3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Getting in MULEY SHAPE  (Read 845 times)

Offline ghall80

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Getting in MULEY SHAPE
« on: March 27, 2015, 09:10:00 AM »
SO I am planning a hunt for next year I have already put in my points in WY and kinda wanted to know what you guys did to get in shape. I am not a GYM guy and dont have the time to make a GYM membership worth the money out here in CT
I am a in the woods walking kinda guy and would even do a a little weight training at the house.

What do you guys do?  I have over a year but I thought I would start now hell it would just be a good thing to do anyway.

Or should I just get one of these  

THANK YOU
GARY HALL
Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway--JOHN WAYNE

Offline huntnmuleys

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Getting in MULEY SHAPE
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 09:26:00 AM »
that suit would certainly work!!

but you don't think its the right fit for you, do some hunting type training right there at home.  running is a good one, so is hiking with a weighted pack.  I do both of these regularly and it really helps in the mountains
is it September yet??

Offline shreffler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 09:30:00 AM »
If you have free weights I would suggest doing some lunges. Walking with a heavy pack will certainly help as well!
"If you're not bowhunting, your spirit is on standby." - Uncle Ted

Offline TSchirm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 09:41:00 AM »
I agree with the above posts, but would include carrying that weighted pack up hills.  progress to the steepest hills you can find after getting in shape. You will find that climbing the hills and mountains is different than walking on the  flat, especially under a load.
Tom - Fish Carver

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2015, 10:17:00 AM »
Hills, hills, and more hills. Then, do some hills.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 10:46:00 AM »

Offline Scott E

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2015, 11:01:00 AM »
Trail running. It's an awesome off season sport. Check out the rail to trails program in CT they do trail races that are a good way to stay motivated.

If you are interested in trail running let me know. In two months I went from not being able to run a 1/4 mile without getting winded to being able to run 5k through the woods.

I used a free app on my phone called couch to 5k that worked really well.
Self reliance cannot be bought

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2015, 11:02:00 AM »
Originally posted by centaur:
Hills, hills, and more hills. Then, do some hills.
X2 ... and with a pack on, also practice shooting with your pack on
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline TealCoin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2015, 11:03:00 AM »
Gary-

With my knowledge of physical fitness I've received from the Air Force as well as my job in the AF: Sports and Fitness, I must say that most of the above I agree with.

I'll give you my .02 about the elevation mask - DO NOT buy that.  Eat right, run, and do a few sets of the 3 core workouts a day and you will suprise yourself how quickly you can get into shape.  Pushups, Pullups, and sit ups.  Yes, it's that simple.  You may not look like Hulk, but if you wanted that, why you'd be on the bodybuilding form asking for advice.  Stamina is what you are after for mountain hunting.  Walk on a treamill that is inclined for a 1/2 hour tv hunting/fishing show.  Load up a pack and do it every other time.  

I can't stress enough how much of a waste the masks, supplements (GNC type BIG name "hulk powders") are.  Get your nutrients from the food you eat.  

Body weight exercises are the best thing you can do for yourself.  There are plenty besides the 3 I mentioned, which should be a standard each and every day.  Check out the 7 minute workouts, which are free in the app store.  HIT - High Intensity Training is the second step in the process.  Get that heart rate up and "HIT" it hard for a few minutes.  Simple things; jumping jacks, lunges, high knees, burpees, etc.  That will do 100% more for your stamina than bench pressing a plate 8-10 reps.  I'd rather be able to push 30lbs for a quarter mile than 150lbs for 30 feet.  

Best of luck to you in the quest to become physically prepared for the hunt.  Keep us posted!

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2015, 11:10:00 AM »
Nutrition is 70% of a good fitness program in my opinion. You can train as much and as hard as you want, but you wont see the results you are looking for without dialing in your "diet"

I have dropped 30# since last hunting season, still have a little ways to go. If I could cut out the useless calories (soda pop, alcohol, milk/sugar in coffee) I would be farther along.

Its warming up and shed hunting season is here so I will stop running inclines @ the gym and focus on hitting the mountains w/a weighted pack. I try to isolate what body part im working each time I go to the gym so I dont get burned out.

Im not a power lifter, but I believe I get the most gains from doing 4 sets of high reps and moderate weight, followed by a drop set. Basically take 40% of the weight off whatever lift I'm doing and do as many reps with GOOD FORM as I can. When form breaks down you need to set it down to avoid injury!
Associate PBS member NRA member DU and Pheasants Forever

Offline Scott E

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2015, 11:11:00 AM »
Running three times a week. Cross training twice a week (squats, lunges, core). And doing day hikes with a loaded back is my game plan.

There aren't too many mountains in CT but we have Bear Mountain which is a good day hike. I'm doing some hikes in the Catskills where at least I can get above 4,000 feet.
Self reliance cannot be bought

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2015, 12:27:00 PM »
Stairs-run or triple take steps for a work out-all winter long.  Take on a 10 story building and tell me you can't see your lungs at the top!!!Pack? yep if you can.  Almost every city has towering buildings, ask the building manager if you can run the back stairs .  When I traveled for the Marine Corps, we use to run the stairs in hotels-especially in strange cities. I run the stairs in a parking garage here. Up one then jog to the next well, then go down , jog to the next well and run up.  this is an interval type run.  warm up and stretch before you do. I live at 5200 feet so the elevatiion will not kick me as badly as flatlanders coming up here.  Gyms stifle me so being outside of an enclosed environment works for me.  Just do it.
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline Jack Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2015, 01:27:00 PM »
X3 Hills, Hills with loaded pack, trail running, and I will add if you like biking, mountain biking. These have kept me in decent to great shape for elk and deer.

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2015, 02:06:00 PM »
In 2015 for me:

January 1st 268# @ 5'11"  Just Too BIG!

Today       244#

I am working at it.  Not as easy at 45 years old to loose weight as in the past!  Free weights for upper strength, Paleo diet as much as possible, and I tried running at the beginning of the year but just too heavy hurt knee.

I am now walking and run-walk.  I have a watch that I set intervals of 1 min 30 seconds run/ 1 minute walk and alternate.  Way quicker recovery and joints feel better than running for long period.  I run/walk as much as possible on trails.  Better on joints and much more enjoyable being in the woods.  

I have a 6 year old girl and once she tires out when we walk, I put her on my shoulders for my strength quad builder...Back to cycling also is in my future
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2015, 02:06:00 PM »
Sorry for the poor advice. I deleted my last post.

Offline TealCoin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2015, 02:24:00 PM »
Matty-

I do not mean to shoot down your opinion of the mask.  They have science "proving" that it simulates less air, thus making the feel of higher altitudes.  It's fool proof that it does infact work for simulation.  One could also put a swimming nose plug on to do the same though.  No reason to beat yourself up to get into shape.  Just seems like torture to me.

Offline ghall80

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2015, 05:12:00 PM »
LOTS go on guys thank you for the advice, dont have a flight of stairs to run up and down and no mountains But I Got Hills Guys and lots of them.

Taking a walk in the morning to see what i am up against

Thank you all
Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway--JOHN WAYNE

Offline newhouse114

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2015, 06:27:00 PM »
Being in shape helps but if you take it easy and don't overdo things you can have a successful hunt without being in peak form. Look at my avitar and you can see what 57 years, a blown out lower back, and excruciating knees can accomplish!

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2015, 06:54:00 PM »
How about carrying my stuff to the top of the mountain at ETAR.  No ski lift.  I will meet you their:)

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2015, 06:57:00 PM »
Trail running and up and down hills with a loaded pack.  Going down steep hills with a load can be brutal if your boots don't fit.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©