3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The differences between traditional and compound.....  (Read 820 times)

Offline bear bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
The differences between traditional and compound.....
« on: March 13, 2015, 12:53:00 PM »
I'm starting to notice something. When I was looking to buy my newest bow, I talked with the owners of the companies I was interested in. They acted like they had all the time in the world to just talk to me. I just got off the phone with a broadhead manufacturer, same thing. The owner called me because I had sent in a question on his website and again, he acted like he had all the time in the world for me. I've never experienced anything like this while I was shooting compounds. As a matter of fact, it was quite the opposite. This site is really not any different. All of my questions have been met with positive and helpful answers and to all of you and the traditional market in general, Thank you

Offline TealCoin

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The differences between traditional and compound.....
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2015, 01:04:00 PM »
I've noticed the same thing.  The traditional world is one of a kind.  People are nice and more than helpful.  There is no hiding of tips/tricks of the trade.  Eveyone seems to pay it forward and realize that at one point in time - they were a "beginner" or less experienced as well.  

It's no longer about speed or price of equipment or top scores at 3D shoots; rather it's all about having fun and enjoying archery as it was intended to be!  

I'm 100% sold on traditional only.

Offline shreffler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2015, 01:13:00 PM »
I think one of the biggest reasons for this that most people seem to forget is because we're actually dealing with PEOPLE who practice a trade, not corporations.

With wheelie gear you go down to the local store and grab a pack of rage broadheads, an X brand compound and a 6-pack of arrows that are already fletched with vanes and you're out the door.

With traditional gear, almost everything from the string to the bow to your tab is handmade by someone, giving you a whole new personal level with the people behind the craft. Truly makes for a special experience and I we're all the lucky ones.

Sometimes we forget how good we've got it.
"If you're not bowhunting, your spirit is on standby." - Uncle Ted

Offline SCS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2015, 01:52:00 PM »
Something I've noticed with bowyers here and on other sites is they aren't afraid to recommend a bow other than their own, particularly for someone just starting out. Also, most seem very complimentary toward others work.

Steve

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2015, 01:53:00 PM »
I've noticed a difference at shoots.  The compounders are all range finders and binoculars, seriously calculating distances and shots.  We're all jiving and joking and generally laughing at each other.  Sometimes a guy will have to let down his shot because he starts laughing in the middle of it at something somebody else said.  And that's when we're trying to behave ourselves in front of all the compounders.  Don't even start on what happens when we're at a trad only meet.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2015, 02:20:00 PM »
"it's what's between the ears" in IMHO

I mean that from the way people are treated to whether you can or think you can shoot traditional.

And the word FUN comes into mind when you compare traditional to alternative type archery.

Offline archer66

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2015, 02:32:00 PM »
Originally posted by shreffler:
I think one of the biggest reasons for this that most people seem to forget is because we're actually dealing with PEOPLE who practice a trade, not corporations.

With wheelie gear you go down to the local store and grab a pack of rage broadheads, an X brand compound and a 6-pack of arrows that are already fletched with vanes and you're out the door.

With traditional gear, almost everything from the string to the bow to your tab is handmade by someone, giving you a whole new personal level with the people behind the craft. Truly makes for a special experience and I we're all the lucky ones.

Sometimes we forget how good we've got it.
YUP!!!  You nailed it.  Compound bows are mass produced in a factory using automated equipment resulting in nothing more than a tool.  Custom bowyers, however, are not only producing a tool but also a work of art.  The difference is a product of the number of units sold.......wheelie bow sales are measured in the tens of thousands and more while custom trad bow sales are measured in hundreds or less.
1966 Bear Kodiak Magnum
52"
40# @ 25"

Black Widow SIW
56"
51# @ 25.5"

Offline BowDiddle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2015, 02:41:00 PM »
They don't really have the time in most cases, but they'll take the time when called upon, because they want you to be aware of & understand whatever it is.

In other words, they understand it is to both yours and their mutual benefit.

Kirk Lavender of Bigfoot bows is a prime example. He is a busy man, and even though I have yet to lay down my hard earned cash with him he still takes the time to help me out over the phone. I honestly would have thought he would have my number blocked by now.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2015, 02:50:00 PM »
They don't give the same attention because they deal with 1000x the number of customers trad guys do. If you could find a guy who built 50-100 a year, he'd remember your name to.

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2015, 10:49:00 PM »
I agree with all. We are a small niche in a realative small sport here in USA. We are all pretty much like minded, we want to be treated like we would treat someone else, with respect. The bowyers and suppliers that do not treat people well are usually gone in a short time or end up with a small group of followers who are just as obnoxious as they are. Been there seen that. I move on. I just wish I had the funds so I could call and talk the ears off some of the great bowyers we have here.
I am like McDave, I go to shoots to have a good time. i realized many years ago if I won an award it was because I was the only guy in that class!!  Archery is my way to relax. I am sure for most of you it is also.

