3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What's a Good Glue to Use to Join Leather with Plastic and Other Leather??  (Read 450 times)

Offline Nala

• Trad Bowhunter
Hey all,

I am making a few tabs and need some glue to use.  I have a plastic type material that I am going to glue leather to and then glue a leather to that piece of leather to back it.  I am going to join the whole thing with some of those screws that you see on tabs that hold them together.

I don't want to use Super Glue, it doesn't seem like it would be the best choice.

You know when you see a tab how it's sandwiched together with a palm plate and 2 pieces of leather or leather and another type of material.  I just need a good glue to join them.

I have some 2 part epoxy I can use if need be.  I want to get some ideas form you all first.

What do you suggest?

Thanks

Nalajr

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
contact cement
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline Lassiter

• Trad Bowhunter
Rubber cement works well with leather

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
I second the contact cement, but only at the back edge before the string contact. You don't want the ends of the tab glued together, they need to slide as the flex. Make sense?
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline Nala

• Trad Bowhunter
Thanks.

I'll pick some up.

Nalajr

Offline tim roberts

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Barge Cement, best for leather, will do a temporary hold on the plastic until the screws hold it peremantly.
Thanks,
Tim

TGMM Family of the Bow

I guess if we run into the bear that is making these tracks, we oughta just get off the trail.......He seems to like it!  
My good friend Rudy Bonser, while hunting elk up Indian Creek.

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
Ive barg cement on various leather projects with good results.
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline Nala

• Trad Bowhunter
You know that was my first thought and I have looked in True Value, Wal-Mart, Lowes and Home Depot and haven't seen a single tube.  Strangest thing.  I thought that stuff was available everywhere.

I think the contact cement will be best though.  On the edges, where the palm plate is and there isn't a screw close enough, I don't want that layer to come apart.

Sadly, that stuff too is hard as heck to find.  I have to go all the way to Home Depot to get it tomorrow.

I wish there was something from GORILLA products that would work well.  That stuff is all over the place.  I swear every one of the stores I go in has seemingly every single product that GORILLA has.  There's another brand that also has shelves full of stuff right next to the GORILLA stuff, LOC-Tite.

Can you think of anything that they have that would work just as well as Contact Cement?

Thanks

Nalajr

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Plumbers Goop works well and is waterproof and can be found at Lowes and Home Depot in the isle where the glues are found ..It is sometimes in a purple tube but recently they switched it to a grayish color tube and around $5.00 for a tube bigger then Barge..I have used it on a tab I made once with a rubber pad I added and it worked great holding it on once cured..Doesn't cure as quickly as Barge but will in a few hours ..You can use it on just about anything and it's clear in color..

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Originally posted by tim roberts:
Barge Cement, best for leather, will do a temporary hold on the plastic until the screws hold it peremantly.
Thanks,
x2
shoot straight shoot often

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
Any good contact cement will work, but like Bladepeek said, a multi-layer tab needs to be able slip when bent.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
I use Tanners Bond Contact cement from the leather factory.
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline jhk1

• Trad Bowhunter
x2 what Tim from Farr West Leather says-- Barge Cement.  I use it to glue leather grips to my longbows, and for other leather projects.

I get Barge Cement from Ace Hardware.

Jim

Offline bowhuntingrn

• Trad Bowhunter
Finding the "real" Barge cement in the red and yellow tube is next to impossible these days. You can find the "safer" reformulated version in the blue and black tube in most hobby stores. I have tried another contact cement called E6000 recently that isn't bad, but not near what the old Barge was / is. I've also heard "Shoo Goo" is good stuff, but my only experience with it was a total mess.
"The first 40 years of childhood are always the hardest"

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
I really haven't been able to tell any difference in the various brands of contact cements. I use Weldwood that I get at Meijer or Walmart or the local hardware store for my leather projects.
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28

Offline el chupa nibre

• Trad Bowhunter
Originally posted by bowhuntingrn:
Finding the "real" Barge cement in the red and yellow tube is next to impossible these days. You can find the "safer" reformulated version in the blue and black tube in most hobby stores. I have tried another contact cement called E6000 recently that isn't bad, but not near what the old Barge was / is. I've also heard "Shoo Goo" is good stuff, but my only experience with it was a total mess.
I actually prefer Shoe Goo to the typical offerings of barge cement but that may be because I haven't tried the ones that come in the red/yellow tube.

Offline nleroux2

• Trad Bowhunter
I've used most of the industrial contact cement brands, Jet, Barge, Masters etc. in my shop and they all hold about the same. I prefer Masters because it is a bit thinner and spreads easier than Barge. You can get it in gallons or quarts from Springfield Leather just up the road from BW bow Co. I buy about a gallon a month and use it leather to leather, leather to rubber, plastic, wood, rubber to rubber, neoprene, even leather to steel.

http://springfieldleather.com
I hunt; Therefore I eat well.
Currently in the freezer: Venison, Hog.

Offline hart2hart

• Trad Bowhunter
Glue's OK(Barge,contact,etc) but I've found stitching or rivets(hardware store) do best and add class.The glue just holds everything in place 'til the stitching/rivets are done.
Mike

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
hart2hart, that's the way I look at it too. The contact cement just holds my leather in place until I stitch it, (but I think it also spreads the load a bit too).

If you look at any of the old knife sheaths, where there was no welt included, the stitching has failed because it was cut by the point or edge of the blade. Good, nylon stitching, if it's protected from abrasion or sharp edges will last forever and two days.
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©