3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: request for Mountain boots reviews  (Read 802 times)

Offline Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
request for Mountain boots reviews
« on: March 28, 2015, 08:13:00 PM »
after doing an extensive review of mountain boot with know good idea.  I posting this in the site with the most informed readers and users.  I know boots are very personal, but I would like to here what everyone has to say.  When buying good mountain boots prices can get big.  so I want to make sure I have looked at all options.

I'm looking for a light weight, med stiff, mid height top, full / 3/4 rand boot.

Mountain Boots
 http://www.lowaboots.com/catalog/tibet-gtx-hi/2108965599/2

http://kayland.com/products/it/018015040/

http://www.crispiusa.com/gran-paradiso-gtx-abss-dtl.html

http://www.sportiva.com/products/footwear/climbingapproach

www.salewa.com

http://www.meindl.de/english/

www.kenetrek.com

www.hanwagboots.ca/
Life is about learning from your mistakes!

Chek-mate hunter I 62" riser with 60" limbs 49&42lbs@28

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Big Jim Mountain Monarch Recurve  60 inch / 50 lbs @ 28

Offline Jake Scott

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: request for Mountain boots reviews
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 08:18:00 PM »
I didn't read all the reviews, but in my opinion a fair mountaineering boot review should include Scarpa and Zamberlain.  Not only do I wear these boots afield, I make my living in them as well.  My two favorites, but as you mentioned boots are very personal and the two I have mentioned are at the upper end of the price scale.  Fantastic boots.

Jake
FORM FORM FORM FORM

TGMM family of the bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 09:19:00 PM »
Not familiar with all of those you list.  I've had good luck with Danners and Vasques, but my favorite and what I wear now is Kennetrek. The best fit I've found for my feet, and very good support.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 09:22:00 PM »
I had great experience with Meindl.
The Perfekt hunters are probably the best leather boot I have ever worn. I still experiment with different brands, but have not found a better boot yet.
Like you said, very personal. Everybody has quite different foot needs.
David M. Conroy

Offline Stixbowdrew

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2015, 09:39:00 PM »
Not on your list, but look into the Asolo Powermatic. Solid boot and great price. Also look into the Lowa Mountain Expert
All we have to decide is what to do with the time given to us.

www.selwayarcheryproducts.com

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2015, 10:07:00 PM »
I have had excellent service from my Meindl Perfekt Hikers, and that is from a guy with poor arches. I have used mine on four trips for elk hunting in Colorado. My experience has been very wet climate during the first week or two in September and these boots have kept my feet dry.   I could wear them from day one without any break-in sore points.  I would definitely buy these again.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2015, 10:28:00 PM »
I should note these will be my Rocky Mountain Goat boots, so heavy pack weights and steep country.

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2015, 10:46:00 PM »
I have had good luck with Lowa, Vasque and Asolo. Try before you buy.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2015, 11:21:00 PM »
http://www.lowaboots.com/catalog/cevedale-gtx/2100504545/12

These are new from Lowa anyone had a chance to try yet.

Love my Vasques (also), but basically do not stand up to the weight of the loads and side hilling of the terrain.

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Offline Scott E

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2015, 11:38:00 PM »
Salomon boots

http://www.salomon.com/us/range/hiking-footwear.html  

They were recommended to me by a Navy SEAL. Take that for what it's worth, he swore by them and after a year with my Salomon boots and shoes I swear by them too.
Self reliance cannot be bought

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2015, 11:47:00 PM »
Unless you're sure you have the same foot they used to design their last, you really need to worry more about fit than anything else.  I suffered through years of foot agony before I found that Keen boots fit my feet.  Keen is sort of marginal as far as mountain boots are concerned, but they just came out with the Liberty Ridge, which is an all leather boot which I would consider wearing in rough mountain terrain.  They used to have another one a number of years ago, but quit making it.

Of course, this information does you no good unless you have the same kind of foot they designed the Keen boot for.  If you do, it could be priceless.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Online Daz

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2015, 12:16:00 AM »
Salewa Raven Combi GTX's. Perfect fit from the moment i put them on, and not a problem since.

More boot than most guys need unless they are grinding it out for goats or sheep, or for rugged elk/mule deer country.

I spent A LOT of time trying on boots until i found what works for me.
Less anger, more troubleshooting...

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2015, 01:23:00 AM »
I wear nothing but Kaylands now, but they are no longer distributed in the US. They were a game changer when I found them primarily due to fit, they are for a narrower foot! You can still find them on an internet search, I just bought a pair of their low cut shoes last week off the big auction site. If you have a narrow/low volume foot, I would highly recommend their Zephyr model, it's fairly water proof but can get soaked by wicking in over the top I believe but they breathe so good you can feel a draft, I actually had to get wool socks to wear with them. They were a game changer for me, went from feeling rubber legged at the end of the day because my feet were swimming in my too wide Danners to feeling like I could go back up the mountain again at the end of the day, I now have five separate pairs of them including two pairs of shoes, and a back up pair for the Zephyrs! If you have a narrow foot they run the same length as Danners. If you don't have a narrow foot, they aren't for you!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2015, 06:11:00 AM »
Originally posted by MnFn:
I have had excellent service from my Meindl Perfekt Hikers, and that is from a guy with poor arches. I have used mine on four trips for elk hunting in Colorado. My experience has been very wet climate during the first week or two in September and these boots have kept my feet dry.   I could wear them from day one without any break-in sore points.  I would definitely buy these again.
X2 for me.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Dave Pagel

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2015, 08:41:00 AM »
I wore Danners for years while I lived out west and they treated me fine.  

