3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: request for Mountain boots reviews  (Read 801 times)

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: request for Mountain boots reviews
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2015, 10:03:00 AM »
I'm also planning to buy the first pair of expensive boots after all these years. I've been buying various box store brands in the $150 range. I usually get 1-2 years out of them.

I'll admit to date I haven't put much stress on a boot because I usually am just walking a mile or less and then climbing a tree. I have had some nice blisters on a couple of elk hunts because of the low priority I've placed on boots.

I've been studying the Cabela Meindl.

I like this thread!

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2015, 10:17:00 AM »
Originally posted by McDave:
Unless you're sure you have the same foot they used to design their last, you really need to worry more about fit than anything else.  I suffered through years of foot agony before I found that Keen boots fit my feet.  Keen is sort of marginal as far as mountain boots are concerned, but they just came out with the Liberty Ridge, which is an all leather boot which I would consider wearing in rough mountain terrain.  They used to have another one a number of years ago, but quit making it.

Of course, this information does you no good unless you have the same kind of foot they designed the Keen boot for.  If you do, it could be priceless.
I second this post... i have tried a lot of different hiking boots with various results. Keeping my feet dry in wet weather has always been a big part of it too......  I have been wearing Keen boots for the last few years with great comfort and durability. I wear them year round for day to day work & have my hunting boots set aside so i don't trash them out so quickly....

Offline Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2015, 10:36:00 AM »
Thanks everyone,

I have done 9 goat hunts, and worn out 6 pairs of boots (vasques) also I have a pair of koflachs, to stiff, noisy.  

looking/upgrade to a pair of boots for just mountain hunting. I will never buy boots over the internet, I have wide and high feet, just need that in store experience.  I do my research this way in many ways and this is one. when your looking at $400 to $800 Canadian for good mountain boots, you want to weight your options and explore all choices and opinions.
Life is about learning from your mistakes!

Chek-mate hunter I 62" riser with 60" limbs 49&42lbs@28

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Big Jim Mountain Monarch Recurve  60 inch / 50 lbs @ 28

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2015, 10:59:00 AM »
Ok, one other option if you can do it, take a weekend trip to Denver and go to the rei. They are experts at boots like you want!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline Stixbowdrew

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2015, 12:04:00 PM »
All we have to decide is what to do with the time given to us.

www.selwayarcheryproducts.com

Online Bigriver

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2015, 12:14:00 PM »
Most of the responders have tried more boots and have more experience than I do. Ill give my 2 cents anyway.

I have elk hunted CO last 10 years. I have terrible boney feet, bad super high arch and narrow to boot. They blister almost instantly with most boots. I am a real tenderfoot flatlander. It is my weak link for western hunting.

I have tried Danners, vasque, and even bought a custom pair of Russell sheep hunters. My feet were hamburger after a short time with them. I know how to break in boots, none of them worked.

I bought the Meindl Perfect hunters. So far the last 3 trips, no blistered feet. I have also switched to llama wool socks, seem to be a little more slide in the heel, seems to prevent blisters for me. The boots have good support, big enough toe box, and pretty good waterproof after treatment. Not bad for a couple hundred bucks.

An aside, I have bought 2 pairs of Keens for work, I like the wider toe box. They are really nice so far.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Quickblood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2015, 01:24:00 PM »
Lowa

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2015, 03:49:00 PM »
I got myself some salomons back in December and they are doing incredible.
 http://www.rei.com/product/881783/salomon-quest-4d-ii-gtx-hiking-boots-mens

Offline meathead

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2015, 04:07:00 PM »
I am with you on that boot Matty.  I have been breaking in a pair for a month or so now.  I really like them.

