3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting with pets?  (Read 563 times)

Offline Stixbowdrew

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Hunting with pets?
« on: March 28, 2015, 01:13:00 PM »
I was thinking about taking my chocolate lab (1yr old) with me in the turkey blind for not other reason other than he is my buddy. Anyone else do this?
All we have to decide is what to do with the time given to us.

www.selwayarcheryproducts.com

Offline kleine

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunting with pets?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 01:43:00 PM »
Check regulations some states it's illegal in the spring seasons otherwise go for it. My 1 yr lab old loves to practice shoot out of the blind with me!
Striker Fastback 58" 50#@28"
Bear T/D - A 56" 47#@28"
Holm-Made Shrike 64" 49#@28”
Holm-Made River Runner Static 58” 48#@28”
BW PL III 47#@28" 64"
BW PCH CARBON 45#@28" 58"

Offline Joeabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 02:00:00 PM »
Go for it if you can.  I spend as much time in the field as I can with my chocolate lab.

Offline Scott E

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 05:02:00 PM »
You are not alone my Brit is my best bud and he spends a lot of time in the ground blind with me. Using dogs for hunting is illegal is a lot of states but hunting with your dog is kind of a gray area. Kind of like letter of the law versus spirit of the law.
Self reliance cannot be bought

Online stevem

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2015, 07:19:00 PM »
One and done.  I had a Golden Retriever that was my best buddy.  Was walking around during turkey season enjoying the woods, looking for elk sheds, and perhaps might see a turkey. I saw a turkey up ahead, and told him to sit.  I wasn't that close to the turkey I was after, but soon saw another one much closer- within shooting range.  He needed to move a foot or two to clear some brush.  As I started to draw, I saw a golden flash.  The turkey flew off with Rex in pursuit.  Rex said "heck, you weren't shooting, so someone had to try to get him.'
"What was big was not the fish, but the chance.  What was full was not the creel, but the memory" - Aldo Leopold   "Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement"- Will Rogers

Offline Firstlight

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2015, 07:38:00 PM »
If it will work great.  My dog will sit and stay  but being she's 3/4 coon hound so she makes little squeals of excitement when she see's critters, deer, etc.

If she would only hush on command and stay that way.

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2015, 07:56:00 PM »
mt teckel will be with me on all my hunts this year., which will all be walk and stalk, ground blinds, and maybe the odd low tree stand.

this is so that i can make a follow up track if i need to, without having to go home to fetch him.
legal in bc.   :)
x10 what everyone says above- i have trained quite a few working stock dogs, and one of the keys is that the more time you spend with them, the better they get- even if it is not always directly training related.

Offline Stixbowdrew

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2015, 08:18:00 PM »
Jake my lab, is with me all the time. My wife laughs because he has such bad separation anxiety when I'm gone. The only thing he's ever chewed have been two of MY things

Offline tradarcher816

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2015, 09:04:00 PM »
I've been giving this some thought too, I've got an old shepherd that is my buddy. No hunting dog by any means but hes my buddy.
Love God, Love your neighbor.

Offline Jake Scott

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2015, 09:17:00 PM »
That's super cool guys. My blossom goes scouting and shed hunting with me, but she doesn't mind anywhere near good enough to go on an actual hunt.

Jake
FORM FORM FORM FORM

TGMM family of the bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member

Offline Stixbowdrew

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2015, 09:31:00 PM »
Here's my buddy out shooting with me this morning

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2015, 09:40:00 PM »
Always got my lab with me - ground pound anyhow. A lot of times in the yak - good to have company out there that don't talk.
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2015, 10:23:00 PM »
Todd Thayn (Justahunter) has a chocolate lab (Gauge) that obeys hand commands flawlessly. I was fortunate and elk hunted with the two of them a couple years ago. He was a pleasure. When Todd gave a command to stay Gauge would not move, we would go and leave him for 30-40 minutes and one whistle from Todd would bring him to us immediately. I was even more impressed when he jumped between me and a charging bear! Great hunting partners!
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline Possumjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2015, 10:59:00 PM »
Originally posted by Stixbowdrew:
Jake my lab, is with me all the time. My wife laughs because he has such bad separation anxiety when I'm gone. The only thing he's ever chewed have been two of MY things
Have you talked to any dnr's while doing this? I'd definitely love to take my mtn cur with me!

Offline Scott E

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2015, 11:42:00 PM »
Great to see so many guys enjoying the woods with their best friends! Thought I was the only crazy one.

Great thread    :thumbsup:
Self reliance cannot be bought

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2015, 12:06:00 AM »
Lupe stays with me whenever it's either legal or we think we can get away with it.  Fortunately, my club has a lenient policy toward dogs, so most mornings you'll find three old codgers out there flinging arrows with two dogs. Indispensable when it comes to rabbit hunting.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Jakeemt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2015, 08:03:00 AM »
Guinness my mutt and best buddie goes out squirrel hunting with me several times a year. He is more or less useless but, I do love his company. He is also a wonderful fishing and hiking companion.   [/url] [/IMG]

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2015, 08:39:00 AM »
i would LOVE to i have 3 Newfoundlands who love to be outside with me almost as much as they love to chase ANY critter that scampers by! Wlater ( 3 year old male ) has caught 3 turkeys, dozens of rabbits, mice, squrriels and God knows what else! all 3 are on a raw food diet and i am always feeding them fresh fish, vension, veggis and so on so when they catch their own i can't say much.
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline Stixbowdrew

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2015, 09:38:00 AM »
That is awesome, you're a regular ol merriewether Lewis with those newfies!

I feed Jake an all protein diet, would like to get him on the all raw diet. How are their coats?

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2015, 10:30:00 AM »
I took our Westie on a squirrel hunt once. He made so much noise with his nose rooting under leaves I never took him again.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©