3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Best state for folks like us  (Read 850 times)

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Best state for folks like us
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2015, 11:39:00 PM »
Nevada is plenty open, with mulies, elk, bear, goat, 3 different sheep, antelope and lion.  All but lion draw. Short seasons.  Deer is august when it is very hot.  That said, very big mulies and bulls.  The trips to WI or MO help heal the wounds of remorse of leaving the east
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2015, 12:25:00 PM »
California has a lot of bowhunting year around deer season some zones start in July and some run until end of Dec we have Bighorn sheep,antelope,Elk all draw and black bear,hogs.The only thing wrong with California to much BS laws and liberals. I am moving as soon as the boss give me the ok.
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Offline myshootinstinks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2015, 08:35:00 PM »
I've lived in Wyoming for the past 20 years and was in Colorado for 20+ before that. Both have an abundant variety of game but the seasons are very short and they all come at about the same time. Here we basically get the month of Sept. for deer/elk and antelope starts a couple of weeks earlier. Some states in the midwest & east have deer seasons that are 5 months long...that would be nice.
   On the other hand, there are no crowds in Wyoming, we seldom see another bowhunter during bow season and I have never seen a trad bowhunter.

Offline NCArrowflinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2015, 09:41:00 PM »
TEXAS! It's the Africa of the North American continent. Whitetail, mule deer, turkey,  hogs, javelina, predators (big and small), saltwater and fresh water fishing second to none. Would move back in a heartbeat if I could get the wife to agree to it!

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2015, 12:05:00 AM »
gotta agree with timbermoose.
everything in BC, and out here on the islands, we have a 9 month deer season.
only one month a year we cant hunt anything!!

Offline Arctic Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2015, 03:53:00 AM »
This is bringing some interesting feedback.  I'm a little surprised, as I expected more votes for the West (Colorado, Wyoming, Montana).  I must say that the tag issue and short seasons are not appealing.  I honestly don't know what I would do here if they went to a draw for deer and I didn't get drawn....I would without a doubt move.....
Black Widow PSAX 56#@30.5"

Offline bear mike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2015, 08:04:00 AM »
I live in Michigan and love it if I moved anywhere it would be further north to Da UP AH

Offline rtherber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2015, 08:12:00 AM »
Tennessee for home state, then spend summers in the western states up through close of archery seasons there....Arizona during the late winter months..works for me..3 does a day limit here in TN, 3 buck limit...season opens end of September, closes January...cheap housing, taxes.conservative minded folks...

Offline rockkiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2015, 08:42:00 AM »
I left northern wi about 38 years ago,spent about 13 years in central mn and transfered to Wy 25 years ago and I do miss the long seasons the Midwest offer.Here in Wy we have alot of things to hunt and a short time to do it,with the exception of spring bear and spring turkey.
Like myshootinstinks said no crowds and I also never see another traditional hunter,but I still go back to Wisconsin every year for 3-4 weeks to chase whitetails.

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2015, 08:50:00 AM »
Originally posted by Arctic Hunter:
the tag issue and short seasons are not appealing.
That is it for me.
SWA Spyder

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2015, 10:31:00 AM »
I have very good hunting and extremely generous seasons here in WI.  I try to get in at least one western hunt each fall.  The past couple of years we have been going to AZ for a couple of months in the winter so I have the best of both worlds.  Not really looking to move.

But if I did I would seriously consider Nebraska.  A friend of mine that was previously from WI moved there a few years ago and loves it.  Great hunting, long seasons, add in mule deer and antelope and it sounds like a great place to live for a hunter.  Plus it is 10 hours closer to the mountains to make those September trips much easier.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2015, 02:48:00 PM »
After living on the Atlantic coast, Gulf coast and the Cheasapeake I want to move near "big water" for the off seasons. I also really enjoy long cold winters(even this one) and big woods, so I will probably move to just off a northern great lake or Maine coast. Michigan and NY are out because of their BS handgun laws....... You have to look at the big picture and more than just the hunting...... currently in Ohio for family obligations and the deer hunting here is pretty good.....
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline Arctic Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2015, 10:38:00 PM »
Thanks for all the replys and input.
Black Widow PSAX 56#@30.5"

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2015, 07:49:00 AM »
Whip is in Heaven.

I would think Wisconsin March-->December then Texas or AZ January through March.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline JLeMieux

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2015, 09:14:00 AM »
If it were up to me, I would do June-end of Sept in Colorado or Wyoming. Then, October and November in the Midwest. December-May would be back in Louisiana. If I had to pick just one state, I would probably stay in LA, but Mississippi, Arkansas, and Missouri probably wouldn't be too bad.
Acadian Woods TD Recurve 58 @ 28
Acadian Woods Recurve 55 @ 28
Acadian Woods Tree Stick 60 @ 27
Acadian Woods Tree Stick 47 @ 28
Martin Hunter Recurve 50 @ 28

Offline northener

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2015, 09:14:00 AM »
Originally posted by NCArrowflinger:
fresh water fishing second to none.  [/QUOTE

Minnesota might disagree with that. hah

I'd stay in the midwest as well, although we have no pigs, which would make great table fare, bear,deer, turkey are plentiful.

If you like solitude Northern Mn. has it, plenty of public land to hunt without the crowds. Of course you need to like colder weather and what it brings, snow.
Intellectuals solve problem, geniuses prevent them

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2015, 10:31:00 AM »
I was just looking at jobs in N MN yesterday LOL!   The fishing isn't so bad either!

I can tell you this, stay out of Alaska unless you're independently wealthy!   Or are just a lucky SOB with access to someone with a good boat or plane.   Without one, the hunts are not cheap, though we can hunt literally 12 months of the year, access and in winter temperature becomes a major issue.

Consider this, a Alaska Resident hunt in Kodiak or southeast deer or bear hunt costs me more than a flight home and whitetail liscense to hunt MN as a non res!

The road systems been pounded beyond oblivion!  The caribou hunting is ok if you don't mind people.   Thankfully I have some sheep holes I generally spend my falls in.  

couple more weeks and I'll be paying handsomely to scratch a 25 year long itch, thunderchicken'itus!

Offline northener

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2015, 11:44:00 AM »
yes  fishing in northern mn. can be world class.

If your an avid fisherman, fishing can be world class, with many secluded back road lakes the northern 1/3 of the state that get only local pressure from those in the know. athen there's Lake of the woods, it simply is the finest walleye, northern and pan fish this side of Canada. BWCA is another story, fantastic fishing but a little harder to access but a great wilderness area, epic scenery.

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2015, 11:46:00 AM »
My brother is a CO in the BWCA...we grew up on upper red in the summers.   I've eaten a pile of northern Mn eyes and slab crappies, back when red was in its haydays!  Its been a long long time.   I've only been back to NMN once in the last 20 years since I left for AK.

Offline northener

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2015, 11:56:00 AM »
Upper Red is close to back to its former glory right now except for crappies, Walleye and huge Northerns have taken over.

Ice fishing destination for many these days.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©