3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: League bow  (Read 242 times)

Offline Possumjon

• Trad Bowhunter
League bow
« on: March 23, 2015, 08:24:00 AM »
Looking at dropping my bow weight to 35 or 40 pounds for target shooting after work since I'm always sore from heavy lifting. Currently I shoot 45 pounds or 55 for target and hunting. Looking at a recurve from maddog archery, any opinions on the weight I should choose? Thanks guys!

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: League bow
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 08:40:00 AM »
I dont want to start a war about bow weight, but i am a healthy, 23 yr old, former tri-sport athlete and i just cant for the life of me see why anyone feels like they have to shoot heavy bow weight.  I shoot 40#, and with a good arra and sharp broad head i blow through everything i shoot. Granted, we dont have elk or moose, but i can shoot for days and not be sore or tired.

I recently held a bow back on a hog that turned straight on while i was at full draw, for a good 15sec, and proceeded to hammer that 100# hog, which was dead in less than 5sec. The arra never slowed down until it buried in sand on the other side. Now how many can hold a #60+ bow that long and still retain accuracy?

My advice is this: Do yourself a favor, get a 40# bow, (i shoot omegas, same price as maddogs) take the time to get it tuned right, find an arra of good weight i like 500gr+ sharpen the crap out of your broad heads, and hunt and target shoot with it. I promise you wont be disappointed. Just my .02.

P.S. Heres the video on that hog.

------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 08:53:00 AM »
I agree with your decision to shoot a lighter weight bow.  If you think you can handle 40#, there are lots better arrow options than for a 35# bow, and of course are flatter shooting and therefore potentially more accurate.  I use 600 spine arrows for my 40# target bows, such as GT Ultralights, or VAP 600's. Get the GT Ultralights (black) rather than the 1535 trads, as the wood grain finish on the trads adds enough weight to make a noticeable difference in trajectory.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 09:09:00 AM »
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 09:17:00 AM »
I do have a different take on a hunting weight bow as I do hunt elk, and hopefully moose if I get drawn this year. I like to get used to shooting the same bow for everything.

But I took from the original post that he was looking for a bow primarily for target shooting.  For league shooting I shot my old Root Targetmaster recurve.  It was 66" and 38# at 28" if I recall correctly. So I guess I'd  also go with a 40# bow for what he wants to do.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 09:29:00 AM »
Agree with the 40# choice. I would go with a long recurve for target work- something around 64-66" perhaps.
SWA Spyder

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2015, 09:42:00 AM »
The guy I would ask is the bowyer...Mike is a very knowledgable archer and will make as good a recommendation as anyone

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2015, 09:44:00 AM »
Cool video !
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline Possumjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2015, 11:06:00 AM »
This bow would be only for target/ leagues. Been doing really well in them but my first half is always way better than my second, just gets hard to hit anchor after 50 arrows and a 12 hour work day. Thanks for the advice guys, I'll have to talk to him in a few weeks! I was leaning towards his 60 inch recurve as it's similar to my 59 kodiak

Offline newhouse114

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2015, 08:29:00 PM »
Personally I have a real hard time getting a smooth release with a low poundage bow. I have been shooting nothing but my 60 lb Montana for the last year and try to shoot 60-100 arrows a day, weather permiting.  And I am a 57 year old feeble old codger that can't run a mile or lift much due to back and shoulder injuries of the past. But I do hunt elk and can walk forever, just not very fast!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©