3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: bear super mag 48  (Read 659 times)

Offline cdscoot

• Trad Bowhunter
bear super mag 48
« on: March 20, 2015, 12:52:00 PM »
I have been shooting a grizzly 40#bow and was looking for a higher poundage bow for hunting. I was wondering if anyone had experience with the bear super mag 48 bow . I would like to know the pro's and con's of it. How bad is the finger pinch?

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: bear super mag 48
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2015, 02:53:00 PM »
I had an original that I bought in about 1971 or so.  I don't remember thinking about finger pinch when I shot it. Pretty high wrist grip as I recall.  It was ok.  I much prefer longer bows now tho. Mostly 58" to 68", with two or three right at 60"
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2015, 03:04:00 PM »
They are a kick but little bow . The only thing I don't like about them is they have a very high grip . But if you like a high grip it would be hard to beat
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 03:14:00 PM »
High grip.
don't wanna draw it much past 28"..just stacks a lot..FAST

It's a short bow..so it does have a narrower string angle at your fingers. Depending on how far you draw, the recurve tips can help soften the angle/feel at your fingers a bit by uncurling a touch more.

They are a nice bow no doubt about it.
..but they have the common pro's and con's of a short bow as well.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2015, 03:41:00 PM »
What is your draw length? I have read that Bear states it is for 28" & under draw lengths; don't know if that is really true or not. If you are over 28" I'd be more inclined to go for the KMag and if you are 30"+ I don't think I'd even go there. My KMag is not bad at 29" I've messed around with it trying some different anchor points just see how it feels at longer draw lengths and past 29 and stacking really seems to pick up past there to me on it. Have to think the Super Mag would be worse. A couple of the guys have mentioned the high grip and as someone who spends more time with his Grizzly than anything else I think they have a point. While I still like my KMag I find I really prefer something with not so high a grip as I am more used to the Grizzly.
SWA Spyder

Offline sheepdogreno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2015, 12:56:00 AM »
I really like my kmags as well...I wouldn't want to go much shorter than them. Short bows are a different beast. I draw my kmags to 28.5 and shoot them well but it takes a lot of form with a short bow.can't beat the small bows for maneuverability tho!
I'd rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6

Tradtech Titan 2 is my go to platform

Offline cdscoot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2015, 09:13:00 AM »
Thanks for all of the replies. I have a 28.5 draw length, and find that the grizzly stacks right at the end of my draw. I do not understand why Bear says the super mag 48 is a beginner to intermediate bow . What does the high grip mean?

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2015, 11:30:00 AM »
High grip means high wrist, meaning the bow is meant to be shot with the throat of the grip in the web of the hand between the thumb and forefinger.  The heel of your hand is pretty much out of the picture, revolved out of the way.  Can't really place the heel down on a high wrist grip.

Beginner to intermediate classification is good marketing.  Covers just about everyone, don't you think. Aren't really very many expert shooters around regardless of how long they've been shooting.

With a 28 1/2-inch draw, that bow will stack on you. You'll also feel the finger pinch. At 40#, it might be bearable. Certainly don't need a bow that short, or a shorter bow at all, for hunting.  But, whatever floats your boat.  Good luck.

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2015, 11:47:00 AM »
K mag yes all the way the 48" for my 28.5 draw a no go.just too short.Try first if at all possible.Kip

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2015, 01:18:00 PM »
My '68 Super Mag has a grip I like and it's 48# is just right for a 28" draw.  It appears someone looking will just have to give it a try before buying.
Lon Scott

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2015, 01:28:00 PM »
At 28.5" I'd want to try one first. As for a beginners bow  - not buying that!
SWA Spyder

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2015, 01:56:00 PM »
Check with nineworlds9 - Chuck Droessler. He wrote a good review on the Super KMag. He's a long draw guy.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline cdscoot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2015, 05:21:00 PM »
Most responses seem to agree with the local bow shop. Short bows are not good for longer draws. From my experience the grizzly should be for 28 and shorter draws, but I have become accustomed to it stacking. What bow recommendations do people have for 28-29 inch draws that are under 500 bucks ? I have stayed away from vintage bows because of their age and fear of breaking one with big dollars invested.

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2015, 06:16:00 PM »
I draw 28.5"  as well and shoot a a Grizzly, have no issues with it. The other bow I have shot that I like perhaps a bit better is a friends Black Widow. He was ready to sell it to me but I talked him out of it. I know he would have regretted it. (I wanted it too!)
SWA Spyder

Offline Doug_K

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2015, 07:43:00 PM »
I can't help you much with recurves, as my experiences are all with older Bears, but I can tell you that you can't look at the classifieds here without finding a hell of a deal.
60" W&W Black Wolf 55#
64" Bamabows Hunter 52#
60" Bamabows Expedition III 52#
70" Bamabows Hunter 55#
60" A.D.M Earth 63#

Offline jackdaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2015, 08:57:00 PM »
when I got back into traditional archery a number of years ago, I started with a super mag 48...now I draw 28 inches right on the money, but I shot the bow well at 45 pounds...! I don't shoot it a whole lot anymore, but I had no real problems with it...!!! I know a few local guys who hunted a lot in the early to mid seventies and they absolutely love that super mag 48......
John Getz:........... Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like bananas.
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 51#
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 47#
67'1/2  BEAR SUPER K  44#
WILSON BROTHERS BLACK WIDOW 60" 45#
LONGRIVER ELK 62" LONGBOW 53#
1967 WING 62" SLIMLINE 43#

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2015, 03:45:00 AM »
I have had two super mags, one when my primary bow was a Bear takedown and another when my primary was a any one of my heavy Hill style bows. I thought that I wanted something very short for cramps tree wedge set ups. The first one was 65 pounds and it hit a wall just before I reached full draw and the second a 55 pounder and at that time I was so conditioned to a straight grip that I could not help but over heal the little bow. I think they are the slowest per pound bow in the Bear line.

Offline cdscoot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2015, 07:31:00 PM »
I guess I got told short bows are no good for 28 inch draws or over . The 60 inch bows seem to jump in cost for that 2 inches !
I would like a super kodiak but ill just have to wait a while to get one.

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2015, 10:33:00 PM »
http://s1111.photobucket.com/user/njloco/media/IMG_1679-1.jpg.html] [" target="_blank">http://s1111.photobucket.com/user/njloco/media/IMG_1679-1.jpg.html] [

This was shot by me @ 18 yds, after someone questioned the accuracy of a short bow, the first shot is the one that went a little high, I do not usually shoot this bow, it is an original first year made 1966 Bear 48" Mag. I will add to this info that I have a short draw @ 26".
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Online KenH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2015, 09:43:00 AM »
Anyone who is tired of, disgusted with or otherwise wants to get rid of their 48" Super Mag is welcome to  send it to me....
Living Aboard the s/v ManCave

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©