3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Cut Fletching at front or back?  (Read 219 times)

Offline Nomis

• Trad Bowhunter
Cut Fletching at front or back?
« on: March 23, 2015, 04:20:00 PM »
I have decided to try fletching my arrows with 4 feathers. I only have 5" feathers on hand and was going to cut them down to 4". Should I cut off the front or the back of the feather?

Offline Greg Dearth

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Cut Fletching at front or back?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 04:38:00 PM »
If I was going to do that I would cut the front .

Offline the rifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 04:38:00 PM »
You could go either way.  If you don't have a burner or chopper and don't wish to reshape them cutting from the front might be easier--you can then blend taper with scissors.  I have seen guys make templates out of cardboard etc. and cut around them, or something fire proof--(tin) and use propane torch to burn them.

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 04:41:00 PM »
I've cut them on both ends,just depends on what I'm looking for.Sometimes I'll cut the back end and leave like a Pope and Young cut.Sometimes I'll cut the front end and then burn the taper down to the shaft if I want to keep the parabolic shape.I usally do this sometimes when I make up some youth arrows.When you trim feathers with scissors I'll use blue painters tape.Put alittle tape on what you want to cut.The tape will hold the feathers in place as you cut and just peels off easily.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©