3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Technical Clothing/Sitka, Kuiu, etc  (Read 749 times)

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Technical Clothing/Sitka, Kuiu, etc
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2015, 07:28:00 AM »
I have owned and used (hard) both Sitka and KUIU. Both are extremely fine product lines, but admittedly very costly when compared to 'normal' deer-hunting clothing and garments. For those who want great clothes to mainly deer-hunt in, there are many alternatives. Just this year I bought some new stuff from the Predator line, and I KNOW it will be great for my Ohio whitetails. I use my high-tech gear some for deer, but I'm one who thinks there are plenty of items out there that work just as well (or even better) for far less investment.

'Athletic Fit'...I was weird on this too, until I got used to it. However, if you are not in reasonably decent shape the fit may simply be too far off in one dimension. The close fit suits me better for active hunting with a backpack. The polyester/DWR outer finish repels dirt and grime on long backcountry hunts. The stretch/flex factor is important in this type of clothing. As SteveO pointed out, you can still shoot a bow with snug clothing as long as it can stretch. It just feels strange if you've been wearing comfortably loose stuff. btw...I prefer a more comfortable fit when sitting for deer. I think less restriction and more air-trapping keeps me warmer and flexible on cold mornings.

Offline JohnV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2015, 03:37:00 PM »
It is my observation that most who slam Sitka Gear have never worn the stuff and really don't know what they are talking about.  Good gear cost money and is cheaper in the long run than buying cheap crap and replacing it each year.  If you like shivering in wet blue jeans and a cotton camo hoodie then go for it!
Proud Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2015, 08:29:00 PM »
I still love my KOM wool and wear it often, but when the wind kicks up and it gets really cold I'll be wearing my Sitka gear.  

The fanatic series is perfect for long treestand sits and is very comfortable.  

It's too early to tell how well Sitka gear will hold up over time but it seems very durable.  I have some wool garments that I bought 20 years ago that are still going strong.  At the time I bought them I felt they were overpriced but averaged out over the years they've been a bargain.

No experience with the other brands but Sitka gear is true to size.  If you wear XL normally, order XL.  It's always great to try it on first if you can.
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline bushwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2015, 12:00:00 AM »
I live in the Deep South but spend most of November between Kansas and Missouri in a stand. My tolerance for cold is terrible and until a few years ago I stayed miserable. I have used sitka gear on my early season western hunts since its inception and it just keeps getting better. When Sitka came out with its whitetail line I found what I needed.

Under Armor base layer (best regardless of price), the sitka down bottoms and top (I use their light down vest in afternoons), and any of their outer layers with windstopper and you're cooking!

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2015, 08:10:00 AM »
I am sort of a gear-a-holic, so I have tried a lot of the stuff out there, always with an eye out for good sales, kept some of it, passed some of it along. The new stuff is all pretty amazing, and beautifully made.
 Sitka, Kuiu and First Lite all are high end in quality. I have a few lesser items from Kuiu so I am less informed about their clothing, but over the years I have had a number of Sitka items, most recently their Stratus (windproof)line, and several First lite items including a Chama Hoody, and an Uncompaghre (SP?) jacket, both of which are totally well thought out and useful over a wide range of temps.
In my experience, the fit is narrow on all, so just go up a size and you will be comfortable, with room to layer. When warmth is needed, by which I mean sitting for a few hours in single or low double digit temps, I am back in my wool stuff, either KOM or the now-defunct Sleeping Indian. Both are exceptional in their ability to keep you comfortable in cold weather.
You have to consider the camo patterns, too, and Kuiu has some good ones. The new Sitka elevated pattern is also excellent. My 2 cents. PS they are just as comfortable as cotton blends in the right temps.

Offline Kevin Hansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2015, 09:15:00 AM »
The continued flow of information is appreciated. It has convinced me this type of clothing is definitely worth checking out. Now my biggest obstacle is wading through the bewildering array of options!
Keep the opinions coming...

Online Bigriver

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2015, 10:56:00 AM »
Look at Gray wolf, they are a sponsor. The clothes can be custom fit and will last a lifetime. The wolfskin material for early season in Predator pattern, you can get them lined with windstop lining or insulated for later in the season.

