3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Manchu quiver buildalong...  (Read 386 times)

Offline halfseminole

• Trad Bowhunter
Manchu quiver buildalong...
« on: March 15, 2015, 05:07:00 PM »
So I'm whipping up some Manchu equipment to go with my new bow and arrows.  It's some pretty involved stuff-it's not just a bag arrows go in.  Not that other quivers really are, but these are considered as serious business when the Manchu were in power.  Archers got a heavy stipend to get their own gear, as well as the ceremonial versions used by the emporer and the imperial guards.  There were complex, ornate affairs made to carry a limited number of arrows ready at a moment's notice on foot or horseback.

http://www.manchuarchery.org/qing-bow-cases-quivers

That's essential reading to understand what I'm doing  here-these are very specific quivers for a very specific type of arrow.  Manchu arrows being over a meter at times it takes a very specific quiver to support them.

Mine is being designed to handle eighteen arrows-six armor piercing broadheads, six plum needle arrowheads, three hunting broadheads, a whistle arrow, an arrow whistle (these are different types, one has a broadhead, the other is just a whistle tip) and a specific arrowhead called a hare fork head, which is something like a field tip with arms sticking out behind it, keeping it from burying itself in the grass when shot at small animals.

http://www.manchuarchery.org/arrows

http://www.manchuarchery.org/content/whistling-arrows-and-whistle-arrows

http://www.manchuarchery.org/manchu-war-arrows

A full quiver with its complement of arrows may weigh over five pounds.  These are arrows designed for war and big game.  Want to punch through a big hog's shield?  I have just the arrow for you.  Want to punch through chain, scale, lamellar or rattan armor?  I'm carrying that head.  Small game?  Got it.  Targets?  Yup.  Want that deer to stay perfectly still?  Got that arrow.  It'll freeze when it hears the whistle and the broadhead will destroy it-there are records of game pinned to trees.

So, bunch of text.  Now to pics.

This is the quiver frame.  It's very light white pine, made up of different pieces to add a bit of strength.  It's something to keep the quiver open for the wool that will hold the arrows.  Other than cutting it on the bandsaw and gluing this up with TBIII, I plan to use Old World techniques to put it together, I hope.

The plan is veneer on the outside, leather on the inside.  After that the leather is essentially nailed to the frame.  That step is very close to the end, both sides will require a lot of work before they're ready to be attached.

I'm almost finished with the back pocket quivers-as I don't have access to silk velvet, I am using microsuede and cotton cloth to put them together, sewn with outdoor cotton thread.

Still haven't figured out what to do for the metal appointments, but I have some dead soft copper here...

Offline iohkus

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Manchu quiver buildalong...
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 03:47:00 PM »
Interested in following this -Seminole.
Hmmmmm. I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I'm
not sure that what you heard is what I actually meant!

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 07:10:00 PM »
That Hare Head has merit.  Interesting thread....following along.
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline halfseminole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 09:19:00 PM »

Care to guess the veneer under Spiderman's handiwork?  I've always preferred rope for dealing with complex curves.  Nylon doesn't stick so well to my glue, I found.  Tomorrow I can remove the string and start trimming/sanding.

First two veneers are leopardwood and some crazy figured walnut burl.

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 09:33:00 PM »
Awesome, this will be good.  :archer:

Online KenH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2015, 09:54:00 PM »
Nice work so far, Mal-ee-tul-kah
Living Aboard the s/v ManCave

Offline halfseminole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2015, 10:07:00 PM »
Thanks, metachak-ulke.  I'm working on my Mikasuki-Seminole as well as my archery.

BTW, that word isn't polite to use for a mixed race person.  Try maletulke.  Or better yet, ahessi.

Offline halfseminole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2015, 12:53:00 AM »

Under the webbing was waterfall and burl maple veneer.  It bent beautifully.

I buggered up and had a gap in the veneer between the walnut and maple, so I wound in some of my favorite color silk and hide glued it in place.  

You can see the sanding dust in the pores of the wood.  Tomorrow I'll wet it down with mineral spirits to remove the dust and show off the real figuring.

Also, two items I'm listing this year for St Jude's:

A Korean donggae quiver (I plan to make a few more of these.)

And, a Turkish style thumb ring in solid precious amber.  Not really shootable, but worth a fair penny.

Online KenH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2015, 08:18:00 AM »
"Englishman"  eh?   I deserve that!  Pardon my blooper.  I didn't realize the connotation. All I've got is a crummy Seminole-English-Seminole dictionary I found online from the Seminole Wars Historic Foundation.  

I'm using it in the historical fiction novel I'm writing, where my steamboat captain is doing some bi-lingual trading with a couple families of Seminole he meets along the Caloosahatchee in 1880-81.

Beautiful amber ring.  I wouldn't shoot with it!  I'd love to have one made from malachite, my favorite stone.
Living Aboard the s/v ManCave

Offline halfseminole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2015, 05:55:00 PM »

Nice piece of rawhide for reinforcement.  Had I bent this instead of pieced it, much of my work would have been done for me.  Hopefully I can either cut them as one piece or bend them going forward.  I'd like to build more.

The veneers after I removed the sanding dust from the pores.  When I decide to shellac or pine varnish it the figure will really pop, I've tested it on other pieces of the same veneers.

Now I'll have to move forward to leatherworking and sewing, both to finish the frame and to make the sides of the quiver.  After a few quiversfull of arrows, it might be later when I update on that.

Offline goobersan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2015, 04:20:00 PM »
:thumbsup:  lookin good Ed     :thumbsup:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©