3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: South Carolina hog hunting  (Read 480 times)

Offline spider64

• Trad Bowhunter
South Carolina hog hunting
« on: March 12, 2015, 04:21:00 PM »
I would like to find a place I could do some hog hunting in South Carolina . If someone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it ! I bought a non resident hunting license and a WMA permit ! Thanks ahead of time !
Darren Webb   If it bleeds we can kill it !

Offline tradarcher816

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: South Carolina hog hunting
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 08:13:00 PM »
I've not had the chance to travel there yet myself but I hear the low state wma's are full of hogs.  Were getting them in the upstate, though I haven't seen them yet the local dnr says that if you can find creeks and streams you can find them. I'd be interested in knowing a good place to go camp and hunt some hogs in the off season too.  Wish you the best of luck.
Love God, Love your neighbor.

Offline spider64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2015, 09:36:00 PM »
Camping and hunting hogs sounds like a lot of fun to me !
Darren Webb   If it bleeds we can kill it !

Offline Looper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2015, 10:39:00 PM »
Where do you want to go? And when?

If you want to hunt hogs on WMAs, you'll only be able to hunt them from April1-May1 (turkey season), Sept 15- Jan 1 (deer season), and some special hog still hunting on select WMAs in March. This year it was March 2-7.

You can hunt them from Jan 1- March 1 (small game season), but you can't use broad heads, which pretty much means you can't hunt them with a bow.

As to locations, there are several good areas. Woodbury, Wee Tee, and Manchester probably will give you the highest chance of success, but there are plenty of hogs in the Francis Marion and in Sumter National Forest in Abbeville County.  All of these WMAs have places to camp. Most of the time, I just sleep in the back of my truck.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2015, 10:45:00 PM »
Wild Things has an opening in April. ...i might be going....hope I can.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2015, 10:49:00 PM »
Lots of good hogs along Black River in Williamsburg and Horry Counties....also along Savannah and Edisto Rivers...especially Colleton County where I had a lease before getting family owned land in same area.

Francis Marion Forest has a good number of hogs...especially up in Hell Hole Swamp.

If want a hunt with a challenge...and if a member of PBS...can join one of the member hunts.  We do one in Georgia every year...on WMA during Small Game season.  You get there...bring tent and camping gear...some food...hunting gear...and hunt 4-5 days for big remote wild hogs.

There was a group that did a Howard Hill Hog Hunt in Georgia from TradGang a couple years...dont remember seeing it this year.

We dont have any hogs on our property...thank goodness...but I do love to shoot them.  :)   There is a guy named Cecil that does Mossy Oak Properties in Colleton County...that has a bunch of land he manages with lots of hogs.

Finally there is always the place that Terry Green goes to in western part of state...

http://www.huntwildthings.com/
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline tradarcher816

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2015, 06:53:00 AM »
Originally posted by looper:
Where do you want to go? And when?

If you want to hunt hogs on WMAs, you'll only be able to hunt them from April1-May1 (turkey season), Sept 15- Jan 1 (deer season), and some special hog still hunting on select WMAs in March. This year it was March 2-7.

You can hunt them from Jan 1- March 1 (small game season), but you can't use broad heads, which pretty much means you can't hunt them with a bow.
Per DNR in Spartanburg your good with a bow and arrow for hogs (w/broadheads)on WMA all year.  I don't know if it's one of those  better ask where your at things but that was the word up here last I asked.

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2015, 08:11:00 AM »
[/qb][/QUOTE]Per DNR in Spartanburg your good with a bow and arrow for hogs (w/broadheads)on WMA all year.  I don't know if it's one of those  better ask where your at things but that was the word up here last I asked. [/qb][/QUOTE]

not true
"It's not the trophy, but the race. It's not the quarry,
but the chase."

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2015, 08:12:00 AM »
:knothead:   double post
but the chase."

Online bluemelonchitlin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2015, 01:13:00 PM »
I talked to the bear biologist for SC several years ago and questioned why can you hunt hogs legally year-round but you can't use broadheads unless it's turkey or deer season. He told me this law made no sense to him either.
As far as places to hunt, Hogback Mountain is a good place for hogs. Found this tidbit out from a DNR officer while out fishing one summer. Sure enough there are hogs up there. Ground was rooted up and parts of that mountain looked like it was being graded for a mall.
Revelation 3:20

Offline NOMAD88

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2015, 02:16:00 PM »
Check out Woodbury, Marsh, Little peedee, and Waccamaw WMA's... All have hogs and are best accessed by boat. Largest population of hogs is along The Great Pee Dee in Horry County. There is a good population in the Santee river area in Georgetown county too.

Offline tradarcher816

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2015, 03:27:00 PM »
...yup... I was wrong in my post. my apologies.

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2015, 03:48:00 PM »
Originally posted by tradarcher816:
...yup... I was wrong in my post. my apologies.
No worries.  I wouldn't want you to get a ticket for hunting out of season.
but the chase."

Offline Looper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2015, 04:37:00 PM »
Originally posted by bluemelonchitlin:
I talked to the bear biologist for SC several years ago and questioned why can you hunt hogs legally year-round but you can't use broadheads unless it's turkey or deer season. He told me this law made no sense to him either.
As far as places to hunt, Hogback Mountain is a good place for hogs. Found this tidbit out from a DNR officer while out fishing one summer. Sure enough there are hogs up there. Ground was rooted up and parts of that mountain looked like it was being graded for a mall.
I'm guessing you're talking about the Chestnut Ridge WMA. I used to hunt all over Hogback. In fact, I shot my first hog over on Hooker Ridge way back in 1985. One thing is certain, though, hunting those mountain hogs is a lot more difficult that the ones along the river drainages.

Here's a pic of some over near Jocassee. Check out the size of the one in the background.

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2015, 05:11:00 PM »
I do not believe I have ever seen a South Carolina killed hog posted on TG outside of the few at Wild Things.  SC guys post them if you have killed them.
lll

Offline Looper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2015, 05:34:00 PM »
The latest one I have also has a rifle killed one in the pic, so I won't post it. I'll PM it to you.

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2015, 05:51:00 PM »
but the chase."

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2015, 05:05:00 PM »
I know we got some more sausage makers in South Cackalack..... There the heck is that Benjy guy?
but the chase."

Offline subsonic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2015, 06:13:00 PM »
I have hunted at Wild Things in Estill and always had a good time.
Casse Couilles!

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2015, 10:28:00 AM »
You'd be hard pressed to find a better operation than Wild Things.
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©