3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: TV hunting  (Read 1392 times)

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: TV hunting
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2015, 08:37:00 PM »
It seems to be shopping instead of hunting. If you don't hunt over fields and fruit trees that are specifically grown to attract deer or whatever animals, your just not hunting.

Offline agross1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2015, 09:58:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bobtulowiecki:
Agree 100%. Just had this discussion with one of my close friends. Meateater is the only show I watch now due to its focus on respect of the animal, value of the hunt / journey and different ways to celebrate the harvest through preparing / eating. It's also not a 30 minute commercial like most other shows
One of only a few I can watch.  Excellent show.
Silvertip 60"  54#
64 Kodiak 60"  50#

Offline mangonboat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2015, 09:59:00 PM »
My idea of TV hunting was the American Sportsman episodes in the 60's  when Bing Crosby, Phil Harris and Curt Gowdy would go bird hunting for grouse, shaptails, quail or pheasant. They began, ended, and spent every moment in between sincerely  celebrating the beautiful county they hunted, the dogs they hunted over, the game that offered them an opportunity, shots made and missed, and each others company.
mangonboat

I've adopted too many bows that needed a good home.

Offline Krex1010

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2015, 10:24:00 PM »
I could not agree more, I see everyone from men, to women to kids yelling they "smoked him" and it makes me cringe. I see a group of people sitting in a blind next to a feeder or a pile of bait, judging antlers like that's what's important. The attitude of most of these "pro staff" hunters makes me embarassed to be associated with such hunters.  The only show I still watch is meat eater, Steve Rinella rarely archery hunts but he gets it, he respects his quarry, and he represents hunters the way I want to be represented.
"You can't cheat the mountain pilgrim"

Offline Whitetail Addict

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2015, 10:32:00 PM »
I agree. Too much hype, and not enough of what It should be about. I'd rather watch videos on youtube. Some of the traditional hunts keep me right on the edge of my seat.

Bob

Offline Big Lefty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2015, 11:04:00 PM »
The only hunting show I'll watch on TV is MeatEater with Steven Rinella. He primarily hunts with a rifle, but he shows respect for the animals and the show doesn't end when the gun goes off.  He does a great job of explaining why he hunts and he utilizes cuts of meat most people wouldn't consider using.

Offline Kanwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2015, 12:32:00 AM »
Have you also noticed a phrase very common in almost all of these shows, "wow, I can't believe we didn't get more penetration on that shot". I want to scream no ---- sherlock your shooting a 2.5" wide expandable on the end of a straw. While watching one of the most popular shows Tif's husband shot a ram at 120 yards. Well within his range he said. In the beginning archery hunting was enjoyed by the very few who savored the challenge and the simplicity of a stick and string. At least some things don't change. Blessed to be one of those very few.
Black Canyon Longbow 62" 60lbs
Blacktail Recurve 62" 55lbs - 29"
Assenheimer 66" 63lbs - 29"
G 21:20 God was with the lad. He lived in the wilderness and became an archer.

Offline AZ_Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2015, 01:01:00 AM »
We each hunt different,  I see the shows as cattle dressed like deer. They know when the feeders will drop corn. They will run to it  as soon as they hear the motor kick on. It is the high speed competitive focus I find strange. Maybe it's because I am from AZ , every time I see a deer its exciting.  Some people see them as fancy pests with racks to focus on. Its reminds me of tournament fishing,  focused on speed and size rather than fun.
but to them I guess its fun. It just means as we meet these speed hunters we must be a good example,  maybe they will see there are other ways to hunt then. To each there own, there are to few hunters out there to be divided.  And way to many anti hunters.
"There's only two things an arrow wants to do, it wants to fly and it wants to hit its target. It's in its very nature. Don't over think it."

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2015, 06:19:00 AM »
Originally posted by the rifleman:
They don't harvest an animal on TV they "Smoked  him".  They don't make any bad shots either--any time they hit the animal--no matter where it is a good shot--but just a little far back--saw some pro hit one in the ham and make that statement.  They almost always recover the animal--I'm thinking the magic of editing keeps us from hearing the rifle shot.  Everyone uses the same over rated underperforming broadhead because they pay to sponsor the show.  Everybody is selling the new growl, grunter, yelper chirper, electronic ozone odor eliminator or space suit that dampens our electronic waves...  Most of the shows are nothing but
caged/staged reality acting.  I have had my fill of them.
Couldn't say it any better myself!!    :clapper:
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2015, 09:39:00 AM »
A good friend had a Traditional hunting show on Sportsman's for a couple or three years. He used a recurve and his wife shot a compound. They featured beginning archers each show and one of he youth went hunting with them during one episode.

