3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Javelina hunting  (Read 751 times)

Offline Submarinokotbw

• Trad Bowhunter
Javelina hunting
« on: March 25, 2015, 06:43:00 PM »
Hello All,
I hope this thread is not redundant, though it may well be. I am interested in hunting javelina  sometime next winter. I am hoping to get some recommendations from people who have done this kind of hunting through a hunting company. What hunting companies (guided or unguided) have you all had good experiences? I'm not really looking for a public land option, i am looking to pay for a hunt.
Thanks,
Ben
I like a man who grins when he fights--Winston Churchill

Great moral teachers dont introduce new moralities: quacks and cranks do that...--C.S. Lewis

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Javelina hunting
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 06:58:00 PM »
If you really want to make sure that you see javelina and have a shot opportunity, I think it would be impossible to be Fair Chase LTD, in El Indio, TX.  Pretty expensive, though.  I am sure that others will chime in.  Great accomodations.

Offline Submarinokotbw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 10:41:00 AM »
Thanks PDK. Anyone else have ideas?

Great moral teachers dont introduce new moralities: quacks and cranks do that...--C.S. Lewis

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 12:10:00 PM »
What does your user ID stand for.  Just curious.

Offline Submarinokotbw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 12:34:00 PM »
Once upon a time i was a camp counselor at a summer camp in British Columbia. We played an interactive game of the "Clue" board game. Counselors came up with creative characters to get the kids excited and make them laugh. I covered myself with ash and mud, made a tin foil crown and fern "grass skirt," and got a pick axe and became a mole king named "Submarino king of the burrowing world" lost on his way to conquer NYC. The kids loved it and everyone at camp started calling me that. Even today I run into grown up kids i knew at camp that call me "Submarino." Figured no one had that as their user name... it is pretty ridiculous.

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2015, 02:41:00 PM »
LMAO.  Great story.

Offline JPE

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2015, 07:30:00 AM »
I agree with FAIR CHASE.  Rob does a great job. A little pricey but well worth it.

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2015, 07:37:00 AM »
As another option. Look into the Lincoln Ranch. I was just there a couple of weeks ago.The weather was lousy. It rained nearly every day.I did manage to get a javalina and saw 15 total.
Bill

Offline cch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2015, 08:59:00 AM »
Fair Chase runs a great operation. I got a hog and shot 2 javalina. Great food and nice accommodations. He will treat you right. When I went he didn't ask for any money until the hunt was done as he wants you to be satisfied. Also when my friend and I booked Rob set it up with a couple of other trad guys and I now have a great friend. It was a little more expensive but everything was taken care of from pick up from airport to food and open bar.
Chris.

Offline Submarinokotbw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2015, 01:28:00 PM »
Thanks folks, this has been real helpful. I got in touch with these folks and i think i am getting on the right path.

Offline stykshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2015, 07:29:00 PM »
I'll second Lincoln Ranch, bow hunting only

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2015, 02:15:00 PM »
check out;
Mahaska Bows..  A sponsor of T/Gang
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2015, 12:36:00 PM »
I'm watching this thread as well. I'm looking for a hunt for my son, myself, best friend, and brother.

Online Phillip Fields

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2015, 12:45:00 PM »
Best place is South Texas. There is very little public land in Texas, so best bet is a private ranch. They vary greatly in price, running from about $100 per day, up to $300 or $400 per day. The place we hunt is $100 per day with a 2 day minimum. They only run 3 hunts per year, A week or 10 days in Jan,Feb, and Mar. They are trad archers themselves though they do have a lot of compounders hunt with them. The ranch is about 6000 acres and is free range so it's not a gimmee hunt. It is primitive camping though they do have hot showers and flush toilets. Texas offers a 5 day license that will allow you to hunt exotics and javvies for $48.
We hunt javelina during the day and pigs at night. The javvies are a blast to spot and stalk or you can set up an ambush. We corn the senderos and set up in the brush, and when the javvies come out to the road we do a stalk. For the pigs we hunt out of a tripod at night. Some of the spots have lights set up or you can use a bow mounted light (yeah, I have a light mounted on my long bow. Javvies cannot be hunted at night.

My wife and I along with some buddies from down in NC go every year and have been doing so for the last 15 years. Of those 15 years 9 or 10 of them have been with these guys.
Keep em Sharp!

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2015, 12:51:00 PM »
Originally posted by joe ashton:
check out;
Mahaska Bows..  A sponsor of T/Gang
I'm actually going with Kent Ostrem this coming February

Offline meathead

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2015, 01:47:00 PM »
Hey Matt what days are you going to be there?  I am going to be there starting valentines day.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2015, 02:52:00 PM »
I realize the TX corn and backroad thing is effective and a good experience for guys- but a couple of the greatest hunts I ever enjoyed was Javie in AZ 20+ years ago. Mountainous, glassing beautiful country while planning the stalk. It was spot/stalk without the big $$. I understand that Kent Ostrem in TX has this style as well.
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2015, 06:23:00 PM »
I need to go javalina a hunting myself. It's been a while.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Jason Kendall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2015, 08:04:00 PM »
Dang, I just realized it's been 15 years since my last Texas Javie hunt. I really need to get out more  :D

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2015, 01:22:00 AM »
Go hunt with Kent Ostrem. He puts on a good camp, there are tons of javelina there. You can shoot two and he has the best price I've seen anywhere.
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©