3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Canting and accuracy  (Read 372 times)

Online Ulysseys

• Trad Bowhunter
Canting and accuracy
« on: March 09, 2015, 07:18:00 PM »
The last month or two I've been working on being more "technical" in my shooting, after switching from a longbow to a recurve.  I can't say that it's going incredibly well so today I decided to just cant my recurve and shoot the same way I shot my longbow.  My accuracy and consistency immediately improved exponentially.  Anyone else ever experience this?  I feel like its directly related to canting the bow.
Type inspirational or witty quote here

Offline TradBrewSC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Canting and accuracy
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 07:23:00 PM »
I cant shoot well without canting a fair amount. I have tried the more vertical Olympic style and it just does not work for me. I like a larger field of view.

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 08:08:00 PM »
The first question I would ask both of you, do you draw all the way ?

I shoot both LB and recurve, straight up or canted, no real difference, that is why I ask the above question.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Online Ulysseys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 08:18:00 PM »
I feel like I draw all the way olympic style but short draw when canting, which is what has me confused.  Technically speaking I think my form is bad when I cant, I'm somewhat hunched and short drawing the bow, yet I pack arrows.  Shooting the way I've been practicing I "think" my form is decent, I'm upright, elbow behind the arrow, drawing further, double anchoring, and following through with a dynamic release but my consistency was mush.
Type inspirational or witty quote here

Online Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2015, 08:28:00 PM »
I find that my wrist naturally cants the bow. To shoot vertical requires that I think about and control one more thing. Since I feel my equipment is more accurate than me I try to let it do what it does with minimal interface on my end short of simply aiming it. Then again I'm not Byron F. or an Olympic grade shooter.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Offline TradBrewSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2015, 08:29:00 PM »
I feel like I am coming to full draw. I dont lean into the shot to much, but cant get my elbow aligned well without canting the bow.

Offline Jake Scott

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2015, 09:30:00 PM »
"Leaning into the shot" doesn't have an affect on draw length IF your form is correct.  It could be any number of things.  A couple checks to see if you are short drawing.  The best is to have someone film you, and watch the videos.  This is an incredible tool for evaluating your form.  If you can't identify the problem, post the video up in the form forum and let this site works it's magic.  I fought short drawing for a long time.  I very rarely do it anymore, but when I do it's extremely evident in my arrow flight.  Move back past 25 yards and shoot.  This will greatly magnify any short draw problems, if they're there.

Jake
FORM FORM FORM FORM

TGMM family of the bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©