nevada and every time I would draw a cow elk tag over there I would pretty much get one, last 4 tags I was successful, prior to that it was 50/50. I have hunted 4 seasons in Utah and I have been skunked each time. I really want to end the curse     :bigsmyl:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©