3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Technical Clothing/Sitka, Kuiu, etc  (Read 750 times)

Offline Kevin Hansen

• Trad Bowhunter
Technical Clothing/Sitka, Kuiu, etc
« on: March 12, 2015, 11:57:00 AM »
Hello, all.
I'm in the process of replacing some well-worn, decades old hunting clothing. As I do my research in selecting pants, shirts, jackets, and such I realize I know nothing about the new (new to me anyway) "technical" clothing. I've perused the past threads here, emailed the company reps, and read other reviews, and still have a few unanswered questions. I'm hoping the members of Trad Gang can help me out.
1) The term "athletic fit" makes me nervous. I need pants that are roomy in the seat and thighs. "Athletic fit" conjures up images of slim fit type jeans which are an absolute no go for me. I want/need pants where the legs fit me without having to get a waist size 2 sizes bigger than it needs to be. Thoughts?
2) I've always liked cotton and wool because of it's organic, comfortable feel no matter what the temp is. The polyester type material (might not be polyester, but it appears that way) of the new technical clothing makes me think of the old original polyester dress clothes of the 70's that were stifling hot in the summer and freezing cold in the winter. I'm sure this is not like that, but I would like to hear some first hand accounts from those who wear it in both hot and cold weather.
3) I think less bulk would be a definite advantage of the newer clothing, but just how good does it do in the cold? Can you really get by with just a couple of layers? By cold I'm talking single digits to below zero.
4) How does the durability compare to my old cotton and wool garments?
5) How is the overall comfort? I know this is subjective, but I'm trying to get a big picture consensus.
6) Anything else I haven't thought to ask?
Thanks much for your input. I look forward to what I'm going to learn.

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Technical Clothing/Sitka, Kuiu, etc
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 12:28:00 PM »
First, I would think if your talking about the new systems they are all about layering.  Meaning, next to skin, a mid layer, and then your outer wear.  Having used many I mix my clothing up between FirstLite , Kuiu, and Sitka.  I would have to say IMO I like the FirstLite for fit and quality the most.  It is so tough to make choices on clothing when you can't get your hands on it to see for yourself.  But for the future I'm going to try to stick with FirstLite.  I have been very pleased with all aspects of their clothing pieces.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2015, 01:09:00 PM »
You need to try some on. I can easily slip into a Sitka XL jacket and can't even get close to the Kuiu XL I bought for my son-he is an 'Athletic Fit'- I used to be one too.
So fit is a concern, but the quality materials and workmanship from both companies is really outstanding-even though both are now made in China. You can't go wrong with either if they fit-find what you like and stick with it. One more thing: if you stalk you must walk a little bow-legged or suffer that 'swish swish' sound-it is subtle but present. A white tail or hog will pick it up-how do I know?

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2015, 01:25:00 PM »
I don't know anything about hunting in single digit weather so I can't help you there.  
    :biglaugh:    

I will however say that while Kuiu and Sitka are FANTASTIC lines of clothing , they are designed to be  more of an "on the go" type system and not a "sit in the stand" from dawn to dusk system.  Just something to think about.  The exception may be Sitka's fanatic system
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2015, 01:45:00 PM »
If I were just hunting whitetails in MN, ND, I would continue to use my old wools and various camo bought over the years.

For me the benefit of say Sitka is lightweight, water repellant, abrasion resistant  and well worth it for elk hunting in CO.  That is why I bought it.

None of it would keep me warm enough for hunting in Nov, Dec.  that is what my Heater suit is for, and it does it very well.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Online Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2015, 01:46:00 PM »
I am a huge fan of First Lite gear, have everything except their Sanctuary Jacket.

