3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Traditional Archer Competency - Objectives and Plans  (Read 689 times)

Online mgf

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Traditional Archer Competency - Objectives and Plans
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2015, 05:40:00 AM »
To jump in with you other 50-somethings. At 55, work often leaves me too tired and sore to want to shoot...or hunt. Oh and I HATE the cold these days.

Nothing incapacitating but I'm always on ladders or in the rafters, climbing, reaching and working over my head. Ibuprofen has become a food group. LOL

I guess I need to be smarter about archery practice because I don't think I'm going to be shooting hundreds of arrows per day like I used to.

I'm going to spend a couple of days getting some coaching from Jimmy Blackmon next month. Looking to get my shooting to the next level.

I've already completely lost my apatite for hunting in trees. My tripod and permanent stand in the backyard is ok but I'm done haling all that junk in and out of the woods and up and down trees. I'm staying on the ground.

Offline Wallydog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2015, 11:21:00 AM »
I too do not plan to go quietly into that good night. I turned 60 and had to join the YMCA and work at things I used to take for granted. I shoot a 55lb bow on a winter indoor league at 20 yds. That's 45 arrows for score and 25 more for warm up. I also practice 100 arrows or more a week besides that.
 I find I am more focused on form and sequence. I will shoot maybe 10 3D shoots this year. If I keep moving Im good. If I sit on my tail then Im done and I know it.

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2015, 12:03:00 PM »
Heading to 54, staying in shape is part of it.  Practicing daily, not too many arrows, but focus on all good arrows. (Once I can find my target and walk around the yard again).  Scout hard and build blinds all summer. Spend as much time in the woods with a bow in my hand this fall as possible.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline Goose smasher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2015, 12:24:00 PM »
This year I plan to practise enough to be confident to hunt whitetails with my longbow.I have done lots of deer hunting with other weapons but this year I really want to shoot a deer with my longbow. I'm really enjoying the journey so far and when the moment comes that I have a deer I like in a good position for me I want to be confident that I can make the shot.

I also agree that this board is very refreshing without all the fake hunting stuff you see on tv shows,inches,hit list bucks and every buck in the county named.
Little Crow Merlin 60" 52# @ 28"
Bear Super Kodiak 60" 55# @ 28"

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2015, 12:53:00 PM »
After 30 years experience with shooting bows my personal objectives are to simplify rather than complicate how I approach archery.  

A popular perspective today is that shooting for technical precision and repetitive pinpoint accuracy is the MOST important aspect of shooting a bow, even for archery renowned through the ages for it's beautiful simplicity and even for average shooters just looking for some fun on the range/in the field.  'Traditional', as we call it, has become a game of moving or removing (as much as we can) the challenge of archery towards something more accomodating to our insatiable quest for shooting perfection.  I'm more interested in retaining a semblance of what traditional gear and methods used to be, more than in creating a mindset for how rifle-like traditional results might be.

Call me old school, I'm fine with that.

« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2015, 02:24:00 PM »
TSP, good thoughts.  Target accuracy and a fluid well timed hunting shot are two different things. All too often form is dictated by groups of arrows in a target that is not going anywhere. We tend to set up our hunting situations to match our shooting form, it is always about form. It is just as possible to set up our form to match our hunting shots, but it takes practice, lots of practice finding that fluid zone, that separates the hunters from the target shooters.

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2015, 05:47:00 PM »
This year, I'm setting up a shooting clinic with Rod Jenkins. Since my traditional archery journey began most all of my education has come from the wonderful people of TG. That said, I'm ready to take my shooting to the next level. I'm excited to receive professional shooting advice and training from Mr. Jenkins and hopefully improve my shooting!

Offline halfseminole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2015, 10:17:00 PM »
I'm finally getting a setup made for my long draw.  Shooting overdrawn bows has made for some squirrely shooting, and finding arrows was misery until I found Forrester.  Now I have a proper bow and well made arrow shafts on the way.  My medical condition has made it rather hard to get set up to my liking, but I have one bow here and another on the way to finally get to use my disability instead of suffer from it.

Offline warden415

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2015, 10:48:00 PM »
I plan on hanging more stands this year and shooting broadheads  much more often. Seems like I shoot lots of field points but fail to shoot many broadheads.

