3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The good and the bad, another Schafer hog story  (Read 424 times)

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
The good and the bad, another Schafer hog story
« on: March 30, 2015, 12:44:00 AM »
First the good:
 I got to try out a new setup today and hunted the hogs under the moonlight.  My neighbor was driving his ATV around and fired off a couple of shots right at dusk.  I thought this might be a problem for me, because shortly afterward, a group off hogs ran off into the drainage that I was hunting, but further to the south than I was expecting.  Not good with a north wind.  The kept on trucking, so I hoping that they didn't wind me and would circle around, I hunt tight.  Maybe 45 minutes later, a nice boar came instead.  I fed him the business end of a VPA instead of corn.  He took off, and I could see the blue nock clearly as he ran off.  He had a limp, and I think he only went no more than 60 yards when I heard a crash, and I couldn't see the nock anyore.  I figured he was laying on it, but I wanted to give him some time.  I didn't relish walking up to him if he wasn't expired.  I gave him more time than I planned, because I had to wait for a sounder of little ones to clear out (didn't want a confusing blood trail), then walked back home for the truck and a better flashlight than my cellphone.  It didn't take me long to find him, and he was roughly where I thought that he would be.  He was quartering away, and autopsy showed that I went part of the way through the heart and broke the offside leg.  Pretty nice boar.  Didn't weight him, but I would guess a touch over 200#.  Thicker than he looks, and I was glad to be able to drive the truck down to get him.  Always fun getting them into the bed.

Mud on the VPA is only from where I stuck it in the ground while I was field dressing the hog.

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: The good and the bad, another Schafer hog story
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 12:59:00 AM »
Now for the bad:

On March 5th, I was hunting this large boar that I had seen on multiple occasions.  I knew he was bigger than the 263# boar that I shot earlier this year.  I knew that I hit him too far back as soon as I shot, but was hoping that he was quartering more than I thought and that I would get lucky.  I got that arrow and it had sparse blood on it, but didn't smell bad.  I didn't have much of a blood trail, and it was cold out, so I decided to pull out until the next morning.  When I returned, I tracked him for around 120 yards on my hands and knees until the trail disappeared going east.  I spent most of that day doing a grid search, and kept coming back the next few days looking for vultures, but with no luck.  

Yesterday, I was up working on a feeder when I caught the smell of death.    I stopped working, and followed my nose and came upon the carcass of the that big hog.  He must have only been there for less than a week, because I go by where he was laying pretty regularly.  Amazing that he made it that long, and still returned to the same area where he was shot.  He was probably only 70 yards from where I shot him, but in a completely different direction from the path that he had taken.  Here are some pics.  He looks smaller because his guts are gone and he is a little dessicated with the heat and all.  He probably would have gone 275-300# on the hoof.

I know that they are destructive, and have to die, but I hate that I made a bad shot and the hog had to suffer for so long.  Getting a heart shot on the boar tonight doesn't really make up for it.

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 02:03:00 AM »
Too bad for the big one ,but it happens when hunting,I have lost some myself like most gunners even with the dogs.
Congrats for the last one Pat.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline KyStickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 05:59:00 AM »
Congrats again brother!
Aim small...Miss small!!

Offline Robert Armstrong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 06:12:00 AM »
Man you rack up the hogs. Good shoting. Looks like Easter ham for another Okie.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 06:31:00 AM »
Another nice on buddy. Sorry bout the big one.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2015, 06:40:00 AM »
Congrats Pat.  Bummer about the big one but you at least have closure.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2015, 07:32:00 AM »
Congrats on the good shot, sorry about the other, but sometimes it just happens.

That big one had some cutters too!

Bisch

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2015, 12:25:00 PM »
I'd probably keep the skull from the second as a memorial and reminder. If one hunts long enough a lost animal will happen to most.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2015, 12:56:00 PM »
I am gonna let the bugs clean the skull and chuck it on a pile with antler sheds that I have found on the property.  A shame is all.

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2015, 03:09:00 PM »
:clapper:    :clapper:    :archer2:

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2015, 06:51:00 PM »
Awesome pat your on a roll down there and seems you might need some help...lol!!  :biglaugh:
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2015, 07:16:00 PM »
KAP!!! It is always better to have meat though.  Keep doing your part at hog eradication.  It is amazing how tough those big ones can be.
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline maxwell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2015, 07:39:00 PM »
Your heart is in the right place Pat, it happens and as long as it is never ok you get to learn and hopefully not repeat.  Love how you are acclimating to the Schafer.

Offline Wiley Coyote

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2015, 04:52:00 PM »
That was for sure a big hog.........nasty looking teeth!! Bad break but you have closure......better luck next time.   :thumbsup:
Great Northern Bushbow
Super Shrew Delux
Talon Longbow
Chekmate Hunter Recurve

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©