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2015, 04:43:00 PM »
I had a pair of substantial leather hikers (though not a full mountaineering boot) that were Lowa's- they were extremely comfortable and well made. Currently wear Keen's in that category. In fact, all my footwear is currently Keen's. Obviously, I think highly of them, and the fit is superb.
I have the good fortune of being able to try on a whole lot of boots, as I'm always not far from some very good outdoor sport shops. And I'm extremely particular about the right fit and construction. My feet sound like Bigriver's, and the above boots work great, though they're widely liked by folks with wide feet as well.
Fit and feel matter immensely, as said. Trying on as many as possible, till you are sure of the fit, necessary, even if it means ordering 'em to try 'em.
The incline board tip is a simple and effective way to check for potential heel blisters. I also get a feel for how good the friction is of the sole - think wet rock, logs, etc.

Offline Homebru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2015, 08:45:00 PM »
Originally posted by Matty:
Despite the fact that Matty and I have stumbled onto the same boot and have similar experience with it, YMMV.
homebru

Offline Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2015, 09:00:00 PM »
Originally posted by Matty:
I wore these out within several month of buying, just as my every day boots, fabric ripped behind the toe rand and the sole got a tear.

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Offline halfseminole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2015, 09:41:00 PM »
For all my climbing, when I'm still able to do it, I wear crepe sole mukluks for winter, and leather sole moccasins for summer.  The ability to bend my foot over obstacles is the single greatest thing I find in trying to climb.  Haven't had anything able to go through the shoes, partly because I can feel it there before I put my full weight on it.

Rigid boots just hurt my feet.  Badly.  I also can't use them to suss out if a foothold is steady or not.  With these, just a little pressure will tell my foot if it will hold.

I don't have the Rockies, but the Appalachians were no issue in shoes like this.  My "nobody knows about it" fishing spot is a near vertical climb.  Explains why I haven't been out to it in a while.

As with everything, your mileage may vary.  Our ancestors didn't have all these "support" shoes, and they made the climbs just fine.  It works for me.

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2015, 06:29:00 AM »
For my 27 years experience of CO,WY,MT,ID,NM elk hunting Russell boots proved to be enough if you don't face wet snow and few days of rain.
But if you are looking for a very thought boot to hunt above timberline such as a goat or sheep hunt you really need more support,both lateral and inclined, here were Italian bootmakers excell,not to steer the pot!. The Alps are much more steep and rigged than the average Rockies and chamois hunting is very demanding with lot of dangers for the hunter,that must be preparedalmost as a climber. 200 hundreds years of experiences and dedications have taken many companies to perfection. Tre Zeta,Zamberlan,Crispi,La Scarpa,La Sportiva,just to name a few have models that suit the avid and dedicated hunter.a good pair of boots in the Alps is like a good life insurance.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2015, 07:49:00 AM »
I got a pair of the Hanwags, I thought they might be a little to stiff when not carrying a pack but I was wrong, very, very happy with them, they performed flawlessly on my Idaho elk hunting trip, never had any problem s at all ! They only cost me $150 bucks brand new !!
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline Russ Clagett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2015, 08:25:00 PM »
the current issue mountain boot for the Stan is made by Belleville...I think they call it the 950...it's way less expensive and a good boot.

Offline bucknut

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2015, 08:32:00 PM »
I've tried Danner, Multiple types of Meindls, Lowas, Asolos and Kenetreks. The Meinde Denali is all things considered head and shoulders above the rest in my opinion. They have held up great  on all of my mountain trips and are my daily go to boot hunting around home.  I still wear a pair I bought 10 years ago. Extremely comfy and the most waterproof boots I have owned.
Whom virtue unites death cannot separate.

Offline Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2015, 05:03:00 PM »
Are Meindl's are good now that Cabela's owns?

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2015, 09:01:00 PM »
McDave hit the nail on the head.  Wear boots that fit your feet.  I like kennetrek mountain extreme, but they might not fit your foot.

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2015, 12:48:00 PM »
The Meindl "Perfect Hunters" I bought from Cabela's this past season met my expectations for comfort and fit. I look forward to many years of service. With that said the Mendl "Danali" is a heavier boot made for serious mountain hunting. I'd advise trying them on before buying. I believe they run a little small. Good luck and be safe.   :campfire:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©