3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: North Carolina hog hunting  (Read 493 times)

Offline bourlandrobert

• Trad Bowhunter
North Carolina hog hunting
« on: March 15, 2015, 02:38:00 PM »
With the thread on South Carolina hog hunting I thought I would throw this out there. What about North Carolina? My sister in law lives outside of flat rock and I know there is a ton of public land around are there any hogs there. Going back to visit again in June if anybody knows of any areas around there to check out would be great:) Would the hunting be any good in June? Or should I go back again in the fall?

Offline Sam Mashni

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: North Carolina hog hunting
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 07:37:00 PM »
I live in dana, which is next to flat rock. Have not seen any or heard of any. Heard rumors of some in the counties that border tenn. Again just rumors....
Thank you

Sam

Offline Jake Scott

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2015, 08:29:00 PM »
There are very small groups in the mountains, most are very, very remote or in the Smokies where there is no hunting.  I've lived and hunted all over western NC and east TN my whole life and only seen one hog, and he was in the Smokies.  My advice is go south and hunt hogs where you may actually see one.  I would love to have a heathy hog population to chase.

Jake
FORM FORM FORM FORM

TGMM family of the bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2015, 09:37:00 PM »
Don't know where flat rock is but as said go south. Or if in Brunswick county the green swamp is decent.
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2015, 10:26:00 PM »
Not many here in WNC. There have been a few reported in DuPont State Forest and a few in the Pisgah but not reliable enough to hunt. Earlier this year or late last year a large boar(609#) was killed near The Gorges State Park.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline bourlandrobert

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2015, 12:01:00 AM »
Thanks for the input guys, doesn't look like I will be doing any hog hunting:(

Offline Looper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2015, 12:06:00 AM »
There are huntable populations within an hour of Flat Rock down in SC, but you'd have to wait until deer season opens back up. In the SC hog hunting thread, I posted a pick of some hogs. That picture was taken not 10miles as the crow flies from where that 600# hog was killed (the one Pat talked about).

Offline bourlandrobert

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2015, 12:12:00 AM »
Dang it I was hoping for some off season hunting! How is the deer hunting back there? It looks like there is a lot of public land, can you not hunt the national forest? Just the game lands?? Sorry for the dumb questions but out west we can hunt any public land if we have a tag good for the unit.

Offline bourlandrobert

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2015, 12:24:00 AM »
Sweet an hour is no problem

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2015, 08:10:00 AM »
Save up a few hundred bucks and head south. Theyre not far and theyre the most enjoyable animal ive hunted! Checkout my friends at True South Adventures, its a great time on a budget!
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2015, 09:48:00 AM »
There is lots of hunting land in the Pisgah National Forest, the State Forest and State Parks have limited hunting, area-wise and season-wise.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2015, 02:03:00 PM »
I've seen hog sign (rooting only- no scat or wallows) in Columbus Co near Brunswick, but the area is a three day area and you can only hunt hogs on gamelands when another game animal is in season. So no June hunting. Sept would be the earliest you could hunt it. Mosquitoes are absolutely horrible and they laugh at a Thermacell.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline mangonboat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2015, 02:08:00 PM »
Folks who hunt the far western tip of NC in Cherokee County will occasionally get into hogs while bear hunting with dogs, but otherwise few and far between.
mangonboat

I've adopted too many bows that needed a good home.

Offline JohnV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2015, 02:28:00 PM »
A mountain hog killed by spot and stalk is probably the toughest animal to kill in NC.  Mountain hogs roam a lot.  Populations are low in the mountains.  Food sources are scattered and constantly change throughout the season.  I don't know of any NC bowhunter that has deliberately hunted hogs in the mountains and was successful, without the use of hounds.
Proud Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©