3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Stumping on Public Land  (Read 566 times)

Offline mbugland

• Trad Bowhunter
Stumping on Public Land
« on: March 22, 2015, 01:20:00 PM »
I threw this up in the state forum, but not sure it is getting much traffic lately.
Took the two boys out stump shooting this afternoon at local hunting land, part of that state park, one of the areas that is open for deer with a managed Hunt tag during season, and the rest of the year the parking area is locked.
The 8yr old had a blast, 16yr old had an awesome time for his first time shooting a bow, and stumping has him addicted. They both did awesome.....
We got back to the truck and had a note :
"Just a friendly note.
Carrying a bow during closed season could be considered poaching.
Target shooting on Public Land is Illegal!"

What's deal Maryland? I am seriously lost on this one... I am not from here, I guess my understanding of public land is different where I come from.
Can someone help me out here... What's the rules where you stump shoot?
Greatly appreciate the insight from any that can provide it
Shootz!

Offline Cwilder

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Stumping on Public Land
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 01:22:00 PM »
Yep not legal to target shoot on public lands in Maryland.
I love Bow Hunting

Offline Kopper1013

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 01:25:00 PM »
Not legal in NY either
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

Offline JDunlap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2015, 01:38:00 PM »
It is similar here..depending on the type of public land it is. There needs to be an open season on something that you can hunt with a bow, and then you would need a license also.
Sandy Biles Scorpion TD RC; 54@28
RER XR Static Tip RC; 50@28
JC Optimus riser/Uukha EX1EVO2 [email protected]

Offline Cwilder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2015, 01:43:00 PM »
The best thing you could do is find a state forest land open to hunting and go hunt some groundhogs
I love Bow Hunting

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2015, 01:47:00 PM »
I have always wondered this myself when stumpshooting how do you get a waiver if a officer or someone stops you?i will be watching this one for any input
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Offline Tickbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2015, 01:53:00 PM »
In PA the regs. prohibit target shooting "in a reckless manner".

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2015, 02:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by Kopper1013:
Not legal in NY either
Never had a problem in N.Y. Even talked to a forest ranger one of the last times out. Been doing it for over 40 years. Who told you it was not legal?
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2015, 02:30:00 PM »
Since I live within walking distance to Liberty Reservoir in MD I stump shoot there. However I carry my hunting license, a broadhead or two, my permission slip to hunt there and if stopped I would say I was hunting groundhogs which is perfectly legal.

Check the hunting regs where you are hunting and if groundhogs are legal try my method.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2015, 02:51:00 PM »
Here in Michigan we have to have a valid small game license and ware a piece of orange .
There are some areas that are closed to hunting at some times of the year but they are clearly marked .
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2015, 03:13:00 PM »
Just thinking about this.......the season never closes on red squirrels and wood chucks.....so that is what I'm doing, hunting!! I have a small game tag!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2015, 03:34:00 PM »
Originally posted by ron w:
Just thinking about this.......the season never closes on red squirrels and wood chucks.....so that is what I'm doing, hunting!! I have a small game tag!
X2.  That's my story, too.
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2015, 03:36:00 PM »
Sure glad I live out west     :archer2:
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline GREASEMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2015, 03:43:00 PM »
I stump shoot where it is legal to hunt coyote and groundhogs and carry a broadhead arrow.

Offline bretto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2015, 04:04:00 PM »
Coyote or Rabbit hunting in Kansas. Open yr. round. I always have a hunting license.

bretto

Offline Kopper1013

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2015, 04:13:00 PM »
On the state land up here (rochester) that I've been on, on the brown boards it's printed "target practice is prohibited"  guess I just assumed that applied to all nys state land I retract my previous statement, you just need to know about the land you are on.

Off NYS DEC website:

bb. No person shall possess breakable targets, including but not limited to clay pigeons, on State lands and no person shall target shoot at breakable targets, including but not limited to clay pigeons and glass containers, on State lands. Unless legally engaged in the act of hunting, no person shall discharge firearms on State lands posted or designated as closed to target shooting.
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2015, 04:40:00 PM »
Kopper1013......I would think that archery would not be included in that statement. I think we would be good to go.......   :thumbsup:

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2015, 05:20:00 PM »
Agree with Ron..we stump shoot on State Land all the time and never had any problems. Now Jersey...you can't stump shoot on State Land either.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2015, 05:40:00 PM »
Only legal during open hunting season on public land in Mississippi.

James
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline Wapiti Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2015, 06:21:00 PM »
Sounds like a "grey area" to me stump shooting with my bow is different than shooting trees and bottles with an firearm. Would most likely be up to the officer and if he likes ya or not. Kinda like driving over the posted speed limit    :nono:
" Take a kid bowhunting"
New York Bowhunters BOD
PBS Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©