3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Target for broadhead use????  (Read 565 times)

Offline Rudy Cariello

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Target for broadhead use????
« on: March 11, 2015, 10:34:00 PM »
What are you folks using? I've yet to find one that holds up very well.
It's a good day for something.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Target for broadhead use????
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 11:51:00 PM »
Rinehart 18-1 Target   These things are great!  contact Big Jim

Offline Bldtrailer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2015, 12:04:00 AM »
Blob target
As we get older our bow weight goes down and our body weight goes up, One of Lifes little jokes.
Bringing Archery to
 Wounded Warriors

Offline shreffler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2015, 08:15:00 AM »
I've taken a cardboard box and filled it with a can of expandable spray foam then taped it shut with great results. Cost about $3 and will last through an entire season of getting my bow set up.
"If you're not bowhunting, your spirit is on standby." - Uncle Ted

Online Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2015, 08:27:00 AM »
like sheffler above except sprayed into a trash bag then tie and shape into something before it fully sets up.
"Us vs Them"

Offline Lineman72

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2015, 10:45:00 AM »
I've tried many targets and the one Kirk is showing is the one I'm currently using. Awesome product. Holding up very well to my 300 grain single bevel bh
Form form form
Fun fun fun

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2015, 11:13:00 AM »
At home, I use the 18:1 Rinehart also.  The blob is great but more of a permanent type target.  There is no moving that thing around.      :)  

I don't shoot a lot of broadheads at my target.  Only to tune bow.  I probably should shoot more BHs but I don't.

For around the camp with BHs I do a medium pizza box filled with the foam like the others were mentioning.  Weight it down with a heavy pan to prevent the box from becoming deformed while the foam is expanding.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2015, 01:54:00 PM »
I have a foam block like Bldtrailer has pictured. I'm on my second one and it is almost shot out but still works. Been using them for about 10 years I guess. I traded 4 osage seedlings for my first one at the Hickory shoot in NC and paid about $30 for the second one. I don't know what they cost now but I imagine more than that.
 I've shot commercial broadheads, trade points and stone points at it and it works well for them all.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline monsterbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2015, 09:29:00 PM »
X2 on the blob target
John 3:16  Whosoever Will

Offline greg fields

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2015, 10:15:00 PM »
straw bales banded together as tight as you can get them, are all i've used for years.  $12-15 dollars for 3 and they last for 2-4 years depending on usage and weather...  When they get shot up that the arrows fly through them, I reband them and they are like new again..  They are a bit harder on fletching, but that is no big deal to me.  I just refletch when needed.

Offline shag08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2015, 12:48:00 AM »
I really like the looks of that blob target. I'm in desperate need of another target. I've got 5 different targets in the yard and they are all cut to pieces....I've got pieces of a 3D deer filling up holes in foam blocks. My bale and bag targets aren't in much better condition.

Seriously considering the blob. Looks like it'll run about $130 if I go pick it up in North Georgia. I'm headed down that way in a couple weeks anyways, so I may kill two birds with one stone.

Couple questions for you guys who have them...how hard is it to pull arrows out (do I risk inserts pulling out in the target)? And will big, vented 3 blade Snuffers pull it apart?

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2015, 03:17:00 AM »
If you know someone in the foam spraying business, they can make one for you real quick.  The local guy sprays several different density foams.

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2015, 09:38:00 AM »
I had the blob target and fell apart in about a year.
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline bosteldr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2015, 10:04:00 AM »
Free---Go to Big R or Rural King or Tractor Supply what ever is in your region.  In the trailer area they ship Foam Spacers that are about 18''x8''x8'' blocks.  Get 4 or more and make your own for free.  Get a few new blocks each yr.  I just ask the manager and take what I need.  Lot of foam blocks available in the spring trailer shipments.

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2015, 12:04:00 PM »
My blob targets have sat outside for many years and the weather doesn't seem to affect them. Broadheads, trade points and stone points all pull out easily. I wouldn't use it for stone or trades if they didn't.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2015, 08:54:00 AM »
I love my Rinehart 18-1 pictured at the top.

Going to get one of their deer targets before long
Associate PBS member NRA member DU and Pheasants Forever

Offline Pryor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2015, 11:20:00 AM »
I bought the Block last season, before elk, and exclusively shot broad heads in it.  For all the hype, and advertising what a P.O.S. Lasted maybe 3 months before It would not stop my compound arrows.  It Is still stopping my traditional stuff, but can only shoot at the corners, and no broad heads.  I have a friend who shoots the rinehart 18 in 1 and it has lasted him 2 years.  that is going to be my next investment.
Learn to work, and you can learn to do anything.

Offline NY Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Wooden Bows, Wooden Arrows and 2-Blade Broadheads
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2015, 11:45:00 AM »
Styrofoam block from Wal-Mart. Works real well and 18 bucks lasts a couple seasons for me.
"Elk don't know how many feet a horse has!"
Bear Claw Chris Lapp

Offline don kauss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2015, 12:03:00 PM »
If it will be outside, and moving it around isn't necessary, you can make a broadhead bunker...dig out the dirt and fill with sand...archery clubs have been doing it forever...works great...never have to replace it...if you are interested, I can send you some pics/measurements of the one I made...
Your Chicken from McDonald's, Tyson Foods, or Perdue Farms spent most of it's life stuffed in a cage with three or four others, occupying a space about the size of a book page...None for me, thanks...

Offline halfseminole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2015, 08:05:00 PM »
Can someone link me on these blob targets?  I need something for the heavy bows and very heavy arrows from my Asian setups.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©