3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Kifaru or Bison Gear?  (Read 1589 times)

Offline TubbsTru

• Trad Bowhunter
Kifaru or Bison Gear?
« on: March 19, 2015, 05:26:00 PM »
Hey all! I've been reading a TON of articles and reviews looking at packs, and have yet to find the following question answered:

Bison Gear or Kifaru packs? Specifically, I am looking at either the BG Lemhi or Kifaru Late Season.

Obviously I love the quietness and the trad aspect of the Bison Gear. But, in all my searching I've not heard more than one or two bad things about Kifaru. I guess for me the bottom line comes down to this: can the bison gear really match Kifaru in terms of suspension and weight hauling? I know the Bison Gear are quality, but can they match up? Not looking for information on any other pack brands, as I've tried a number of other ones and keep coming back to these two. Money is not the issue either

Hoping for some insight from those who have had both.

Thanks!

Offline TubbsTru

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Kifaru or Bison Gear?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 05:27:00 PM »
I should add, since I know this will be asked: I will primarily be using this for Whitetail hunting in the Midwest with the hopes of going out west once a year or so.

Offline Nuctech

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 05:50:00 PM »
Hey TubbsTru I just got done with my new pack search. Did the same thing as you, looked at a ton of articles and talked to a lot of folks who had experience with a variety of packs. I ended up buying a stone glacier pack made in Bozeman Montana.  I was either going to go with that or a Kifaru. I paid close attention to what the pack weighed empty. Bison gear makes some really great packs and for whitetail hunting they would work fine hauling quite a bit of gear. I have used the Lemhi in the past for carrying a bunch of stuff into public land areas to get away from the crowds. For western big game hunting where a person is planning on staying overnight or multiple nights there are better options in my opinion that weigh considerably less.  
Gabe

Offline TubbsTru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 06:08:00 PM »
Definitely looked at the Stone Glacier a lot. Ultimately I liked the modularity of the Kifaru on the one hand and quietness of the Bison on the other.

Thanks for the input!

Offline stykbow67

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 06:18:00 PM »
Well I  can honestly say Ive owned both of those packs and currently still own the Kifaru late season and absolutely love it. The Bison gear pack was a great pack and well made my only issue with it was not near enough  external lashing points. If the Lemhi would have had the molle webbing that the Late Season has I may not have got rid of it. Plus I feel the Late Season may handle a stout load of meat a little better, although I haven't been able to test that theory yet!  Good luck with your search I do believe either pack will serve you well!

Steve

Offline TubbsTru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 06:22:00 PM »
Thanks Stykbow! That's one of my reasons for wanting a Kifaru: being able to attach different pockets, etc. I really think things like the Grab it and cargo panel make the Kifarus very appealing.

Offline stykbow67

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2015, 06:29:00 PM »
Yes I've got 2 of the pods and a Grab it which make it very versatile, I don't see myself getting anything different anytime soon.

Steve

Online Bigriver

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2015, 06:57:00 PM »
Kifaru for hauling meat, pack in western hunts, Bison gear for whitetail hunts. I like the quietness of Bison gear materials. I have both packs, Kifaru longhunter and Bison gear Teton. It is a great daypack , plenty of options for deer hunting. Both are made to last a lifetime.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline TubbsTru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2015, 07:02:00 PM »
Thanks Bigriver!

Offline TubbsTru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2015, 07:12:00 PM »
Those who have had a Lemhi: anyway to strap a treestand to it in a reasonably comfortable manner?

Offline stykbow67

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2015, 07:51:00 PM »
Kinda like I stated earlier there's just nothing to lash to on the Lemhi, if it don't fit inside of it, it ain't goin! Lol

Steve

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2015, 10:16:00 PM »
It depends on the pack and body type. Some packs fit some people better than others. I had a kifaru longhunter and never could get it to ride correctly.  I bought a tenzing 5000 and it was really comfortable and loaded well.
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Nuctech

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2015, 10:20:00 PM »
What ever you choose at least you are looking at packs made in the USA. Kifaru has a fanatical fan base for a reason. Like night stalker said if you can try one on before you buy it might change your mind.

Gabe

Offline TubbsTru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2015, 10:28:00 PM »
Yeah...I've actually tried a Lemhi and while it was very comfortable without weight in it, I'm not convinced that it had everything necessary in terms of suspension to carry heavy loads. It seemed more "trad" than "technical." From everything I've read, though, Kifaru has the load carrying dialed in. But a) I love wolfskin fabric and b) I love the Predator fall gray pattern.

I'm really leaning toward the Kifaru, though, as I think it would work well from the Whitetail woods to the mountains and everywhere in between.

Not to complicate it more, but I'm actually looking at the Kifaru Duplex frame with a cargo panel for hauling treestands. I can always add bags and pockets later...

Offline Matt Quick

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2015, 12:00:00 AM »
I have a Kifaru longhunter, BG elk hunter and a BG lost river. You're asking a lot to try and use one pack for whitetails and elk. The BG are very nice well made packs and I'm happy with both of mine. When it comes to hauling a heavy load there is no comparison the Kifaru rules. With that said my Kifaru would be overkill for a normal whitetail hunt.

Offline TubbsTru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2015, 12:08:00 AM »
Matt- I'm quickly coming to that conclusion! I've got plenty of options for whitetail currently. I guess my main question is: can Bison Gear really compete with Kifaru out west in terms of hauling? I'm reading that as a "not really." I do think the Late Season would work well in some whitetail scenarios (packing in insulated bibs and coat) but agree that maybe it probably in most places be overkill. One of the things I really want to do more of, though, is packing a treestand into remote public land pieces. I think the Kifaru would do well for that. But, I may just have to face it: two packs.
Thanks for the reply.

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2015, 12:00:00 PM »
Well I haven't used either! But I'm getting ready to buy a Kifaru Nomad, if you want a day pack that can convert to a pack good enough and big enough to turn into a week pack in bag for your trips out west, it's the ticket IMO! Rocky Mountain Specialty Gear(sponsor) is becoming an authorized dealer for Kifaru and should have some packs in the store soon.
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline TubbsTru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2015, 12:36:00 PM »
Those Nomads look awesome for sure. Great design.

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2015, 10:17:00 PM »
kifaru all the way! the late season will cinch in and not be to big for day hunts but will haul a decent load too. day pack mode in, half a whitetail out.

i have a spike camp and a timberline II. the comfort and hauling ability is the best there is. add to this the modularity of their accessories and you have everything you need. quality is great and american made. (i know you lot like that)
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2015, 10:33:00 PM »
Look at the exo pack. You can see the write up on Rockslide.
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©