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2015, 11:39:00 PM »
Teaching more  4H archery classes.  Taking in a few 3Ds.  Hunting a lot, but mostly just taking my bow for a walk.  At 67 my physical shape is excellent, as I have done what the youngsters (50+) are planning..  Keep it.   Do not lose it as it takes a lot to get it back .  If I do retire I will take up knapping seriously. Knapping, not napping as I can already do that!
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Online mgf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2015, 04:21:00 AM »
Originally posted by pavan:
TSP, good thoughts.  Target accuracy and a fluid well timed hunting shot are two different things. All too often form is dictated by groups of arrows in a target that is not going anywhere. We tend to set up our hunting situations to match our shooting form, it is always about form. It is just as possible to set up our form to match our hunting shots, but it takes practice, lots of practice finding that fluid zone, that separates the hunters from the target shooters.
Is there a separation between the hunters and target shooters?

It seems that many of the top target shooters are also very successful hunters.

Offline Longbow58

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2015, 06:43:00 AM »
Don't need to say much because many of my thoughts have been expressed except...learn, hunt and introduce some more hunters young and old to trad.

Offline ddauler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2015, 08:44:00 AM »
I plan to build more self bows and keep it simple last year I built several new self bows and killed two deer with them. The satisfaction was unreal. I had drifted away from my wood bow and arrow roots. I am on a continuous journey to improve my shooting form. I llike simple so that I know "I" am the problem not the equipment.
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 47# 64"
Ton of selfbows
Traditional Bowhunters of Georgia
PBS Regular Member

"I have been their friend and mortal enemy. I have so loved them that I longed to kill them. But I gave them far more than a fair chance." Will Thompson

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2015, 11:41:00 AM »
I like trying new bows and arrow configurations, etc. However, I think if I develop greater form consistency, my overall performance both hunting and 3D would benefit more than with any gadgets or gimmicks .
Sam

Offline mangonboat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2015, 12:00:00 PM »
I was so impressed with Brad (Huntmuleys) story last fall that ended, after  many weeks and hundreds of miles of stalking in different kinds of challenging terrain and weather, with a series of great photographs and a decision not to shoot. My goals for 2015 are to get in better shape, keep practicing all sorts of shots in field conditions, hunt every reasonable opportunity, even if its a 30 minute walk from home looking for toms, bunnies or squirrels. It would be a "Dream Season" if I draw back on a good ,close shot on an old doe in December, then ease up and whisper "Godspeed, old girl."
mangonboat

I've adopted too many bows that needed a good home.

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2015, 05:48:00 PM »
My oldest for me "go to" bow I got in 93 and still shooting the same 2018/snuffer setup. My newest is 8 yrs old and shooting 2219/snuffer setup. I find what WORKS then I leave it alone and dont mess with it. B50 strings, aluminum arrows, and snuffer broadheads are constantly the same so I never worry or second guess my equipment. What I am working to improve is my woodcraft to be able to get off 15 yard shots at deer from ground blinds. Having deer at 15 or less yards is one thing, shooting them is something different...........
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Online kstout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2015, 07:05:00 PM »
I hit 60 this year, and was diagnosed with 2 types of cancer in December.  Just started my 3rd month of chemotherapy.  I'm looking forward to turkey hunting in May, hoping to get my 3rd tom with a longbow.  If I can make it into the woods in the fall, and enjoy the cool mornings, fall colors, and possibly see some deer I'll be extremely happy!  So far I have been able to shoot on 2 archery leagues this winter, the chemo has me exhausted at times.  Had to go down from 55#'s to 47#'s on my bow, but can still hit the targets pretty good.  This has changed my outlook on hunting, and target shooting entirely, just glad I can still draw a bow, and watch the flight of the arrow!

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2015, 09:38:00 PM »
Try to keep it simple, don't over think stuff. Sharp BHds kill no matter the number of bevels. Forget all the grunts and smells and stuff, just keep wind straight and keep shots close and broadside.

Shoot ALOT, first arrow is the only arrow that counts in practice for me. Well they all count but  I like to think that first one is THE hunting shot.

Far as methods is I want to go further in my yak and hunt off the waterways even more. No kills doing this this yr but maybe next yr if I can just get out there more in the yak.
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2015, 09:42:00 PM »
Keep your head up kstout! Give the turkeys heck and fall won't be far behind.
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline Krex1010

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2015, 11:13:00 PM »
I plan on shooting until my bows cry uncle. Also, as much as I like talking to all you fellers in the computer box, Id like to find some real live people to shoot with.
"You can't cheat the mountain pilgrim"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©