3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Natural turkey blinds  (Read 239 times)

Offline Vesty

• Trad Bowhunter
Natural turkey blinds
« on: March 28, 2015, 02:35:00 PM »
I want to hunt turkey using only natural brush and downed trees. How much concealment is necessary? Any suggestions appreciated. Pictures would help as well.

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Natural turkey blinds
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 03:04:00 PM »
I am certainly no expert, and have used a small collapsible blind for most of my bow hunts.  I did have two hunts I didn't take the blind.  Both times I was able to get shots at birds.  Wearing a leafyflauge jacket I had no major front concealment and just tucked into brush or in front of a bush.  Good decoy was the key.  Both birds were so focused on the decoy they did not notice me at all.  Two birds is certainly not enough to make this a guaranteed technique.  But I was amazed with what I could get away with if I stayed still until I drew.

View from the decoy stake

This is the other spot.  There was a little hollow in front of the bush.  with the clipped branches only my waist up was visible.  But there was notheing but me in front of the bush.

The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline Msbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 03:08:00 PM »
How much concealment depends on how much moving you plan on doing. If you don't move and draw when the turkey can't see you, no need for a blind. For me, I have to have all the concealment I can get.
"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted"-Jose Ortega y Gasset

Offline Robert Armstrong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 03:19:00 PM »
Not alot! I usually  set with my back against a tree cut 5 to 6 ceader branches and stick them upright in the ground in front of me. Just cut them at an angel and stab them in the ground. Works better than you may think.

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2015, 06:09:00 PM »
I usually try to set up between three or four cedar shrub sized tree. I tie them together with parachute cord to make them work better. If I have an open side I use a Bush In A Bag to help.

Offline turkey65

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2015, 06:10:00 AM »
My limited experience was a bow hunt in South Dakota,The ranch I was hunting had a good population of birds,listening to the rancher about the travel routes the birds took I made a make shift blind with cedar limbs stuck in the ground in a semi circle about three feet high, placed a hen decoy out front about ten yds,sitting flat on the ground made very few calls,when the birds came up over the knoll they spotted the decoy and came right in,had a beautiful side shot at twelve yds,successful because I remained dead still till the shot moment.It can be done,just need patience.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©