3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Gold Tip 1535?  (Read 496 times)

Offline Austin Brown

• Trad Bowhunter
Gold Tip 1535?
« on: March 12, 2015, 03:34:00 PM »
I just picked up some 1535 blems from BigJim and when I opened them up noticed they looked longer than expected.  They measured 32" end to end not including nock.  Everywhere I have looked at 1535s lists them at 30" full length.  My question is do they sometimes erroneously stamp higher spines and sell them as blems?  I don't have access to a spine tester to see if they are in the ball park.
Joshua 24:15
As for me and my house,we will serve the Lord.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Gold Tip 1535?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 03:47:00 PM »
I just measured one I bought recently, and it is 30".
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2015, 03:47:00 PM »
I bought some GT 15/35 blems from Big Jim a year ago and they were 32" also.They shot great out of a couple of lighter weight bows I have.Weigh them on a grain scale,you can usally figure out if they are missmared.Compare them to the weights on the GT website.Mine were 32" long.

Offline TealCoin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2015, 03:49:00 PM »
I should be getting mine in this afternoon - I'll check when they arrive and let you know what my 1535 blems measure.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2015, 03:53:00 PM »
BTW, I wouldn't be surprised if you measured them on a spine tester and they came out closer to 500 than 600.  For some reason, carbon arrows measure stiffer than they actually are on a spine tester designed for wood arrows.  I don't know why; maybe it has something to do with dynamic spine vs. static spine.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2015, 04:06:00 PM »
I believe spine testers for wood measure 26" so that would account for carbon/aluminum showing more since they should be spined on a 28" tester.

(At least, that's my understanding and would not bet my house on it.)
Lon Scott

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2015, 06:04:00 PM »
McDave.  As you know, woodies are spined with a 2# weight suspended from the center of the shaft suspended from posts 26 inches apart.  Easton developed the measurement for carbon arrows.  It uses a 1.94# weight on shafts suspended on posts 28 inches apart.  The posts 26 inches apart yield a higher spine rating/lower deflection.

Found a conversion chart at  www.RangersArchery.com  recently.  Here's one example of the difference. A 50# spine is reflected by a .52 deflection with a 2# weight suspended from posts 26 inches apart, and .63 with the 1.94# weight suspended from posts 28 inches apart.

Or, looking it it from the deflection perspective, a .63 deflection using the 28-inch measurement yields a 50# spine.  A .63 deflection using 2# suspended from posts 26 inches apart yields a spine of 41#.

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2015, 08:47:00 PM »
You should ask Big Jim but I think the arrow are made at 32 and then are cut to 30".  If the arrow is designated a blem  it is not cut.
T ZZZZ

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2015, 08:53:00 PM »
Assuming this is true, would this be a good reason to cut some from each end rather than just cutting to length from one end?
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Longbow58

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2015, 06:19:00 AM »
McDave I've always cut equal amounts off of both ends. Just the way I was taught.

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2015, 07:08:00 AM »
what you purchased was the "dark woods". Those shafts were originally contracted out by Bear Paw out of Germany and they called them the timber sticks.
Identical in every way except the pattern is darker with more visual grain to it. Bear Paw ordered their stuff in 32"s.

THESE ARE THE SAME 1535'S IN EVERY WAY!, except looks and length.

I had a long talk with them yesterday and again suggested that they offer the 1535's in 32". Eventually the will. that is how we got the 3555's in 32" ...pesistance.

thanks, bigjim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2015, 07:34:00 AM »
The good news is,  if you order from Jim, they can cut them to any length you need    ;)      :thumbsup:    

The best thing to do when you order is to not assume the arrow is 30 inches and ask.

Jim, Thanks For nagging GT, I find having longer shafts is handy but somehow it doesn't impress the chicks.    :dunno:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline yaderehey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2015, 08:46:00 AM »
DANG....the only reason I haven't ordered 1535's before is because they AREN'T 32".  Big Jim, I just looked on your website for "dark woods" and didn't see any.  Are they all gone?  Thanks!

Offline Austin Brown

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2015, 08:46:00 AM »
Thanks for the info Jim, haven't messed with carbon much and didn't know.
Joshua 24:15
As for me and my house,we will serve the Lord.

Offline Wheels2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2015, 08:51:00 AM »
Although true for all brands of carbon, GoldTip actually recommends cutting arrows from each end.  Imperfections found in straightness are more pronounced at the ends of the shafts.  In this manner a guy trimming a 32" shaft down to 28" may actually end up with the next higher level of straightness from the cheaper arrow.
Super Curves.....
Covert Hunter Hex9h
Morrison Max 6 ILF
Mountain Muffler strings to keep them quiet
Shoot as much weight as you can with accuracy

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2015, 09:18:00 AM »
Originally posted by BigJim:
what you purchased was the "dark woods". Those shafts were originally contracted out by Bear Paw out of Germany and they called them the timber sticks.
Identical in every way except the pattern is darker with more visual grain to it. Bear Paw ordered their stuff in 32"s.

THESE ARE THE SAME 1535'S IN EVERY WAY!, except looks and length.

I had a long talk with them yesterday and again suggested that they offer the 1535's in 32". Eventually the will. that is how we got the 3555's in 32" ...pesistance.

thanks, bigjim
talk to them about the 35/55's too!
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2015, 10:57:00 PM »
Daniel, the 3555's are already in 32" for the regular wood grain and dark wood grain....this year however, they will all be labeled by spine, ie. 600,500,400,340.

Unless Gold Tip has a few of the timbersticks left in either blem or non blem, there will be no more as Bear Paw has chosen to move their business to China to save money.

I am looking in to getting my own custom pattern but they require a large commitment...never been a problem, but so many people wait for the blems that it might be difficult to sell the necessary non blems to meet the commitment.

I won't give up the fight.
thanks, bigjim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2015, 08:04:00 PM »
And no, Large does not have any more dark woods in 1535. I bought the last two dozen he had this past Saturday.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline alex321

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2015, 04:35:00 PM »
Originally posted by BigJim:

Unless Gold Tip has a few of the timbersticks left in either blem or non blem, there will be no more as Bear Paw has chosen to move their business to China to save money.

thanks, bigjim
I just went and checked Bearpaw's website and you are correct.   :o  

Its very disappointing, they have kept the timberstick name, but forgot to mention its no longer made by GT.  The replacement does not have anyway near the same gpi, which to me is one of the reasons to buying them.  I wanted something similar to wood in weight.

They still have GT Trads on their website, but I guess that will not be forever.  Laughably theGT tras are cheaper than the new, supposedly Chinese, made arrows...   :(  

Hope they don't live to regret that.
Alex

Offline alex321

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2015, 04:39:00 PM »
Big Jim,

I have a Hill style bow cut to 1/8".  Its 52lb at 27" and I draw 25.5".  I wish to use 125 grn tips and wonder if I will be able to cut the arrow short enough. What do you think?

Cheers
Alex

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©