3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What is your arrow of choice?  (Read 1621 times)

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: What is your arrow of choice?
« Reply #60 on: March 26, 2015, 12:56:00 PM »
Originally posted by fujimo:
i love spruce- its super tough, and lighter than fir, i can up the weight with heavier tips, and get a better FOC %. and get a good hunting weight arrow or more- the shaft is just the delivery system for the broad head- i tend to focus on the B / head more!
The Sitka Spruce shafts I've received from Hildebrand have been quite good.  Sitka has the highest strength to weight ratio of all woods and has a fiberous structure that makes it quite tough.  Its light weight really lends sitka toward the use of heavy heads and a higher FOC than other wood types.  It's too bad that the spine maxes out at about 75 lbs.  Altho I still prefer fir, I have used Sitka with excellent results and a good friend used a Sitka arrow I made him and a 225 gr Tuffhead to kill a pig earlier this month.

I killed this pig a few years ago with a Sitka arrow with 50 gr of lead up the nose and a 190 gr VPA Terminator 3 blade.  FOC was pretty high for a wood arrow.  Entered at last rib and stopped in opposite shoulder.

Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©