I picked up a pair of Meindls for a couple of big hunts in the NWT and BC.  They were outstanding , but I couldn't find my style anymore once I wore them out.

I am now wearing Crispis for mountain hunts and have found them to be great boots and probably more consistent fit wise from style to style than any boot company I have tried. I really like them.

I recently found a great deal on some Kenetrek Hardscrabble Hikers and am wearing them for everyday work around my property.  So far I am impressed with them as well.

D.P.

Offline Broken Arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2015, 09:17:00 AM »
Zamberlan! I am going on a high country buck hunt this year and this is what I will be using. They are one of the best boots out there. Look at Kuiu
they had a boot developed just for them for high country hunting and they are Zamberlan. but bring some money they are costly. I had purchased my Zamberlan boot before I new Kuiu had them or I would have purchased from them.

Dave
Take the long way around.
Dwyer Endeavor 58" 64@29"
Super Shrew 58" 60@28"
Thunder Child 58" 60@28"
Toelke Pika 56" 60@29"

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2015, 09:27:00 AM »
How many guys own good mountain boots? That's the number of different feet and different opinions you can find. One guy's all-time best boot is little more than wasted money to another. After a lot of years spent in boots...and if I was looking at boots for a goat hunt...here's what I would probably do:

Narrow things down to a select number of boots.

Locate those selected boots in my size.

Order all those boots at one time and compare them.

Narrow it down further to a couple pairs and really evaluate their qualities.

Pick your best pair and send the others back with a nice thank-you note.

Finally: get those new boots totally and completely broken in. Get your feet broken in to the boots. Boots and feet are a combo deal and both must adjust to the other. I learned the hard way about being SURE my boots and feet are ready. Never take a boot into a setting without trying it out in a similar setting.

I've owned many boots. I'm currently prepping a pair of Zamberlan Vioz 1024 boots for Alaska and some western mountain hunting. I think the quality is superb, so could easily recommend the brand.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2015, 09:45:00 AM »
Originally posted by Kevin Dill:
How many guys own good mountain boots? That's the number of different feet and different opinions you can find. One guy's all-time best boot is little more than wasted money to another. After a lot of years spent in boots...and if I was looking at boots for a goat hunt...here's what I would probably do:

Narrow things down to a select number of boots.

Locate those selected boots in my size.

Order all those boots at one time and compare them.

Narrow it down further to a couple pairs and really evaluate their qualities.

Pick your best pair and send the others back with a nice thank-you note.

Finally: get those new boots totally and completely broken in. Get your feet broken in to the boots. Boots and feet are a combo deal and both must adjust to the other. I learned the hard way about being SURE my boots and feet are ready. Never take a boot into a setting without trying it out in a similar setting.

I've owned many boots. I'm currently prepping a pair of Zamberlan Vioz 1024 boots for Alaska and some western mountain hunting. I think the quality is superb, so could easily recommend the brand.
Well said.
I have to add, before I mentioned I liked the Meindl.
At the time I was an active industrial electrician constantly working in and out of trenches, carrying 4", 10' lengths of RIGID conduit (heavy) on my shoulders, constantly going up and down ladders, etc.
In other words...beat my feet senseless.
My feet were killing me, and I had bought the Meindls for my Colorado elk hunt.
I started wearing them at work every day.
My feet actually healed. The quality of the fit was so much better than my standard work boots that my foot troubles went away. By the time my hunt came along, the boots were beautifully broken in.
So I had a really good chance to try them out and beat them.

I cannot wear them any longer due to mandatory composite toe in our footwear.
But at least at the time I knew my mountain boots were just what I needed.
David M. Conroy

Online Daz

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2015, 09:47:00 AM »
When buying mountaineering boots (which is what it sounds like you are looking for) access to a ledge and incline board are important.

Full shank rigid/crampon compatibles need to be perfect in fit, as they will not flex to "break in".

This is where buying online and trying to sort out what a boot can do can be tough. A knowledgeable store that deals in mountaineering boots will have a rock incline and ledge set up so you can spend a half hour in them and see if they will really work.

I know. Not a lot of stores like that in SK, but maybe an excuse to roll out west for a preseason scouting trip/boot buy expedition?
Less anger, more troubleshooting...

Offline md126

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2015, 09:48:00 AM »
What Kevin Dill said x2

I did the same thing and ended up with Asolo Powermatics. I wore them everyday on an 8 day elk hunt and they were awesome. One of my best equipment purchases. Still wear them a lot and still awesome

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©