3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bow Weight Problem  (Read 605 times)

Offline PAlline

• Trad Bowhunter
Bow Weight Problem
« on: March 18, 2015, 12:21:00 PM »
I bought a trad longbow when I was 17 with my own money, a LH #55 Martin Venom longbow to be exact. I thought that 55 pounds wouldn't be too bad since I worked out a lot and I would be able to handle it. I was definately wrong though, I was able to pull it back but it wasn't a breeze and I was never able to develop consistant good form because my first bow was such a high weight and this discouraged me. I'm 23 now and I have messed around with the bow every 6 months since I got it but I was wondering if anyone had tips on what I should do to improve my bow strength so I can develop good form and control of the bow. I saw the "Bow Trainer Strength Training for Archers" product on amazon and thought that would be a good start. Also I'm still in college (last year) so buying a new bow right now is not really feasible for me, although a #45 Martin Venom, Viper or Savannah would be awesome!   :wavey:
I seek to learn, teach me

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow Weight Problem
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 12:29:00 PM »
Even for a healthy person it can be hard starting.
Shooting a bow properly with good form uses different muscles, especially your back muscles.

Any kind of resistance traing will help if the correct muscle groups are worked.
Even pulling the bow can help but don't forget to do both arms.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 12:35:00 PM »
Welcome from Kentucky!

I would recommend selling it and buying a 45-50 lber. You will never really enjoy shooting with a over weight bow. Believe me I know. When I stepped down I couldn't shoot enough. It was fun again.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Doug_K

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 12:36:00 PM »
I bought the Bow Trainer 2 and a half months ago, and it works, but it's no miracle. The full draw bands only go up to 70# at my draw, so that's part of it.

When I was just starting out with hunting weight bows with training wheels 15 years or so ago (low letoff), I would draw on target, hold for 10-15 seconds, and release. Try doing that in sets of whatever you can handle and work your way up.

Mind your form and muscles, if they start feeling sore, especially in the wrong places, let up for a while. Damaged muscles are highly counter-productive.
60" W&W Black Wolf 55#
64" Bamabows Hunter 52#
60" Bamabows Expedition III 52#
70" Bamabows Hunter 55#
60" A.D.M Earth 63#

Offline Clint B.

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 12:42:00 PM »
Practice drawing & holding an inch or so past your normal draw length. Draw both left & right handed.

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2015, 12:43:00 PM »
Yep, what KentuckyTJ said....get a lighter bow. You will develop very bad habits if you keep trying to shoot a bow that is not comfortable for you and those bad habits are a huge problem to get rid of....believe me!
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Msbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2015, 12:44:00 PM »
The main thing is not to injure yourself, take it slow! To be able to shoot that bow will take dedication. You can't just try to shoot it every 6 months and expect results.

What you should do is slowly draw your bow and slowly let it down till you can't anymore. Do it 3 times a day 3 times a week. Give your body time to recover. After about two weeks you can start holding that weight at anchor till you can't anymore 3 times a day 3 times a week.

After another two weeks start mixing it up slowly drawing and letting down and holding at anchor.

You have to give your muscles time to recover especially at the start of your strength building process. it will take time you just have to stick with it
"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted"-Jose Ortega y Gasset

Offline PAlline

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2015, 12:59:00 PM »
Wow I really appreciate all the feedback so soon from everyone! Thank you, I really appreciate it!    :notworthy:   I don't think I can part with the bow like yall are suggesting, it just has too much sentimental value to me. It would feel like selling a part of me. Though I definitely agree that if I can find the coin I should invest in a weaker bow so I develop good technique. I'm thinking I will try the trainer and "Msbow" and "Clint B." tips for training with the bow and be sure to do both arms to keep myself even. What books/videos did yall use to develop your form? I love watching Jeff Kavanagh's youtube videos, his anchor and secondary anchor point video were especially eye opening for me.   :eek:

Offline mtsouthpaw

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2015, 01:42:00 PM »
If you like to lift weights, focus on reverse butterfly exercises.  There is no better form practice than that.  Really focus on squeezing together your intrascapular and the muscles along your spine.  These are the very ones which are employed during shooting and will keep your back muscles equally strong bilaterally. Pull-ups are another great exercise.  Buy this book:  Core Archery by Larry Wise.  It explains well all the muscles necessary for good form, and how especially to use the back muscles.  I suggest not concerning yourself with shooting at a target until your back muscles are conditioned.  As others have said, you will just create poor form.

Take heart - once you utilize the proper back muscles, you will comfortably shoot that bow!

