3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Knock point under arrow  (Read 508 times)

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Knock point under arrow
« on: March 15, 2015, 10:55:00 AM »
I have noticed in some videos of Howard Hill that he knocks his arrow on top of the knock point .
Was wondering how how many of you do that ?
I like a double knock point with the arrow between but I think I might try the way Howard Hill did it and see if there is any advantage .
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Knock point under arrow
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 11:06:00 AM »
John Schulz explains Howard's method of nocking above. When handling the arrow by the nock ( back quiver)  you trap the string with your other fingers set the nock on and slide it down to the nock turn the hand and you ready to shoot.
Go to you tube John Schulz has 1-4 part videos explaining and demonstrating Howard's technique.
Warning you may want a new back quiver!
Tim

Offline Kris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2015, 11:07:00 AM »

"I might try the way Howard Hill did it and see if there is any advantage"

Per John Schulz...this was done so placing an arrow from a back quiver onto the string, by holding the arrow nock only, was faster and more efficient.  Coming from above the nock down onto the string makes for a more fluid, organic motion.  

Kris

Offline kwc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2015, 11:09:00 AM »
i allways have knocked over, if you need to nock an arrow quick with out taking your eye off your target you just nock your arrow slide it down till it hits your nock and your ready to shoot without looking for your knocking point

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2015, 11:09:00 AM »
I nock below my nock point. Back quiver or Catquiver, doesn't matter. I slide the arrow down to my rest, trapping the nock on the string, then slide the nock up. Basically just like Schulz only I nock below.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Kris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2015, 11:10:00 AM »
Funny...we made the posts above at the same time and both referenced J. Schulz  Re: subj.

Kris

Offline Ron Vought

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2015, 11:16:00 AM »
I use two string nocks and nock between them. This keeps the arrow from sliding up or down the serving.

Ron

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2015, 11:18:00 AM »
I have used both.  Cannot understand the controversy.
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline kwc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2015, 11:23:00 AM »
dont think its a controversy its just explaining what howard or you prefer and why

Offline newhouse114

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2015, 12:29:00 PM »
Nocking above is not compatible with a 3 under draw.

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2015, 12:31:00 PM »
I use two tie-on nocking points.I used one nocking point years ago when I shot wood arrows with mercury nocks.

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2015, 12:37:00 PM »
newhouse is correct about 3 under.

I'd point out one advantage of nocking over the locator is that if you change arrow diameters, you do not have to adjust your locator position to accommodate larger or smaller diameter arrows.

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline redfish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2015, 12:54:00 PM »
I nocked over way back. That is all I knew of then. After being away for years, when I came back it had switched to nocking under, and also there were people shooting 3 under, so I guess there was a reason.
Anyway, just last week I retied my nock point to start nocking above again...just cause I like to.
El Paisano
Ebi-kuyuutsi

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2015, 01:21:00 PM »
I nock over as I shoot a mixture of tapered and parallel woods, and as Arne pointed out, this compensates for the diameter difference without re-tuning.  It's also easier for me to nock an arrow while keeping my concentration where it needs to be.  

While I do use a back quiver, I don't nock the arrow by trapping the string with the heel of my hand like JS....I always have to tap my fingers down into the stalls of my shooting glove so any advantage of saving time in doing so would be lost.
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline lbshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2015, 08:26:00 AM »
With my longbows I knock over preferreng the Mercury speed knocks with a nail polish coated, floss knocking point. I agree, you can keep your eye on the game, and it is very fast when using a back quiver

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2015, 08:53:00 AM »
I used to. I don't really recall why I changed over.
Sam

Offline Jack Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2015, 09:05:00 AM »
I have always nocked over just cause. Didnt know about it being better if using different size arrows though, does make sense. I shoot home made arrow shafts some are 25/64, some 3/8, some are even normal size. Has always worked great for me, I only use back quiver on occasion. But I also like the fact that I dont have to look down to nock in hunting situation.

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2015, 09:14:00 AM »
I guess for me the downside of nocking above would  be im a treestand hunter. When hanging my bow on a hook with the arrow nocked the nocked arrow would slide up the string. So nocking under makes more sense for me. Either way works  no need to look down coming from the bottom or top just a preference of shooting style.
I use a double nock set one above and below so I do occasionally have to look down. it eliminates the nock sliding down or up  when I shoot. If I get serious with a back quiver I may eliminate one or the other depending on which way I decide to go.

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2015, 09:40:00 AM »
I've always nocked over. It is the way I learned from reading early books about archery.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2015, 12:49:00 PM »
I should also point out I never look at my arrow or nock when nocking a second arrow. I keep my eyes focused on the critter. Once the arrow is on the string, just slide it up until it hits the nock point and I'm ready.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©