3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bow Weight Problem  (Read 604 times)

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow Weight Problem
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2015, 06:58:00 AM »
What I would suggest, is doing blind/blank bale practice, concentrate on form for a few weeks, this will also help you use those muscles and get used to engaging them as needed in shooting, as said above , a lighter bow would come in handy for this but since that's out of the question for now, the blind/blank bale is the next best thing. You could also look into making or buying a form master which will help.

Just to make feel a little better, my older son is about 5'7 @ 145-50 lbs, he swings two 70# kettle bells and usually works out with a 106 pounder,he's a solid brick wall, and I can hold my bows back longer and more steady then he can, so don't let it get you down because once you get the hang of it, you'll do just fine !

P.S. I don't know what the average hold time is but, I don't think I hold on target for more than 2-3 seconds but, I have been shooting a long time.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline mangonboat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2015, 09:26:00 AM »
You might also try practicing with your Venom shooting three arrow groups rather than six. When fatigue is setting in, mental fatigue is likely as well, and it gets progressively  harder to maintain your form and focus . Shoot three, think about how and why that group flew the way they did and hit where they hit while your walking and pulling arrows. The interim activities   of walking, pulling arrows and even bending over to set down and pick up your bow also give some stretch and relax to all the major muscle groups.
mangonboat

I've adopted too many bows that needed a good home.

Offline PAlline

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2015, 11:01:00 AM »
I really appreciate all the help guys!      :)      :notworthy:   I agree I think blank bale shooting would be very beneficial so that I could get past my target panic and focus on form. And reducing the number of arrows is definately something I should do. I think what I am going to do now though is not shoot yet. Get a bow trainer and work out with that so that I can get used to a weight that is MUCH higher than my bow weight so that when I step down it will feel so manageable in my hand. Also I have an additional question, sorry I don't know of any trad archers that I can pick their brains besides yall. Since I have never received proper training and on what correct form really is, so I'm shooting in a way blind to any small/big mistakes I am doing. What books do yall suggest? I have heard of Bryon Fergouson's book "Become the Arrow" , "Core Archery" by Larry Wise, and a couple of youtube channels. Is there anything that yall have come in contact with that would help me understand and improve my technique? I figured I could do some reading while I strengthen myself. Then use this new knowledge in conjunction with improved strength and using a bow trainer I'm hoping I can improve my form, accuracy and confidence!

Again thank you ALL for all of the help I appreciate this so much!!    :clapper:      

Here is a link to the image:

http://s27.postimg.org/8az9apuoj/bow.jpg
I seek to learn, teach me

Offline Msbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2015, 11:33:00 AM »
"Shooting the Stickbow" 2nd edition by Anthony Camera is a real good book lots of info in there. You can get it from 3 rivers archery or you can call them and ask the experts and they will recommend some books to you. They are very helpful at 3 rivers don't be scared to call just to ask a question. While your at it tell them to send you a catalogue.
"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted"-Jose Ortega y Gasset

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2015, 11:33:00 AM »
I didn't page all the way back through this post, so somebody probably already suggested it, but look up "moebow" on you tube.

He has some really excellent videos on proper draw, release, and how to really get your back into the draw instead of your arms. You (or at least I) can watch those videos a lot of times and pick up a little more each time.

Then there is Masters of the Bare Bow, volumes 1 through 4, but especially number 3.

By the way, take a look at that picture of yourself from the back and then look at Terry's form clock. That high elbow has you way out of alignment with the arrow. Your back muscles should be pulling that elbow around to your back.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline PAlline

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2015, 09:18:00 PM »
Somebody has already mentioned his channel but that only reinforces that his channel will be a great resource to use! I appreciate it! I'll have to buy "Shooting the Stickbow" and "masters of the Bare bow" if i can get a cheap used one from amazon of 3 rivers! I really appreciate the help everyone! I hope I can give an update on how everything goes! Gotta become a contributor so I can look at the classfieds and see if their is a cheap used bow there! Again Thank you so much everyone!    :notworthy:    :clapper:

Offline PAlline

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2015, 10:00:00 PM »
If anyone has any other resources please feel free to add on to my list!

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2015, 07:10:00 AM »
Watch moebow's videos on YouTube, take one thing that his individual video describes, check to see that your doing it, engrain it into your form (blank bale) then go on to the next phase. It's a little time consuming but well worth it in the long run.

After a 20+ year hiatus from trad, I used Moe's instructional info to OTHER people on here to check that I was still using good form and, to tighten up my form. This is after I had people telling me that I already had good form.

I still use blind/blank bale form practice every so often.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline PAlline

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2015, 02:37:00 PM »
Ahh I see what your saying "njloco" blank bale it and watch his videos and focus on one part of my form at a time, instead of trying to be perfect in everything all at one. That's a great tip, I probably would have done the latter and gotten to bogged down!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©