Offline Msbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2015, 01:49:00 PM »
Go to you tube and type in moebow or Arne Moe he has some good videos on the subject of form. You will definitely have to control the bow and it not control you to begin even trying to have good form. I wouldn't even try to shoot your bow or work on form till you can control it or you WILL have bad habits. Form is all about having consistent control of the bow.
"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted"-Jose Ortega y Gasset

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2015, 03:42:00 PM »
Pull ups AND push ups, you are pulling with one hand and pushing with the other. A couple of weeks and you will notice a difference. Building muscle by any method takes time............. A healthy adult male at 23 should be able to shoot 55# comfortably with a little work...............
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2015, 03:56:00 PM »
Drawing both sides is important. I would add two tips.  It is good for your shoulders to do an opposing exercise, since you will have your bow to do expansion work, do either reclining butterflies with dumbbells or push-ups. Also, when working on building muscle lift normally and then let down very slowly, the same when drawing a bow fro strength training, let it down very slowly for the first few inches after a full draw. The same for butterflies come up and then slowly lower the weights. You can get more muscle quicker with less weight when the muscle is expanding under resistance.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2015, 04:18:00 PM »
Flies are a great way to improve strength..........I have 2 five gallon water jugs-one for each hand. I do 2 sets of 15 reps each and towards the end of the second set the burn is really coming on. Some day I will put water in those jugs!

Offline mangonboat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2015, 04:29:00 PM »
Since you want to keep your 55# Venom and build up to it, I would look around the usual sites for a bow that's just under 45#, not because you need that light but because there is an odd price jump when you hit 45# and another when you hit 50#.

Find a shootable lefty similar in overall design to the Venom , get a half-dozen arrows matched to that bow and your draw length and discover the joy of shooting with good form and consistency. You can pick up an excellent-shooting  used longbow similar to a Venom in the 40-44# range, some  for under $100. When you're really grooving with that bow, trade it \\ get a similar used 45-48# bow and do the same thing again at 50'ish.

My bows are 45# -60#, RH and LH,  and I shoot all of them regularly, but I love those days I wake up and decide its a good day to to shoot stumps and/or  sneak around looking for critters with my 45# 1962 Kodiak.
mangonboat

I've adopted too many bows that needed a good home.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2015, 05:37:00 PM »
Originally posted by hvyhitter:
Pull ups AND push ups, you are pulling with one hand and pushing with the other. A couple of weeks and you will notice a difference. Building muscle by any method takes time............. A healthy adult male at 23 should be able to shoot 55# comfortably with a little work...............
2X on this thought... No pain.... no gain...

But... if you are anxious to do a lot more shooting before you build your strength up you can pick up a 45# bow second hand pretty cheap. I've got a very nice Flatliner long bow for  sale in the sponsors classified at a reduced price in your draw weight range.

Offline Tall Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2015, 06:39:00 PM »
Originally posted by KentuckyTJ:
I would recommend selling it and buying a 45-50 lber. You will never really enjoy shooting with a over weight bow. Believe me I know. When I stepped down I couldn't shoot enough. It was fun again. [/QB]
Absolutely dead-on! Shooting a too-heavy bow will cause you nothing but misery! I'd go 45 lbs.
Is a life of rice cakes really life, or just passing time?-Rick Bragg

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2015, 09:49:00 PM »
All good info above however, I can't help but think your doing something wrong.you said you work out and that your 23, 55# should not be too hard for you to shoot.I would also try concentrating on any info pertaining to the mechanics of drawing and holding the bow.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline PAlline

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2015, 12:32:00 AM »
You could be right "njoco" and maybe I'm not describing the problem I am having too broadly and not accurately enough. My problem is not that I cannot draw back the bow fully to my full draw length and anchor point and do this smoothly(I'm 6'1" 190 lb with good muscle mass). It is that I have a hard time holding it there for more than say 5 to 7 seconds. And after say 30 to 45 minutes of shooting the bow I begin to tire and my shots become more quick draw in nature after my 2nd or 3rd arrow of the 6 I shoot. This quick shooting doesn't allow me to shoot accurately and use good, repeatable form. Which then makes my groupings more spaced out and inaccurate. Then leading me to become discouraged and have target panic. This target panic then makes it harder to shoot and makes me want to hold on to the arrow longer than I normally would. Which eventually discourages me to where I put the bow up till the next time the archery bug starts itching so bad I can't stop thinking about it and I have to pick the bow back up. This is why I posted the bow weight problem. Because I know I over bowed myself at the beginning which has taken away enjoyment from my shooting experience and want to stay with the hobby consistently. Thus I was lead here to ask about how to increase my bow strength since I don't have the coin to buy a lower weight bow right now. I want/need to increase my strength so that I can hold the string of my bow to anchor point "all day" so that I can focus on my form, get past my target panic, increase my accuracy, and fully enjoy the sport like I so long to do.   :(    Sorry I wasn't more explicit in my initial post.

Offline PAlline

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2015, 02:48:00 AM »
Trying to post picture

Offline PAlline

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2015, 03:03:00 AM »