This fellow was a Viet vet which I share so you'll know his age.

He didn't  pump, smoke-em, or try to coin phrases. He appreciated the hunt part of hunting and when he made a "less than stellar shot" he said so.  

Of course his show didn't last.  

I guess he missed the meetings and focus groups that coached TV hunters how they are supposed to act to make a buck.

There must be a widely known formula among the producers of these shows about what it takes to draw an audience. Of course what it takes to draw sponsors is even better known.

I'm making sure my grand children, like my children before them, experience a different model.

I watch a few of the shows if I'm interested in what and how they are hunting. There are certain shows I won't watch even if I received a free preference points for sheep hunting for doing so. Even muting the sound won't make some of these shows and
their hosts tolerable too me.

I really like Fred Eichler. I know he gets very excited but I sense (never met him) he is very genuine.

Online 1Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2015, 10:00:00 AM »
I agree with all of the above statements,the shows are sickening.I like the parts where they have to tell you that they are wearing the "Newest" scent lock this or that ,and not to worry about the wind , just hunt .Just before the shot the game smells them,and runs off, Ah, did you read your own commercial? I'll stick with my 1966  recurve and hunt the way my grandad taught me ,thank you

Offline thumper-tx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2015, 10:07:00 AM »
I just cant watch them, it embarrasses me to be a hunter. Naturally all hunters are not like the ones on TV but for the 80%of the population that dont hunt.... all hunters are just like the ones on TV. It is a thousand wonders that the anti-hunting movement is not much bigger.

Offline Whitetail Addict

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2015, 10:10:00 AM »
I had a long reply written up, but it read more like a rant, so I deleted it. I'll just say this. To me, bowhunting is a close range sport, done quietly with respect to the animals I'm hunting as well as my fellow hunters, and with as little disturbance to the surroundings as possible. With the speed of a longbow, or even a compound bow, It's too easy for something like a whitetail to move between the time my brain tells my fingers to relax, and my arrow gets to the target, so I keep my shots close. As far as all the disrespect and yelling goes, all I can do is shake my head. I'm not putting anybody down, we all have our own ideas of what bowhunting should be. However, and I do hate to say it, but I'd have a hard time standing next to some of the folks I've seen on TV and in the woods too, and calling them a brother in the sport.

Bob

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2015, 10:31:00 AM »
How about the complete and utter disrespect of the infamous "laugh" after the shot. almost 99% of the guys/girls I have seen shoot bucks begin this uncontrollable laugh. I guess it's just nerves, but to the non hunter, it sure looks like killing something is fun and games and leaves little room for thought about what goes into the real world of hunting. The fact that you just killed one of God's creatures and participated in the cycle of life is no laughing matter. I feel like as a society we have become so far detached from the realism and necessities of life.
If you profess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved Romans 10:9

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2015, 12:44:00 PM »
I'm dead set against watching TV completely... Its not JUST the hunting shows that have gone down hill, it's everything on that dad burn squawk box that has deteriorated.

But....There is one guy that has a different take on things that shows respect for the animals he hunts.  Scott Anderson  "Backlands TV"  

here"s a link.... This guy is pretty decent.

http://www.backlandtv.com/

« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2015, 01:28:00 PM »
Every once in a while I try to watch a hunting show, and what I am noticing lately is a) everyone and their uncle who has a GoPro has a show b)they really pound the products at you c)a lot of bad hits with the most expensive hi-tech equipment d)crossbows everywhere and e)HEAVY METAL MUSIC (capital letters for LOUD). None of it is fun to watch, on any level.
So, in lieu of TV shows I have been re-watching old DVDs. Most recently I have been immersed in the Benoit videos about tracking. Even though they are rifle hunters, their focused, down to earth approach  and respect for the animals is refreshing. They lost their father Larry a year and a half ago, and one of the brothers (Lane) last month. There is a lot to learn from their DVDs, quite a legacy.

Offline stonewall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2015, 02:59:00 PM »
I just cant understand why you hardly ever see a pass threw shot. The deer all seem to run off with an arrow hanging in them.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2015, 03:07:00 PM »
I watch 'House Hunters' and that's about it!   :bigsmyl:    :laughing:    :laughing:

Offline Bob Moran

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2015, 04:24:00 PM »
Wow, this thread has really struck a nerve! I'm of the same mind as all of you, "I kill because I love to hunt; I don't hunt because I love to kill". Killing another creature should be done with humility and respect for the animal. Behaving like you just got called down for The Price is Right is not right.
May your friends be as many as the promises you keep.

Offline Sirius Black

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2015, 04:33:00 PM »
I VERY rarely watch hunting shows anymore, even when I was still shooting compounds.
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©