They also have wool asat for real cold weather. The clothes are hand made & worth the time & effort. I own Kuiu and sitka stuff for elk hunting, but for deer hunting I much prefer the Gray wolf camo. I own a ton of the stuff, I`m still using the original pullover I bought in 98 and it is perfect.

The  owners are great to deal with, and make the clothes themselves.
Made in the USA, by traditional archers and by hand. That says something.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Shotkizer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2015, 11:11:00 AM »
My experience also has been limited to Sitka gear.  IF YOU WANT CAMO, it's worth the money IMO.  For base layers and mid layers, not so much.  Price to price, Sitka falls way short in comparison to top performance clothing makers like Arc'teryx, Marmot, Mountain Hardware, etc.

Offline widow sax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2015, 01:10:00 PM »
My opinion is I have and use these kinds of cloths when I am out west packing in or hunting but here in my own state of Pa I do not wear any of the outer layer of clothing. I save it for out there. Here at home I may use the base and middle layer but I have other very good outer layers that work very good. I would suggest that if you want it get it it is very good stuff but for hunting around your house you do not need it and can get very effective clothing for a lot less money. When it really matters is when you can not go home when your wet and cold and your life may depend on what you are wearing then I would highly recommend the High end clothing it is worth every penny then.     Widow

Offline Charlie3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2015, 06:08:00 PM »
Kevin, I use their base layer which is skin tight long underwear. They do sell pants of various fits, but I have not tried them out.

Offline Kevin Hansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2015, 08:43:00 PM »
Thanks, Charlie.

Online Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2015, 10:46:00 PM »
Good info here.
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline Steve Kendrot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2015, 02:52:00 AM »
I'm sold on Merino wool. It's hands down the warmest and, importantly for us hunters, "scent free" clothing I've found. Not that it will prevent you from getting scented by game, but you can get dressed without gagging on your own stink as you will with synthetic materials worn for more than a day or two. For under garments where camo isn't so important, you can generally find reasonable deals on base and mid layers of you keep an eye on Sierra Trading Post or LL Bean outlets. Smartwool makes some nice sweaters in muted colors. I'm a big First Lite fan. Their Kanab pants are my favorite pants until the temps drop, then I switch to my Day One woolies. Word of warning on the Kanabs. They are light weight. Don't order them expecting "woolies." They are lightweight, lighter than a pair of thin jeans. But they are comfortable and well designed. Durability isn't the greatest. I've poked holes in them with sticks and won't advise them if you hunt a lot of brush and briars. I noticed yesterday than the crotch is getting see through at the wear/flex points and doubt they'll last a third season. A short lived garment for the price, but I'm buying another pair because I like them so much.  If you haven't checked out Day One, do so. They make custom camo in a wide variety of fabrics. Well made and durable stuff. Their wool is a dense weave and blocks wind on its own. Add a wind block layer and its impervious. It's not back packing gear though. Heavy and bulky. Their fleece vest is my favorite hunting garment as long as its cold enough to wear. Well designed pockets.
I've discovered that Merino is as effective at keeping you cool in hot weather as it is warm in cold weather. My First Lite Llano is a well worn peice of clothing. Wear it alone when it's 70.
Above 60- llano and Kanabs alone.
40-60- merino T shirt, 200 gram merino long johns top and bottom, llano, Day One fleece or First Lite Springer vest and kanabs.
30-40- same as above but add another layer of 400 gram merino up top. If it's windy I'll wear my Day One wool pullover.
Below 30- merino t shirt, two layers of 200 gram merino, Day one pullover and day one fleece vest up top. 400 gram wool power long johns and day one woolies on bottom.

Merino is stretchy and relatively thin so I don't find layering to feel confining. This keeps me warm for stand hunting as cold as it gets here in MD. Teens and occasionally single digits in the late season in MD. I did buy a pair of soft shell high tech pants from FL. I haven't worn them yet. They are noisy compared to my wool. I know I'll get made in close quarters shot situations so they've yet to see the woods.

I used to be a cheapskate. But as my income has increased, I've found that investing in quality gear pays off in the long run. I will never buy cotton camo again, other than to stuff a target bag.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©