3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Whats the best to order in a 3d bow  (Read 561 times)

Offline postman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Whats the best to order in a 3d bow
« on: March 11, 2015, 09:47:00 AM »
Considering a bow just for 3ds. Like to know what the best length and poundage would be in a longbow. Thanks.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Whats the best to order in a 3d bow
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 10:02:00 AM »
I like 64-68......as far as poundage, that's a personal thing. You would want a weight that you can shoot well and shoot all day. If your pooped on target #28 on a 40 target course your to heavy.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Sam Mashni

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 10:12:00 AM »
I am just a newbie but i shoot what i will be hunting with. All in 48-53 # range.
Thank you

Sam

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 10:48:00 AM »
I also shoot my hunting rig. Currently, that is a 55# @28 inch draw one bow and 53# @28 inches on the other. Since I only pull 25" both are probably performing in the upper 40# range. I have always shot my hunting bows in 3D, even back in the days when I could pull 70# stuff.
Sam

Offline kat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 11:02:00 AM »
To me; it depends on how many 3-D shoots you are going to do. Personally, I like about a 64" bow, and about 5#'s less than I hunt with. When it is getting close to fall, I switch back to my hunting rig.
Ken Thornhill

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 11:31:00 AM »
I'm not a serious 3D shooter these days. But I've always shot what I intended to hunt with because that was one of the ways I prepared for hunting season.  I have no idea about LBs.

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2015, 11:42:00 AM »
Too many unkown variables to help you out with a good answer.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2015, 11:56:00 AM »
Be aware that different 3D meets have different requirements, re: shooting off the shelf, stabilizers, arrows, poundage, type of bow, etc. Some have strict requirements, others are pretty casual. Make sure that whatever you get qualifies to shoot in whatever tourneys you're interested in.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2015, 12:33:00 PM »
There is no 'best bow'.  There's probably a 'best bow for you'...but no way that any of us can tell you what bow that would be.

:campfire:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Jack Hoyt 75

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2015, 07:22:00 PM »
As others said above we cant say what is right for you only you can. But...

I will say the 66" 38#@29" Fox Triple Crown with micarta/Cocobolo riser and yew/carbon/black glass limbs I got from Ron in December is amazing! !!!!
   :clapper:
Hill Country Bows - RER

TGMM, Compton Traditional Bowhunters, NWTF Member
Indiana NWTF State Board Member
Indiana Bowhunter Association Member

Offline caligator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2015, 09:10:00 PM »
I've been shooting a 64"40#@31 Eaglewing Steppe Eagle and have shoot the best I ever have. Shot my personal best 540/600 at the TBOF this past weekend with alot of shots just missing. I bet I shot way over a hundred shot and never got tired. I would keep the weight down and go longer  in length, but everyone is different.
The welfare of the state depends upon the morals of its citizens.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2015, 12:01:00 AM »
If you plan on shooting hundreds of arrows a day and want a lighter weight bow that doesn't tear you up so bad, that a good thing... The bow itself is personal preference.

Most guys like to shoot the same set up they are going to hunt with so all their practice becomes instinctive when the moment of truth arrives during hunting season.

Personally i like a lighter bow for 3d than hunting so i don't tear myself up so bad shooting my heavy poundage bow too much. What i do is set up my 3D bow so the arrow travels the same speed as my hunting set up. This way your trajectory is exactly the same from a 45# bow to your 55# elk rig.... Best of both worlds brutha...  

I shoot lighter weights until July, then break out my heavy hitter to get used to the extra weight. i shoot less arrows with my heavy limbs, but get in shape real quick.

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2015, 01:41:00 AM »
Longbow or recurve go with a longer bow. The weight you select is on you but good advise so far on a lighter weigth for all day shooting. Tournaments may only require One arrow per target but you will have fatigue from walking, the weather if hot, waiting between shots, etc.
I also use a lighter arrow, helps when you miss judge the range. I love my longbows but shoot recurves better. Which works best for you?

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2015, 10:53:00 AM »
When I used to shoot 3D all the time....
I used my Hunting set up.
    Average shots for the 3D was 84 so I trained my self to shoot up to 150 shots.
   At the end of the course I was warmed up and ready to shoot again....
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2015, 01:56:00 PM »
I use my hunting bow for everything. No sense messing with my pea brain any more than necessary.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2015, 10:03:00 PM »
Originally posted by Pat B:
I use my hunting bow for everything. No sense messing with my pea brain any more than necessary.
:thumbsup:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2015, 07:20:00 AM »
Originally posted by Pat B:
Absolutely - beside, I need all the practice I can get with it.
SWA Spyder

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2015, 09:29:00 AM »
Kirk dropped a lot of wisdom with his post.  

I think dropping to a lighter bow will only make you better with your heavier bow.  I.E.  we all know that a heavier bow gives you a better release because it "pulls" the string right out of your hands.  So what happens to your hunting set up when you can release the #35 bow as smooth as butter?  

I would do as kirk stated, drop weight, drop arrow weight and have the same cast as your hunting rig.  Great Idea.
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2015, 01:33:00 AM »
I shoot alot of IBO events around the country. It was mentioned about organizations rules. IBO has two classes for Longbow.One is Longbow and the other is Modern Longbow. I shoot a modern Longbow (3piece) with aluminum arrows. Longbow class is 1or2 piece with wood arrows. After deciding what type longbow then the rest is easy.You will have a great time. By the way stay with a weight that you can perform best with.I shoot 37#.Alot of the best 3d shooters use bows from 30 to mid 40s.If your over bowed your form will suffer. Good luck.

Offline Margly

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2015, 04:40:00 PM »
I would recommend a bow in the 40-45@drawlength area! Its comfortable to shoot and if you put in a plungerhole Its easy to tune for hunting when not competing of the shelf     :archer2:
With a healthy dose of madness and bad memory, life`s a wonderful journey      :thumbsup:    

-----------------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©