3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Backpack trip for elk on the cheap!!!  (Read 714 times)

Offline mellonhead

• Trad Bowhunter
Backpack trip for elk on the cheap!!!
« on: March 08, 2015, 09:11:00 PM »
Me and a couple buddies have been planning a backpack trip for elk this fall.  I had planned on buying some better gear for this trip, but had some things come up.  My 2nd oldest daughter is getting married this summer.  I have some gear that I'm planning on making work.  I just wanted to throw some ideas past some of the veteran backpackers on here and see what they thought.  

I am planning on using a pack frame I already have.  It has no pack with it just a pack frame.  It is comfortable and I like it.  The plan I had in mind was to use a large stuff sack i have to put all my gear in and lash it to the pack frame.

Planned on using my military bivy with sleeping bag and a Kelty Noahs tarp to give me a little extra protection from the elements.  I also have a mummy shaped sleeping pad that fits in nicely between the bivy and the sleeping bag.

For cooking I am leaning twards using my Trangia alcohol stove and a GSI Hualite kettle.  

I have used these items on backpack trips around my home but this is my first backpack trip out to the western states and was looking for some input.

Toby

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Backpack trip for elk on the cheap!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 09:28:00 PM »
I would not do it and plan on having a comfortable trip. I also would not to far in.  Some alcohol stoves do not burn efficiently at altitude.  I try to keep my pack around 40lbs for a 5 day bivy.
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Chad Orde

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Blog
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 09:30:00 PM »
Toby
Check this ste out great resources Pete did a great job
 http://elkprep.blogspot.com
-------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/@Island_Drifter

https://www.instagram.com/island__drifter/

Failure is the condiment that gives success its flavor. Truman Capote

Offline hawkeye n pa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 09:41:00 PM »
Lot of variables like age, my first trip I was 31 and  packed a 9 pound tent, 16oz propane cylinder etc.  Didn't have much money either and went with what I had.    Now that I'm 58  I have a 2.7 pound tent.  Go prepared though, I've seen the temps drop 40 degrees in a few hours and have had 6" of the wet white stuff  during September.  Stay away from cotton and GOOD LUCK!
Jeff
>>>>---------->
Fear of the Lord is the beginning of Wisdom.

Online fisherick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2015, 10:03:00 PM »
Yes your setup will work. Your comfort levels may not be great as compared to other gear. I have used similar equipment on my first trips. I also used the Trangia alcohol stove at 9300' with Ok results.(uses more fuel)  Use what you have, train hard and enjoy your trip.

Online stevem

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 10:05:00 PM »
I would encourage you to look for a used pack to go with your frame.  I use Kelty external backpacks - sure is nice to have pockets and easy access to items.  Like Night Stalker says, alcohol stoves don't like cold or wind.  I would also take some esbit tablets or whatever they are called for backup.  If your sleeping bag and system is light, use it.  I suggest you not go so far from the truck you can't hike out in a few hours if you get drenched and/or dumped on.  Sounds like some fun times coming!
"What was big was not the fish, but the chance.  What was full was not the creel, but the memory" - Aldo Leopold   "Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement"- Will Rogers

Offline PistolPete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2015, 10:19:00 PM »
Thanks for the compliment, Chad.

Toby, I have done a lot of elk hunting (and killing and packing) on a tight budget. My pack cost $80 new (LL Bean Hunter's Carryall), my shoes $50 (inov-8 245 on sale), my pants were $30, my jacket was $30, rain gear $15, on and on... It can be done!

As to stove, I'd recommend making your own wood-burning stove--mine cost $10 and weighs 4 oz. I wrote an article on it on my aforementioned blog,    here .

Offline knobby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2015, 10:25:00 PM »
If you've got experience with, and trust your present gear, use it if that's what you can afford right now. It may not be the lightest system on the mountain, but you'll at least be out there enjoying the adventure. Sure beats staying home and dreaming about it. Just work extra hard on conditioning with that gear on your back. Good luck!

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2015, 10:38:00 PM »
It's ok that you don't have a pack for your frame. But that stuff sack better be waterproof.  Chances are you will encounter rain. And if your bivy bag or pack gets wet. You're gonna be in a world of hurt.  Having dry clothes is essential.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2015, 11:16:00 PM »
A larger canoe style dry bag would work well and once at the camp site can be used to hoist food, toiletries etc up a tree if you are prone to doing that.
CHuckC

Offline forester45

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2015, 01:07:00 AM »
Toby, my son works in Montana building trails, he camps out weeks at a time and all he uses are his Trangia stoves to cook on.

Offline forester45

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2015, 01:09:00 AM »
Toby, my son works in Montana building trails, he camps out weeks at a time and all he uses are his Trangia stoves to cook on. He has done this for a good many years and swears by them.

Offline forester45

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2015, 01:10:00 AM »
Sorry for the double post

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2015, 08:53:00 AM »
Nothing wrong with the Triangia and haulite kettle, I'm used mine all over the US and never had any issues with the pair.  I've even fried a few grouse in the kettle with excellent results.  I usually use a Tarptent Contrail that I picked up used on the big auction site but I see no reason why your bivy and tarp setup shouldn't work.  I like the sea to summit eVent dry bags to strap to a pack frame in the situation you describe.  I'd say with a good bag or quilt and pad appropriate for the temps you'll see you should be in pretty good shape!

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2015, 09:33:00 AM »
Look up Gill Verwey, he did a pretty extensive post on this very subject, I think it was called " come with me on an elk hunt "

Good luck.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2015, 04:03:00 PM »
Don't know squat about the elk deal - hoping to gt set up for mule deer this yr.

Cant go wrong with the little trangia stoves. I use em a lot on the boat, camping out the yak or on the skiff. I just have a burner right now with a tri fold stand, any pot you care to carry works on it.

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline mellonhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2015, 04:42:00 PM »
Thanks for all the info guys.  I have used this gear alot just never in the mountains.  One huge benefit is it takes very little to make me comfortable!!  I know alot of people do not like the confinement  of a bivy, but I find them very versitile and handy for all the more space they take up in the pack.  

I plan on posting some updates on gear and weights as I work out my pack load.  

Toby

Offline PistolPete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2015, 09:23:00 PM »
Hey Toby--my best tip in preparing is to buy a kitchen scale and make a spreadsheet of every piece of gear you plan on taking, and its weight. That will really help you focus your pack list and get rid of all the unnecessary stuff! Sounds like you're well on your way--being familiar with your gear is essential.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2015, 09:40:00 PM »
Toby, I sent you my gear list to give you some idea how I measure everything. The list is ever changeing depending on the hunt, lengh of stay, etc.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2015, 09:41:00 PM »
Toby, I sent you my gear list to give you some idea how I measure everything. The list is ever changeing depending on the hunt, lengh of stay, etc.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©