I am 6' 1.5" and was 230# during hunting season. Slimmed down a bit and will be under 200# by the time spring be a rolls around. I think the Kanabs by First Lite are fantastic. I bought a large and they were slightly baggy, I have a football players legs and hips haha.
Associate PBS member NRA member DU and Pheasants Forever

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2015, 02:31:00 PM »
I bought a pair of Sitka Assent pants about 6 years ago.  I liked them so much that I picked up the 90% pants and 90% Jacket.  I wear one of the pairs of pants and the jacket for 95 percent of the times I hunt.  Very Cold weather and I put on my Silent Predator Wool.  

I have a pile of camo hunting cloths that never see the woods since I bought my Sitka pieces.  And that includes plenty of days on stand out east. During my western hunts this stuff really shines if you are moving.   Durability is unmatched.  

No experience with Kuiu except the one piece I bought I sent back because the fit was to tight.
T ZZZZ

Offline johnnyk71

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2015, 03:01:00 PM »
Originally posted by Iowabowhunter:
I am a huge fan of First Lite gear, have everything except their Sanctuary Jacket.

I am 6' 1.5" and was 230# during hunting season. Slimmed down a bit and will be under 200# by the time spring be a rolls around. I think the Kanabs by First Lite are fantastic. I bought a large and they were slightly baggy, I have a football players legs and hips haha.
i will second all of this. i am similar sized (o.k., heavier, haha!). i do have the Sanctuary jacket, and i love it. First Lite is first rate with me! most of my stuff is 2X. worth every penny.
All lefty, all the time...
Martin Hatfield 45#@28"
Liberty Chief Elite 53#
Blacktail Elite V.L. 53#
Maddog Prairie Predator 51#
Sheepeater Spirit 50#
RER Retro 53#
RER LXR Recurve 52#, Longbow 54#

Offline PistolPete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2015, 03:43:00 PM »
It's well made, but FAR too expensive, backpacking-type gear that's too heavy for backpacking and not warm enough for stand hunting. If you're deer hunting, there are much cheaper options, especially if you don't care about camo. I can get Sitka at wholesale through my job and still haven't bought any of it.

Also, if you need to be warm in a stand, you need down or Primaloft insulation, bottom line, period. Think about sleeping bags--they're designed to keep a sedentary human warm in ridiculous temperatures--do you ever see cold weather sleeping bags made from wool or fleece? Ever wonder why ALL the best cold-weather bags are down or Primaloft? I have a down puffy and Primaloft pants I pack into my stand and put on with the puffy going underneath my lightweight jacket that is one size too big for me. It works so well that my hands and feet no longer get cold, I can wear uninsulated boots, and sit as long as I want.

Back to the hollywood brands you asked about, though. They sure do look "cool"! But personally when I see folks decked out in matching KUIU/Sitka/First Lite gear, I think they must have more money than sense.

Just my thoughts!

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2015, 03:46:00 PM »
Kevin, don't worry about the athletic cut. These new clothes are made to stretch so they don't need to be baggy for freedom of movement like we have been so used to. To prove that point, I have put Both Denny Sturgis and Mike Mitten in size MEDIUM Sitka Gear Jackets in front of people and had them draw bows.Once you try this "technical" stuff, you will fight hard to stay in it. I'll never climb a mountain in wool pants again.

Offline eidsvolling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2015, 04:49:00 PM »
I'll talk only about Sitka Gear (and exclude their line intended for use in treestands and the like) because my experience is limited to that. By way of background, I've spent a lifetime outdoors in what other people call "bad" weather, and I sold outdoor gear and clothing for five years as well.

The Sitka clothing is patterned (no pun intended) on apparel that climbers and backpackers have been using for years when exerting themselves heavily.  It has the virtue of shedding heat and moisture very effectively. It is very durable. It is extremely non-restrictive when shooting a bow and moving across terrain.

Their Mountain Gore-Tex Glove is one of my all-time favorite pieces of clothing, bar none. I can even shoot my bow with it very effectively, although the leather finger covers are a little thin for extended practice sessions.

