3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: D style or R/D longbow ?  (Read 458 times)

Offline bucknut

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
D style or R/D longbow ?
« on: March 14, 2015, 10:32:00 AM »
I'm looking to convert to a longbow, however I don't have much experience with them.  Please give me the pro's and con's of each style to help with the decision. Leaning towards a montana whip right now.
Whom virtue unites death cannot separate.

Offline Doug_K

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: D style or R/D longbow ?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2015, 10:50:00 AM »
R/D is generally faster, and supposedly less hand shock.

D shape is more forgiving, and generally quieter.

Some shoots require a classic D shape bow, however some R/D bows are made so they are D shape when strung.

All that said, I have no hand shock in my D shape, and my R/D is very quiet. Both shoot where I point, one faster than the other.
60" W&W Black Wolf 55#
64" Bamabows Hunter 52#
60" Bamabows Expedition III 52#
70" Bamabows Hunter 55#
60" A.D.M Earth 63#

Offline tzolk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2015, 10:52:00 AM »
A Whip is a top shelf bow. I've had several but have had to ween down my arsenal for a couple different reasons. Montana Bows (Toelke) also make a "D" bow called the Super D. That's what I shoot daily. I love it. It has a slight pulse in the hand which is easily forgotten after the shot. It is perfectly balanced in the hand and very light.
If you want a Whip, what length and draw weight?
What specs are you leaning towards, what's your draw length and poundage sought?
Dan Toelke can get you spot on for your desired poundage. There are also two types of grips for the Whip.
64" Toelke SSLR
64” Toelke Whip SL
Great Northern Quivers only!

All the best!
Todd Z

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2015, 10:52:00 AM »
D/R longbows will tend to be somewhat smooth-drawing, dead in the hand stable and a bit quicker than "D style longbows. I own and have owned quite a few of Dan's Whips and i.m.o. a finer d/r longbow can't be found. The 64" Classic Whip HS I currently own is the single best shooting bow I have ever owned or shot. That said, I find myself shooting a Toelke Super D almost exclusively. There is something almost magical about them.

Offline tzolk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2015, 10:53:00 AM »
Backnut,
What are you converting from, compound or recurve? That makes a difference in what you may want to start off with draw weight.
64" Toelke SSLR
64” Toelke Whip SL
Great Northern Quivers only!

All the best!
Todd Z

Offline bucknut

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2015, 01:14:00 PM »
I shoot both, have a 57# zipper, a 61# assenheimer @ 27" recurves and a couple compounds. I shoot all of them pretty well too. I'm an equal opportunity owner. LOL! Thinking about converting back to totally trad and got the longbow bug. just seeing what the general opinions were on the 2 different types.

Offline saltwatertom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2015, 02:20:00 PM »
I would vote for a RD longbow. My wife just got a Buffalo from Big jims. When I picked up that bow is was like I had owned it forever. It feels so good to shoot and is the first bow I shot after not shooting for almost a year (rehab issues) . I can put arrows RIGHT where I want them with this bow, no stacking, or issues of any kind. Can't say enough good about it.

JMHO for what it is worth.
"There is always luck about, for those willing to look for it"

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2015, 02:30:00 PM »
For me the more R/D the better. I have shot 2 R/D Whips and I wish I had one. Good luck and let us know what you get.

Offline bucknut

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2015, 08:36:00 PM »
Going to the Ohio deer and turkey expo tomorrow, hope to get to shoot a few different bows. I would like to compare the two styles if possible. Not gonna see a whip there though. Thanks for all the good info so far.

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2015, 12:22:00 PM »
Comparing bows is good.  If you're coming from recurves/compounds it's hard to compare a 'D' bow (ASL...like a Hill) and traditional wood arrows, to a R/D hybrid 'longbow' with carbons...and get a fair assessment.  The latter will definately be closer to what you are used to than the former, but it's really about what are you looking for in a longbow.  

Lots of questions to ponder, let us know what you decide.

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2015, 12:31:00 PM »
I'm not a D shape shooter however, my friend bought one and I shot his, I was very impressed to say the least, I am very sensitive to hand shock but didn't feel any in his bow. I was also shooting a very fast R/D long bow, my point of aim was not much different between the two.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2015, 01:57:00 PM »
I you are thinking of going to a Hill style you may want to change some parts of your form. I would suggest watching the John Schulz you tube videos a couple of times before deciding. That form works just fine for bows like a Robertson, or a Tolke Super D as well.

Offline bucknut

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2015, 07:03:00 PM »
Just got back from the expo.  They didn't have many trad bows to look at, but I did shoot a couple striker r/d hybrid longbows that I liked alot.  Wish I had a better selection around to look at and shoot. Gonna talk to Rick Ellis the bowyer/owner of striker and maybe work out a deal on a T/D 60" custom coco/birds eye maple combo. Thanks again for the input!

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2015, 11:51:00 AM »
Mohawk. The best of both worlds. RC

Offline Sirius Black

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2015, 06:53:00 PM »
I own both. The R/D is faster than the other, but I don't have a problem going between them.
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member

Offline BRITTMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2015, 08:23:00 PM »
RC is right on with the mild r/d longbow , you still get the quietness , forgivness , and shape of the D bow but eith more speed and less handshock . 3 very good ones are 7 lakes , Mohawk and ,Wes Wallace .
" Live long and prosper "

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2015, 09:49:00 PM »
Here are some pictures of D style and R/D bows to look at.... The R/D bows you can get much longer draw lengths with shorter over all length. The D shape bows need more length for longer draws.

This first couple pictures isa Sasquatch 60" hybrid long bow. This is about as close to a recurve bow as you can get and still have deep core narrow limb characteristics you find in a long bow.

The next 2 pictures are the "Flatliner" model.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2015, 09:55:00 PM »
The Flatliner also comes in a TD model with the same limb design..... This model has a full overly riser option making it appear to be a one piece.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2015, 10:05:00 PM »
This D shaped design is called the "Stealth".
Very similar to the Flatliner one piece design, only has a shorter riser length And some speacial features built into it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©