3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New wood grain pattern on carbon shafts?  (Read 1955 times)

Offline tecum-tha

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New wood grain pattern on carbon shafts?
« Reply #60 on: March 18, 2015, 06:29:00 PM »
Just bring the VPA Carbonwood look back.
What I deem even more important is to have closer spine groups. Normal carbon shafts are coming in about 15# spine difference in wood spine.
A lot of times, you either need to use a very light point or you need to go up and have a very heavy point weight upfront. Would love to see them doing more something like: 50#,60#,70#,80#,90# spine equivalents where standard 5/16" components fit (brass inserts etc.)
But traditional archery is only a niche market and we have to make do with what the composters want....

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: March 19, 2015, 07:25:00 AM »
Spoke with them yesterday and suggested again...go with longer shafts. Especially in the 600 spine since it is only 30".
The general consensus ...talking averages here is to go slightly darker with a more prominent spine.

The existing pattern is already on the light "color" side so there is no need to re think that ..I think.

As much as I like the cap dip and footing idea, I think that would leave a lot of people out of the mix.

I would also love to have these personalized with a logo but worry that it would keep other business from purchasing these to resale. I'm not after an exclusive nor do I believe that everyone would buy from me...but I don't see why not  :)  

What I'm after is something different just because. It might be cool to give them a "cool" name. How bout Gold tip "woodies"

"Go to the woods with a "WOODIE" and keep your wife wondering what's really going on"  :)  

Sorry, couldn't help myself...probably wouldn't be helpful to those who have a hard time getting a kitchen pass.

Thanks, bigJim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline northener

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: March 19, 2015, 07:54:00 AM »
Longer is good   I too am one that keep GT full length because of my 31 1/2"  draw. In fact that is why I shoot GT in the first place. Hard to find long shafts these days.

How about  "Big Woods"  or  "Big Woodies"
Intellectuals solve problem, geniuses prevent them

Offline CRS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: March 19, 2015, 09:22:00 AM »
I like "Big Woods"

or Big Jim's Big Woods arrows?

I really like the idea of keeping them simple and allowing the individual to personalize them.
Inquiring minds.......

Offline Etter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: March 19, 2015, 09:38:00 AM »
I love the idea of grey.  Birch maybe?  I buy all my arrows from you guys anyhow so more options is always better.

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: March 19, 2015, 09:40:00 AM »
Beautiful grain in a rich dark wood -- that's a look that would be very popular. Then they can be individualized by the owner with cap and crest, etc.
My 2 cents worth.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline northener

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: March 19, 2015, 01:15:00 PM »
Oh  Oh  Oh    how about   "Deliverance"   just the name sounds tough and mean.

Just another name if you feel "Big Jims" name would limit the shaft

I too like the rich dark grain pattern.
Intellectuals solve problem, geniuses prevent them

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: March 20, 2015, 12:11:00 AM »
I spoke with GT again this evening and it is looking good but still locking in a few items such as over all length of shafts and pattern.

this is going to take some time I think. I will also have to name them of course.

They won't be footed, and they wont have a cap wrap. If I have anything to say about it, the graphics will be small. Anyway, they are all removable.
I am hoping to see some patterns real soon.
BigJIm

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: March 20, 2015, 06:46:00 AM »
yeah, it might seem like extra trouble, but it is fun...I can't wait to see some of the currently available patterns. GT says they already have quite a few in the system.

I have been thinking hard about the light/dark thing and the one thing that keeps poping up in my head is a moderately light colored shaft...not lighter than their current offering with considerably darker grain lines.
Kind like wiping a shaft with black and then cleaning off as much as possible. The color would stay in the grain but only be a hint in the rest of the arrow.

Naming this will be fun, but the best names (funny names) often offend. Certainly won't offend me. I have thick skin...keeps my belly from falling too far over the belt. But many are not so forgiving.
My rep at GT told me of two different retailers of theirs that dropped the GT line because of their new catch phrase of "Dam Straight". Wow that is sensitive.

How bout "BigJims...Darts"  after all, it seems like everyone is trying to achieve arrows that fly like darts. I'm just kidding here too as this old comparison can get "OLD".

BigJIm...just having fun.

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #69 on: March 20, 2015, 07:37:00 AM »
I'm thinking a dark colour also Jim as there are a few of the lighter coloured carbons on the market now like what 3Rivers offers and also my current shaft, the AD trads.

I know I'd shoot them if you offered a darker stain like a dark walnut... Even a light, figured ebony even.

At the end of the day you have to please the masses...
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline CRS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: March 20, 2015, 09:37:00 AM »
I would love a pattern  that is natural camo by itself.  Natural turkey feathers and brown nocks would be perfect.

Definitely a plus when going after turkeys and deer on the ground with no ground blind.  

Big Woods for the big woods.
Bright wraps/feathers/nocks for the target.
Light colored shafts for prairie hunting.
Black shafts for the ground blinds.

Color coordination at it's best!

Is my Type A showing?
Inquiring minds.......

Offline Scott E

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: March 20, 2015, 10:15:00 AM »
I like the idea of doing them in a dark wood with a footing. Maybe the footing can be a highly figured burl or something like that,
Self reliance cannot be bought

Offline don kauss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: March 20, 2015, 11:37:00 AM »
You can color shafts to look like wood...

but to me, it's kinda like putting lipstick on a pig...

That's just me

:dunno:
Your Chicken from McDonald's, Tyson Foods, or Perdue Farms spent most of it's life stuffed in a cage with three or four others, occupying a space about the size of a book page...None for me, thanks...

Offline thumper-tx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: March 20, 2015, 11:47:00 AM »
Jim,
You hit it above.... grain lines with enough contrast that they "pop out"

Offline shreffler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: March 20, 2015, 11:51:00 AM »
You know the saying.."if you build it, they will come". Whatever you decide on, people will buy it. Not just because of the colors, but because they know they're getting great service/price from you. I'm excited to see some new colors, I like the idea of a dark color.

I bought some "Dark Woodgrain" GT Trads last year and when they came I was disappointed at how light in color they actually were. A deep red/brown would look great.
"If you're not bowhunting, your spirit is on standby." - Uncle Ted

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: March 20, 2015, 11:52:00 AM »
You could call them BJs Woodies/naturals.

Offline tecum-tha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: March 20, 2015, 12:02:00 PM »
Since GT bought out VPA back then, just name them Big Jims's Carbonwoods again.I don't think that will offend anyone.
I think traditional archers can very well do without all the "flashy (trashy?) advertising" which is so common in the composting world.
Isn't it more true, that for us traditional archers, it is the most annoying thing that product lines/names/specifications always change and when you need replacements for your worn out stuff the product is long out of production???
That's why I think, if GT would be able to offer shafts more in line with regular spine designations and keep them constant, there would be a good dependable market.
That is one reason I mostly will stay with wood. They are pretty much the same  over years if they are straight grained shafts. For traveling and EFOC, carbon works real well.

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: March 20, 2015, 03:28:00 PM »
BigJim, I like the idea of the footed wood grain. Also black and white ebony would be cool. I know I will be up for adozen.
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline shedhunta

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: March 20, 2015, 04:42:00 PM »
Dark Grainy wood without footing gets my vote.  I have a set of darker gold tips from you from about 2 years ago and loved them.
Toelke whip 2 piece.  58" 50@28"

Offline Fastltz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: March 20, 2015, 06:13:00 PM »
Big jim...just something to keep in mind, I think the new byron Ferguson heavy hunters have a darker grain and may have the footed end. I talked with him at an event and he showed me some pics. As for a name hohow about "hardwoods"
1 Peter 3:15 ...always be ready to give a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©