3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Crack In Riser  (Read 685 times)

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Crack In Riser
« on: March 10, 2015, 08:19:00 PM »

I've included 2 pictures of a small crack that just showed up on my riser this evening. Look towards the back of the bow at the below the green lamination in the sight window. Its small, but I only shot about 5 arrows prior to noticing it. I shot 15 more and it doubled in size.  Given the location it would be hard to miss.  I've shot this bow ALOT since 2009.  It has survived 1 broken nock and 2 broken strings. No true dry fires. The first string break was in 2010 and the second was about 1 month ago, even though the string did not break all the way but pretty close. A loop broke and the bow snapped into unstrung position, although the remnants of the string kept the limbs from fly forward. The crack looks like one of the laminations is lifting and the glue line is failing.  I've tried to make enough bows to know what that looks like. Is this leading to the end of the line for this bow or can it be saved?
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Offline Homebru

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Crack In Riser
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 08:43:00 PM »
Any chance that lamination goes right up to the limb bolt?  Looks just off center of the riser.
homebru

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 09:02:00 PM »
You might try loctite 420 super glue.Its super thin and wicks into cracks deeply.

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 09:12:00 PM »
I'll try gluing it, I've heard that works.  Homebru- The angle lies.  When the bow is held vertically this crack is perfectly plumb with the center of the limb bolt.
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Online Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 09:14:00 PM »
She is gonna bust. Been there done that. Bows break. Usually only your favorite. Sucks. Order up a new one and enjoy!
Tedd

Offline Warden609

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2015, 09:19:00 PM »
I hate that for you. Good luck with it.

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2015, 09:42:00 PM »
I hate to hear it, but it seems like this bow has lived its life.  Now I'll just have to put it out to pasture on my wall.  Under a light I can see a very, very thin crack emerging along the laminate stemming from the crack shown in the picture.  It makes me feel bad, this was my first custom bow and one that I shot paper rounds the very best with.
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Online j.j.johnston

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2015, 10:04:00 PM »
Bad news but it will break.  Worse news is if you are at full draw, it will hurt....a lot!  I have had three come apart and each was painful.

Each was a complete surprise, no clue it was coming.  No visible issues beforehand.
60" Toelke Whistler 42@28
60” Toelke Chinook T/D 47@28
60" Toelke Whistler T/D 52@29
60” Toelke Whistler T/D 45@28

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2015, 11:35:00 PM »
I wouldn't trust it considering the location & that it's seen some dramatic action you've described.  

Busting a knock is just like a dry fire as far as the bow is concerned...  Time to retire the old girl i'm afraid.

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2015, 09:49:00 AM »
in an effort to save the bow, cover the whole area in epoxy(bellow and back) then wrap tight with some sinew! This will hold up for at least another 2 or 3 shots!

I am joking.  Sorry to see that.  I have dry fired  my widow once.. it scared the day lights out of me..
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline ed cowden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2015, 10:37:00 AM »
I would think the bow maker that made the bow could make a new riser for your limbs or included your limbs in a whole new bow of different weight or length. Good thing is now that Rutland burned down you may choose a good hardwood riser.
  Loosing a bow is kind of like loosing a dog. Its hurts pretty bad until you get the new pup.

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2015, 03:40:00 PM »
This time you may think strongly about getting a bow with a phenolic I beam. Since I have gone to building the majority of my risers with a Phenolic I beam I have not had a single broken or cracked riser. The other bowyers I have talked with that build with phenolic or glass I beams has said the same thing. It sounds like your bow has lived a good life. Time to put her away and get a new one. I would never shoot another arrow through that bow been there and was blessed with just a knot on my forehead but it could have been a lost eye.

God bless, Steve

Offline foxbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2015, 05:26:00 PM »
You guys surely know more than I do, but my eyes can barely see a tiny crack.
N/A

Offline Wheels2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2015, 05:44:00 PM »
Contact the maker....
Ask them.
Super Curves.....
Covert Hunter Hex9h
Morrison Max 6 ILF
Mountain Muffler strings to keep them quiet
Shoot as much weight as you can with accuracy

Offline Pointer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2015, 06:17:00 PM »
See if you can get another riser from the bowyer. I don't know that I'd shoot that anymore. Had one break at full draw once....not fun

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2015, 06:34:00 PM »
Just a thought but it is possible to cross drill and add  rods with epoxy, I would add two. Pre glue with pro strength super glue and then drill clear through and epoxy in a couple of rods. I can't guarantee it but it should hold if you do it right. You might even do it with really good hardwood dowels like 5'16 or three eithths diameter. Use a good long cure epoxy for that part. The wood would acutally take the epoxy better than the steel or brass and bond better to the original wood.
 You still might want to get another riser built.
Whoever built your bow may even have a spare riser built.
However the best bet is to get another bow.
God bless, Steve

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2015, 08:02:00 PM »
Thanks for all the bad news, I tinker but I'm not qualified to make a potentially dangerous bow potentially safe again.  I spoke with the bowyer and they can build a new riser. I told them just where the crack was and they advised me not to trust it.  Atleast that bow was what I shot wintertime indoors leagues with, now that those are over, getting it up and running again isn't a frantic priority.
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Offline atatarpm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2015, 12:37:00 PM »
Do your  own thing,  but it's done! Been there done that,  not fun when it fails!
Atatarpm   "Traditional Archery is a mastery of one's self ; not of things."
71# Qarbon Nano
67# T2 Blacktail
85lbs Bama
100lbs Bama
60lbs Big D's Long Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©