Offline Krex1010

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2015, 07:29:00 AM »
This is the difference between larger, mass produced production businesses and small handmade products. Most compounds are made by larger, multilayered businesses. So the people you deal with at a shop is many layers removed from the engineers who design the products. Those engineers have passion and knowledge and I garuntee they would talk about it, but the consumer never sees them.  In the trad world I've noticed there are very few shops, and most of the companies making products are very small scale, in some cases 1 man shows. So you are either with someone who makes the products or is close to the operation. There's a lot less layers in that onion so you get to the heart really quickly.
"You can't cheat the mountain pilgrim"

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2015, 08:19:00 AM »
Yep to everything that has been posted. We are a small percentage of the archery market. However I think we have the most fun as well!
SWA Spyder

Online Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2015, 08:21:00 AM »
Good call on the # of customers served by each. That being said I had great dealings with a new small compound company out of South Dakota.

They were the exception though.

Every trad bowyer broadhead producer retailer etc has been great to deal with.

There's only so many ways to customize a compound, when I ordered my Tall Tines I seriously had lists of all the woods that I wanted to look @ before making a decision (sorry Brian but thanks for being so accommodating!)
Associate PBS member NRA member DU and Pheasants Forever

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2015, 10:25:00 AM »
you got it right.
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline Whitetail Addict

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2015, 10:57:00 AM »
I've noticed it over the years myself. There seems to be bond between traditional archers, that you don't see as much with other styles of archery, or hunting in general. I've wondered if we as traditional archers, knowing the effort that's needed to become proficient with traditional equipment, and the need to work towards becoming better hunters so we get the shots we want with traditional equipment plays a part in that bond. I have nothing against anybody that chooses to hunt with anything other than traditional archery equipment. It's a personal decision and I respect that, but yes, I've noticed the same thing. Thanks.

Bob

Offline Longbow58

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2015, 12:42:00 PM »
Just a world of difference this trad thing...never used to joke and laugh as much as I do now while shooting. Wheelies are way to serious! Lot of great folks out there in the trad community.

Offline archer66

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2015, 12:42:00 PM »
Originally posted by Whitetail Addict:
I've noticed it over the years myself. There seems to be bond between traditional archers, that you don't see as much with other styles of archery, or hunting in general. I've wondered if we as traditional archers, knowing the effort that's needed to become proficient with traditional equipment, and the need to work towards becoming better hunters so we get the shots we want with traditional equipment plays a part in that bond. I have nothing against anybody that chooses to hunt with anything other than traditional archery equipment. It's a personal decision and I respect that, but yes, I've noticed the same thing. Thanks.

Bob
It is funny that you say that about the bond between traditional bowhunters.  This thread comes at a time when my home state (Missouri) is possibly on the verge of including crossbows in it's regular archery season.  The comment you made about that bond between traditional bowhunters echoes what I'm seeing between modern bowhunters (compound guys), many of whom in Missouri are VERY upset about the possible inclusion of crossbows in archery season.  They are "banding" together as REAL bowhunters, they say, to stand up against crossbows.  "ELITISTS" is what the crossbow guys call the compound guys who don't want crossbows included.  The compound guys seem to have forgotten the stir that was created among bowhunters when compounds were first introduced.  

I guess what I'm getting at is that the compound guys are a pretty tight group too...they look down on the crossbow hunter....they look down on the rifle hunter and they call the trad hunters elitist....lol.
1966 Bear Kodiak Magnum
52"
40# @ 25"

Black Widow SIW
56"
51# @ 25.5"

Offline md126

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2015, 03:11:00 PM »
To compare a company like Hoyt, Matthews, Bowtech, etc to a small traditional bowyers operation is apples and oranges. Even a "big" trad operation like Black Widow is small by comparison. It's like comparing the corner hardware store to Home Depot. Ones not any better than the other, just different.

While the experience is not the same with a big compound company some still do have excellent customer service

That being said, I too prefer knowing I can call up my bowyer and speak directly to him at length about whatever we need to discuss. The trad community is smaller, and therefore by nature,  more intimate and familiar.

Offline halfseminole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2015, 07:48:00 PM »
The Asian trad community is even smaller, but you guys sure make us feel welcome.  It's nothing like the compound guys-many of whom are completely ignorant about simple truths about archery and hunting.  I'm very, very glad to be a trad archer-everyone remembers your name in this game.  Even if all they remember is that you shoot a funny bow.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2015, 01:32:00 PM »
I think you will find serious competitors and serious archery hunters regardless of the equipment we use.... i truly believe as archers we should be united as one group instead of criticizing ones choice of bow

I hunted with a compound bow for many years and did real well with it. I even got into a lot 3D competition in the unlimited class with all the fancy scopes and back tension releases and such. It was very intense, very competitive, and i enjoyed the challenges that came with it a lot.

But after spending years shooting & hunting with high tech equipment, i got the itch for another challenge. The bow building bug had my full attention long before i became competent enough to hunt with confidence using a traditional style bow.....

But the biggest difference i noticed was the fun factor..... The lower kinetic energy ratings of the stick bows allow guys to go use flu-flues and shoot birds and small game with a reasonable return on your arrow shafts.  Guys can go shoot stumps without trashing too many arrows too..... Hey!  that stuff is fun!   You can't take a high powered compound bow out and shoot stumps without loosing 90% of your arrows.

I think the nature of traditional  archers becoming a closer knit group is mostly because we are a smaller group dedicated to keeping this challenging sport alive. You can find extremist intense personalities in any sport, as well as people that just like to have fun... These Trad bows just allow us more versatility in what we use them for, and can be more fun to shoot.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©