3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Weight forward arrows  (Read 476 times)

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Weight forward arrows
« on: March 10, 2015, 05:03:00 PM »
Does a higher weight forward make a more forgiving spine ?
What I am asking is have you noticed with heavy heads like 200gr. Can you get away with a little out of perfect spine by let's say 10# ?
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Kris

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Weight forward arrows
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 05:12:00 PM »

"Can you get away with a little out of perfect spine by let's say 10# ?"

It enables you to shoot a heavier spine arrow, not necessarily "more forgiving" all the way around.

In other words, if you had a shaft that was 10# lighter in deflection (spine) than you should have and you front loaded w/200 grains, you would be further from where you want to be, than say just putting 125 grains up front.

If you have stiff spine arrows per your bow weight, front load them until you have reduced the dynamic spine to match your bow weight.  

Bare shaft tuning or paper tuning can help identify appropriate spine and hence, good arrow flight.

Hope this helps -

Kris

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 05:26:00 PM »
I was just wondering because they appear to look like they stabilize quicker .
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Kris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 05:41:00 PM »
Then they likely do for you out of your bow...there is no one size fits all.  You didn't really provide any detail to predict it one way or the other.  FoC & EFoC arrows are shown to recover faster...all else being equal.

If it works for you...perfect!  I shoot high FoC...I wouldn't have it any other way.

Kris

Online imbowhunt10

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 07:21:00 PM »
What Kris said
Never measure the mountain until you have reached the top, then you will see how low it is.

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2015, 08:11:00 PM »
From what I believe is you shoot a heavier spine so you have to shoot a heavier point to get the arrow to shoot straight.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2015, 09:53:00 PM »
Following Ashby's words, if I recollect, the quicker stabilization is not unknown.
CHuckC

Offline Sapcut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2015, 10:06:00 PM »
Depending on how the arrow is built and the manner in which the FOC is created, a high FOC arrow has a much wider spine window than a low FOC  arrow. Unless you end up on either extreme end of said spine window, the "forgiveness" of a high FOC is significant.  

For example, when I bareshaft my 32-35% FOC broadhead tipped arrows, even though the shaft may kick left showing weak.....the arrow still hits the spot straight on.
Black Widow PSAX 71@31
Faith is Life

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2015, 02:27:00 PM »
Sapcut , that's kinda what I was thinking and noticing .
I have not shot heavy FOC arrows much , I have shied away from them because of cross wind problems . The high FOCs will fly sideways in a strong cross wind and a low FOC will stay straighter but drift .
But there is always a price to pay . But I am thinking the high FOC might have more advantages .
Both sides of this subject have good points .
And for me this is the best time of the yeah to experiment with it .

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Sapcut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2015, 06:07:00 PM »
The high FOC may kick one way or the other with a decent cross wind but then correct itself and stay on course.  That is lots better than a low FOC arrow that moves off course totally missing the target.  

IMO, there is no comparison between the benefits of the two. A tuned extremely high FOC arrow will forever be my only option.
Black Widow PSAX 71@31
Faith is Life

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2015, 09:47:00 PM »
If you click on my signature and go to my podcast site then click videos.
I have 2 videos on high efoc flight. One is in a 30 plus mph cross wind at 25 yards. Other video is bar shaft shooting a high efoc shaft with a huge broadheads at 22 yards.
I shoot a 30 efoc arrow and will never shoot anything less. Only compaint is I spent all these years not shooting a 30% efoc arrow.

Offline Sam Mashni

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2015, 08:00:00 AM »
read Ed Ashby's reports on heavy arrows and FOC. it is like LB hntr says memorize the arc.
Thank you

Sam

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©