3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: having trouble paper tuning my 50# montana  (Read 464 times)

Offline Pryor

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: having trouble paper tuning my 50# montana
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2015, 11:27:00 AM »
I am using feathers on my arrows.  I have some old carbon arrows for my compound but they have blazers, on them.  I think I have some gold tip velocity arrows that I first started out with that might be 400 spine (I think they were 5575).  I am going to try lip sticking my bow.  If I do have contact, how do I correct the problem.  It seemed like changing the brace height didn't do much for my tares.  thanks again guys. deffinantly going to shoot from further back and watch the arrow today.
Learn to work, and you can learn to do anything.

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2015, 08:15:00 PM »
You'll try anything?
Humor me try this try shooting split finger
Nock point about 1/2 to  5/8. Without cardboard and with cock feather in.
Tim.

Offline Cootling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2015, 10:04:00 PM »
Six inches tail left is really bad.  Given the fact that your arrows are not THAT badly underspined, I think they are too stiff and you have a clearance problem.  Other symptoms point that way as well.  For example, improving the situation by moving the strike plate out could be improving clearance of the arrow shelf, rather than resolving an issue with arrow spine.

Try shooting with split fingers, hooking the string deep in the first joint (not out on fingertips), and with nocks rotated so your cock feather is up.  If that doesn't work, try a lighter spine arrow... say a 2016 or a carbon 500 with a bunch of weight up front.

Must be frustrating that no two of us give the same advice... but I think I'm right.    ;)

Offline Pryor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2015, 10:34:00 AM »
Alright, I've tried almost all of your suggestions, except bare shafting.  Turning the cock feather in, and shooting split fingers seamed to help a little, but it destroyed my shooting. I used lip stick, and only mark I could find was from my cock feather on the riser, about 3/8 above the shelf.  With the cock feather out, I couldn't find a mark.  So I got some thick leather and glued it to my existing stock strike plate.  Shooting almost bullet holes.  I think one of my problems was shooting off of my finger tips, instead of making a good hook.  It seemed in my mind that barely holding the string would help with release, but that is not the case.  With a good hook deep in the first joint It improved my shooting almost instantly.  hooking really helped me hit my second lock after release more consistently. So In the end, shimmed out strike plate and cock feather in is best results( with some improvement on my hook).  I am going to shoot like crazy for the next week, and then put my broad heads on and see what happens.  This forum is awesome.  My pro shop here is terrible, and they make me feel stupid for asking questions, like I should know the answers.  Not going to mention names but it is the only one in Grand Junction CO. Any how it feels like I'm on track and just need to work on my form and shooting. Thanks for all the advise.  I'm sure you will be hearing from me again at some point.  If I am lucky enough to kill a bird next month (over the counter, public land) I will try and post some pictures.
Learn to work, and you can learn to do anything.

Offline Pivo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2015, 06:12:00 PM »
I think it's your arrow length. If your was cut to 28.5 you would prob be alright. Find some .400 ish grains arrows and add weight if need be. I bet you are way below 10 grains per pound also.

Offline bear mike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2015, 08:07:00 AM »
I have a 50 Montana I shoot it with a brace of 8in and a gold tip full length 5575 with a 100gr insert and a 145 tip and have shot up to a 200 grain tip and shoots like a lazer

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©