3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How heavy is to heavy  (Read 319 times)

Offline Possumjon

• Trad Bowhunter
How heavy is to heavy
« on: March 30, 2015, 08:41:00 PM »
How heavy is to heavy when it comes to arrow weight? I'm shooting about 43 pounds right now and am wanting to try new set ups, I was thinking around 500 grains would be good but was curious as to what would be to heavy. Thanks guys!

Offline heartlandbowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How heavy is to heavy
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 10:04:00 PM »
I think you'll find most guys on here will average 10-12 GPP so your right in that range just a bit over 11. A buddy of mine shot 2 whitetail this year with pretty close stats to what your shooting and had complete pass through on both animals. Well tuned arrows and sharp broadheads are what gets her done, assuming we put the arrow where we are supposed to.

Cory

Offline mooseman1967

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 10:55:00 PM »
Hey Jon, I'm the buddy Cory was talking about. Don't know what your draw length is but our setup couldn't come out much closer with my draw being a tad over 28". I was shooting a GT3555 29.75 inches long with a 175 grain Simmons on the front coming out at 502 grains. According to my chrono I was averaging 167 fps witch I was very happy with shooting an arrow 11.5 ggp. I played around with heavier arrows but just didn't want that much drop after 20 yds. Like Cory said complete pass through on both deer one at 16 yds and one at 18. I didn't hit any major bone on either animal except ribs and the 18 yd adult doe cut close rib and shattered far rib on its way through. I do try my best to tune the arrow for as straight of flight as possible. Dave

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 12:01:00 AM »
I dont shoot much over 20 yards when hunting.

I shoot 10 to 12 grains per pound out of what I consider high performance bows.I dont notice much difference in trajectory at that range and my arrows fly pretty flat.I shoot CX Heritage 150s and 250s.I use points from 125 to 175 gr. and both aluminum and brass inserts in 50 and 100 grains.

I like how the bow feels and the quietness of the shot with heavier arrows.

It might be more important to shoot a bit lighter arrow if you take longer hunting shots with less vertical drop.Or for 3-
D shooting.

I dont worry about that as I dont plan on shooting much over 20 yards and I like my setup and I like the penetation I get with arrows over 500 grains.Especially if bone is contacted on the shot.I am confident in my arrow choice and the results have been excellant.I see no reason to change

When I shot heavier bows of around 65 to 70 pounds I used heavy arrows.2020s and 2219s.I also shot woodies spined 75-80 pounds or 80-85 with good weight.

I shoot around 45 to 50 pounds at 29 to 30 inches draw these days.

Offline Possumjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 04:33:00 AM »
Thanks guys, just realized this was a double post, the carbon expresses are actually what I'm looking at, currently shoot gold tip traditional but after I tuned them there only 400 grains and they shoot great but definitely want a heavier arrow for hunting!

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 05:58:00 AM »
Carbon Express Eritage are the perfect hunting arrow giving the right weight,tough on impact and very accurate in spine.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 06:18:00 AM »
I am glad to see this post. I have a 43# Osage self bow (less at my 25" draw). It seems very slow, but it has not been checked with a chronograph. I actually got it to use in the 3D primitive class but have thought that if "powerful enough", it would be fun to hunt, possibly with stone points. What say you guys who are light bow experts? I admit I have always been a proponent of heavier bows.
Sam

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©