BUT:
The wrists on some items must have been fitted on fashion mannikins. I'm 6'0", 220 pounds, and I have to spend a few minutes getting my hands free of the softshell jacket and pullover I have. It is a major annoyance and very inconvenient in the field.

The velcro tabs to close off the wrists on the hardshell jacket are grossly inadequate for the task of sealing the gap between sleeve and glove in winter. If you aren't wearing gauntlet-style gloves or mitts, you will soon feel the cold air.

I received a complete outfit as a prize. I like the stuff and wear it regularly. But it is very expensive at regular prices.

I grew up in MN and have lived in AK as well. There's no way I'd go in the field in the winter months without wool for insulation, and the Sitka Gear needs to be sized with that in mind if you're looking at it. It is a fairly slim fit.

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2015, 04:59:00 PM »
I agree with Steve. I did buy the pants and jacket and shirt and would do it again.  I backpacked in heavy cotton on a couple of elk hunts before that  - I think my pant legs were wet every day and never really dried out. I didn't care for that very much either.  

Other people will have different views and experiences and that's fine.  At my age and condition I thought it was worth the price. For my elk hunting.  For anything else I wouldn't have bought it. That is just me.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2015, 05:03:00 PM »
Like you, I've been replacing some old hunting clothing and purchasing upgraded clothing. I chose First Lite. The merino wool is great and much better than polyester. They have Cocona technology, which you can read about. First Lite had a problem originally with their Kanab pants in that they were not cut more generously in the legs, thighs and rear end. They solved that problem. With the exception of First Lite's Sanctuary jacket, most of their clothing are meant for the "active hunter," not stationary hunters in very cold conditions. First Lite's clothing, some of the reviews say, will keep you comfortable, while stationary, in 20-30 degrees. That said, here was my approach. I purchased several of their garments for western hunting and warmer mid-west conditions. I plan to use the old stand by, cold weather heavy wool apparel for mid-west very cold conditions.

As far as durability goes, I cannot speak to that. In Illinois where I hunt, there are a lot of briar patches. I've refused to wear my First Lite Storm Tight jacket and pants, Uncompahgre Puffy jacket and North Branch soft shell clothing into the Illinois woods because I don't want to damage them given their cost. I do, however, wear the First Lite merino wool top layers and plan to wear my Kanab pants in the Illinois woods.

The wool layering tops and Kanab pants (rip stop woven marino wool are very durable I'm told). Although I haven't worn my Kanab pants into the Illinois woods, only worn my wool tops, I plan to this year. They dry quickly, pull moisture from your body and wear very well.

I don't know if this fully answers your questions, but I hope so.

Online Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2015, 08:23:00 PM »
Tough to beat a mid layer of wool.
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline Kevin Hansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2015, 08:23:00 PM »
GREAT, well thought out information.....thanks to all who have contributed! As I continue digesting what has been shared so far, I hope more will chime in.

Offline Kevin Hansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2015, 08:31:00 PM »
Steve O, PM sent.

Offline HARL

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2015, 08:45:00 PM »
Use the First Lite for my base layer and Sitka for the rest.No problem sitting in the trees in our Canadian winters.Not as bulky as the KOM I use to own.
62"63@28 Zipper Nitro
62"60@28 Zipper Nitro
A Doz. Hill Longbows

Offline TealCoin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2015, 09:08:00 PM »
All those fancy clothes don't bring me deer. I suppose if you've got nothing better to spend your money on; go for it. I'll stick with grandpas old tried and true hunting clothes.

Offline Charlie3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2015, 09:58:00 PM »
Don't overlook Under Armor for your cold gear. It's less pricy than some but works well. I use the 3.0 base layer plus one pair of pants and two layers up top, and stay comfy in a stand into the twenties and moving about cooler than that. 3.0 base is roughly $150 and allows you tons of options to wear over it.

Offline Kevin Hansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2015, 07:01:00 AM »
Charlie, good suggestion on the Under Armour. Are their pants fairly loose?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©