3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: TV hunting  (Read 1393 times)

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
TV hunting
« on: March 08, 2015, 02:46:00 PM »
I've watched outdoor television (hunting/fishing) shows my entire life.  In doing so, it would seem reasonable that I wouldn't notice a downward trend in alot of the programs, provided that it just got a little more unacceptable every year.  I haven't noticed such a liner digression. It seems that in the last year or two every successful program more heavily involves feeding the deer, naming the deer, focusing solely on the score of the deer, competing with other deer hunting teams for points awarded on who killed what deer with what weapon.  I don't know about anyone else, but I still think ending a hunt by taking a life is kind of a big deal deserving at least SOME reverence. The absurd, rehearsed, fast breathing, jumping and shouting post shot reaction makes a mockery of the animal they just killed. It isn't just deer hunting shows, its anything hunting shows. Its hard to know when the commercial break ends and the show comes back on. Many people look towards large scale media as a guiding source for normative behavior.  Its a sad, but true fact. The attitude towards hunting in general by many tv shows on out door channel(s) cultivates a repugnant new breed of hunter.
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Offline Lassiter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: TV hunting
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 03:11:00 PM »
Brent.........Sadly I agree with you.

Offline Msbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 03:12:00 PM »
I know exactly what you mean. I try to watch those shows sometimes, but they focus way to much on killing and selling products to hold my attention.
"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted"-Jose Ortega y Gasset

Offline Robert Armstrong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 04:12:00 PM »
I think you'r right on the money. I stoped watching it 2 years ago for those very reasons.

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2015, 04:15:00 PM »
Well said and I agree completely.

One thing I do know but still hate seeing but understand the requirements they have to meet.
All of the outdoor stations are "pay to play". Meaning if you want your show to air the network says " OK we will give you a 30 minute time for 300 thousand paid at once and up front ". Then the producer of the show has to sell at least 300 grand for commercial space to pay for the air time. In addition the producer needs more money to pay expenses, wages, etc. So a producer might need to sell 400-450 grand of commercial space for a half hour show....hence all the constant ads, plugs, and commercials.
So I understand...but it is almost laughable when you watch a show.
I actually did a podcast a while back called " don't buy the hype " that talked about this same subject. For that episode I actually counted the plugs, ads, etc in the show and also how many minutes of actual show playing. The numbers are in my podcast and I can't remember them off the top of my head but it was insane! I think actual show play time was about 10 mins or something and about 80 product highlights all in one show not counting commercials.

There is very little good that comes from most of the shows and I rarely watch them.
 But as long as people do watch them they will be here and I don't see them getting any better any time soon.

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 04:39:00 PM »
It's a sad thing that the Hollywood hunters do to make all hunters seem psychotic .    :(
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline BOWMARKS

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2015, 04:43:00 PM »
Its hard to know when the commercial break ends and the show comes back on.  [/QB][/QUOTE]

All you said is correct but this is what really bugs me.   :smileystooges:
Kanati Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Hoot's Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Shrew Classic Hunter 56"-47#@28"

TGMM Family Of The Bow
United Bowhunters of Penna.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Ron Vought

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2015, 04:52:00 PM »
Yeah and did you see that even more of these same people are shooting crossguns verses vertical bows and and somehow correlating it to archery hunting.

Ron

Offline KyStickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2015, 05:01:00 PM »
I stop watching hunting shows a long time ago for all those reasons. They just arent enjoyable to watch.
Aim small...Miss small!!

Offline Bobtulowiecki

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2015, 05:49:00 PM »
Agree 100%. Just had this discussion with one of my close friends. Meateater is the only show I watch now due to its focus on respect of the animal, value of the hunt / journey and different ways to celebrate the harvest through preparing / eating. It's also not a 30 minute commercial like most other shows

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2015, 05:53:00 PM »
another bad part of all that is, this is educating our young hunters to think this is the norm....
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline Charlie3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2015, 06:00:00 PM »
I agree to a point. I disagree that these shows are an accurate representative of young hunters. I'm in my late 20's and can attest that my young friends that hunt laugh at the idiots on the outdoor channel, pursuit, ect.

The worst consequence is if John Q voter happens to tune in and that is his only impression of hunting. Real hunters, for the most part, recognize the stupidity of the behavior mentioned and avoid said behaviors.

Offline TradBrewSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2015, 06:04:00 PM »
I couldn't agree more..

I rarely watch any of the hunting shows anymore as it simply does not interest me to see logos 90% of a show, or hear people complain about how hard the hunting has been when that is what they are doing for a living. I grew up watching these shows and now I just find that it just disgusts me most of the time.

I am 28 yrs old and surrounded by alot of friends that hunt, but very few traditional bowhunters or those that share the same values as I do.

I hear too often from my friends; "What did you kill?" "why do you even hunt if you aren't going to shoot?" or "you know a rifle or compound is much more efficient!"

I don't hunt to kill one bigger that everyone else, although that would be nice. I hunt because I enjoy it and enjoy the challenge of getting that close to game. No matter what they score.

It is just becoming a bit too commercialized even for my young blood. Bowhunting is my escape, not what is going to make or break my year.

Respect the animal not your reputation as slayer, or B&C killing wannabe.

That is all haha.

Offline Goose smasher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2015, 07:01:00 PM »
Hunting shows sure have a way of making you feel bad for shooting a buck that won't make the Boone and Crockett minimums and that is just wrong. If I'm lucky enough to get a shot then I'm going to take it and it doesn't matter to me if someone else doesn't like my deer!

They are nothing but advertisements now anyway. I cancelled cable two years ago and I don't miss it!

Goose smasher
Little Crow Merlin 60" 52# @ 28"
Bear Super Kodiak 60" 55# @ 28"

Online the rifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2015, 07:39:00 PM »
They don't harvest an animal on TV they "Smoked  him".  They don't make any bad shots either--any time they hit the animal--no matter where it is a good shot--but just a little far back--saw some pro hit one in the ham and make that statement.  They almost always recover the animal--I'm thinking the magic of editing keeps us from hearing the rifle shot.  Everyone uses the same over rated underperforming broadhead because they pay to sponsor the show.  Everybody is selling the new growl, grunter, yelper chirper, electronic ozone odor eliminator or space suit that dampens our electronic waves...  Most of the shows are nothing but caged/staged reality acting.  I have had my fill of them.

Offline DTD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2015, 07:46:00 PM »
Brent, sadly I too agree with you. Instead of reverence for the animal and the hunt, it has become a fist pumping,loud whooping, look what I've done, shooting show! I watch very few shows on the Outdoor or Sportsman channels anymore.

Offline Stickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2015, 07:57:00 PM »
If everyone would stop watching it would go away

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2015, 08:10:00 PM »
It is about money.  We do not spend $$$ on the sights, stabilizers, releases and such expensive broadheads, so it may be that our stopping to watch such will make little difference.  The business managers run the sales per month over the number of ads they run on TV and in magazines.  If an increase in the ads do not give them an increase of sales, they delete the ads.  I  do not watch them.  Fist pumping? Really, act like you have taken game before.  It is like running backs dancing in the end zone, like they had never been there before.
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2015, 08:15:00 PM »
I forgot to mention, based on a place up the mountain from my house, some people hunt, or at least shoot up TV sets.  Also bottles, furniture and even phone books.  Idiots
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2015, 08:27:00 PM »
I am probably just old and cranky but I find absolutely NO entertainment in watching "hunting shows".

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©