3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: You just can't give them away!  (Read 5462 times)

Offline ed cowden

• Trad Bowhunter
You just can't give them away!
« on: March 31, 2015, 10:23:00 AM »
I and a couple of friend's have had bows in the want ads for more than a week and barely get any response or interest. And for bows shipped at lower than half price with no waiting.
It is very disappointing that trading and selling is going so poorly. I hope all our bowyers and having better success at moving product. Maybe everyone is going fishing now that it is spring.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: You just can't give them away!
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 10:26:00 AM »
Yep, it is a lot different than in 2010-2012. Bows moved quickly and usually one had to only lose 10-20% Now if you can't give em up for 30-50% they aren't moving.

Of course there are a few exceptions such as Tips and Blacktails and a couple that NEVER come up for sale.

I have two bows on order. Both these bows will be done in about half the time (6-7 months) as when I ordered bows from them 3-4 years ago.  One of them though has added staff (Blacktail).

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 10:44:00 AM »
Yep, definitely a buyers market these days.  Only way they will move is if you practically give them away, and a lot of folks would rather hang on to the bow than do that.  So, sometimes the great deal doesn't happen.   Seems to go in cycles,  maybe down the road things will pick up.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 11:28:00 AM »
Since my wife retired we are more or less on a fixed income which cuts into my buying/selling. I also believe the media confuses the average person. One day everything is wonderful, next day our economy is in the tank. Lots of uncertainty.

Offline Paul/KS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 11:29:00 AM »
Some people are waiting on tax returns.
Plus since it's the paid members only to buy and sell maybe they have enough stuff now ?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 11:32:00 AM »
This was a major force in me learning to build my own. I couldn't have enough bows and buying and selling got old fast. Now I get a hankering and go build one to suit.

My name is Chris and Im an addict......there, I said it!

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 11:36:00 AM »
many folks will not pay the fee to browse.  Fewer browsers=fewer buyers.  business degrees  confirm that obvious fact.
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2015, 11:36:00 AM »
I've noticed that selling slows down a little this time of year.  Maybe (hopefully) everybody's saving for the St. Jude auction?    :clapper:
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2015, 11:44:00 AM »
I decided not to be a paid contributor this year.  I'm not living very high on the hog, and that $30 is something I should use elsewhere.  I'm probably not the only one.  

It would be nice if it was a one-time fee instead of annually.  It definitely impacts my browsing, and if I ain't browsin', I ain't buyin'.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2015, 11:50:00 AM »
On the bright side, they are "easy keepers" as they don't eat much...lol

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2015, 11:57:00 AM »
Originally posted by ed cowden:
I and a couple of friend's have had bows in the want ads for more than a week and barely get any response or interest. And for bows shipped at lower than half price with no waiting.
It is very disappointing that trading and selling is going so poorly. I hope all our bowyers and having better success at moving product. Maybe everyone is going fishing now that it is spring.
Market does seem a bit slow but I saw your add and a better description as well as photos would help you out significantly    in closing a deal. I hardly won't buy a bow without seeing pictures and for some the trouble of emailing or texting is an extra inconvenience.

Sometimes its love at 1st sight and with no sighting, aint no loving.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2015, 12:00:00 PM »
Originally posted by Archie:
I decided not to be a paid contributor this year.  I'm not living very high on the hog, and that $30 is something I should use elsewhere.  I'm probably not the only one.  

It would be nice if it was a one-time fee instead of annually.  It definitely impacts my browsing, and if I ain't browsin', I ain't buyin'.
Yup.

Not that I don't want to contribute, but I need to stay away.

For me it was like an alcoholic walking past a bar...if he/she goes in, there could be trouble. If you don't go in. You have to look for trouble elsewhere  ;)

I retired at the end of July, '14. Now I'm on a fixed income. But somehow I've bought about five bows since then (all vintage). Maybe I need to just disconnect from the 'net altogether....

NAH!

I'm still looking for my holy grail 65 Kodiak LH. I kinda hope it stays away so I can keep from spending the $ that is less disposing as it was a year ago.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2015, 12:24:00 PM »
Well Ed....I wish i could do more fishing.... I'm swamped with work at the moment. I'm at 5-6 month wait time on custom bows, and have very few in stock. I've got no time to build stock bows.....

But.... I am going Turkey hunting on the 10Th- 17th...... Gotta do it.   :biglaugh:

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2015, 12:37:00 PM »
It's a trend on all the sites no just here.  I have seen bows sale for way less than I would have thought.
T ZZZZ

Offline JohnV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2015, 01:13:00 PM »
I am not willing to pay to view the classified ads so that is why I am not buying anything there.
Proud Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2015, 01:21:00 PM »
Used bow prices are way down, people have less money, people selling need the money many times, and will take something rather than just hang onto a bow they do not use.
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2015, 01:21:00 PM »
I kind of like to look a bow over good and give it a good pull back or two.  Not much for dropping 2-3 hundred on a used bow anyway and not without having it my hands.  Can't say as if I have ever bought a bow without looking at it with one exception.  My Steve Turray baraga long bow.

Like others, when you are retired and on a fixed income you throw Cabelas catalogs away before they hit the family room.

Online elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2015, 01:23:00 PM »
There certainly are some good deals to be had and a buyer can be picky if items are not moving too fast. I can certainly understand if folks are watching their $$'s but if I really wanted a bow spending $30 to save hundreds seems pretty straight forward.

Also as Izzy mentions a good presentation of the item you want to sell could mean the difference between SOLD and still for sale. Pictures are very important to me when I look at something to buy.

A quick glance at the bows for sale first page shows a dozen SOLD's or SPF so there is movement and some folks that probably got a great deal.

I'm going to put my custom made Journeyman longbow that Jared donated to the St Jude's auction back in the auction this year so that Jared's generousity keeps helping the kids, so you won't have to pay $30 to bid for a very nice bow.

Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Scott E

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2015, 01:23:00 PM »
I think people need to sell more of their silver tips and black tails    :pray:   especially the 64" ones in the low 40s
Self reliance cannot be bought

Offline Stickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2015, 01:27:00 PM »
I am disappointed in having a bow at a steal of a price on there and not one hit. I have sold 2 quivers and bought one this year as a contributor and having zero concerns about the transactions is pleasant. You don't have to look very far down the board (PowWow) to see a recent thread someone posted on getting burned buying a bow on another site.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©