3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Will this work?  (Read 256 times)

Offline aim small...release

• Trad Bowhunter
Will this work?
« on: March 14, 2015, 11:07:00 PM »
I have a?  About an arrow set up.  I was shooting gold tip trads. But. Picked up some gold tip hunters they are lighter arrows but at the same length with a 50gr insert they fly great they're just over 400gr I shoot 48lbs at 28 inches the arrows are great for 3d because they shoot flater.  Could I use these same arrows for hunting if I hunted with a heavier head instead if a 125 use like a to put me right around 425 gr arrow or won't that work. Just trying to avoid having multiple arrows just want to switch head weights. Thanks as always for everyone's knowledge. You all are great!!!
Take a deep breath and pick a spot

Offline Msbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Will this work?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 05:03:00 AM »
Yes they will work fine just as long as going with the heavier head doesn't change your spine and you might start getting erratic arrow flight. If they fly well with your normal heads I would just go with those and not worry about the extra 25 grs.
"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted"-Jose Ortega y Gasset

Offline Looper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2015, 05:07:00 AM »
25 grains won't be much of a factor at hunting ranges. You can easily test to see if they mess with your tuning by shooting a group with the broad heads and with the same weight field tips. Take one arrow of each and shoot a dozen shots at about 20 yards. They should hit right together. BTW, shoot one arrow at a time. Even if you shoot the broadhead first, your field tip might damage the broad head.

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2015, 05:42:00 AM »
Unless your tune is on the edge of being weak 25gr increase in tip weight should work. For me 425gr is a little light for hunting big game but that is another question.
shoot straight shoot often

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2015, 09:34:00 AM »
That's kinda what I'm worried about being to light for hunting

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2015, 12:24:00 PM »
The way they are now gives you just over 8gr per pound, with the 25 extra grains on the broad head, that would put you just under 9gr per pound. You could shoot the heavier arrow for 3D and hunting or, add some weed Wacker rope inside the lighter arrow and that should put you over 9gr per pound and, shoot it for both.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline newhouse114

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2015, 12:34:00 PM »
I think people over think the weight forward issue, Fred Bear always used a 125 grain head and did his share of harvesting. More weight up front does give a penetration advantage but I wonder just how important this really is on deer sized critters and smaller. I do shoot with about 325 up front but elk are always on the menu.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2015, 11:11:00 PM »
Ok do I just realized the guy at the bow shop put 100grain field point on there so with my125 grain head the arrows are 426grains

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©