3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: You just can't give them away!  (Read 5471 times)

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: You just can't give them away!
« Reply #100 on: April 02, 2015, 03:21:00 PM »
I believe the used bow market has always had it's ups and downs. Sometimes it takes 10 minutes to sell a bow......sometimes 10 weeks. I do know that when bows are priced right......they don't last long. That's not saying you give them away...but!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline D. Key

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #101 on: April 02, 2015, 03:56:00 PM »
By no means am I wealthy and hate to lose money on bow sales but whether (or how much) I lose is my decision.  I truly appreciate this site and the ability to shop for used equipment, even with the $30. contribution.  Terry and the Gang run a great operation and without TG, it would be a lonely place for me.

Over the past several months I have bought and sold maybe 10 bows.  What I pay was negotiated between me and the seller and what I sell for is up to me, as long as the market will justify it.  I have taken a beating on bows (some new and some used) within this time period but every decision was made by me alone.  I really didn't want to loose as much money as I did but the market just will not support my asking price so I had to decide whether or not I could afford the loss. Seeing a new bow I want to try forces me to decide whether my "Kitty" funds will allow it and lately, I have needed to pass on some great looking bows.

Hopefully things will turn soon and we fellow "Bo-Ho's" can get back to a more profitable buying/selling experience.

Good huntin' guys.
"Pick-A-Spot"

Doug Key

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #102 on: April 02, 2015, 04:54:00 PM »
Why buy used when there are TONS of new bows out there for just $500 and some as low as $250-$300.

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #103 on: April 02, 2015, 07:50:00 PM »
Buclkeye Hunter: Why buy used when there are TONS of new bows out there for just $500 and some as low as $250-$300.

Sixby, Probably for the same reason I bought a perfect used Lincoln Towncar instead of a new car with lesser performance and class. I have just always liked great quality over utility.

I believe  Its just that some people see things differently. For instance I know guys that throw bows out of their tree stands and over fences, beat the tar out of them ,. I can hunt rough country for a month and never scratch a bow. I have taken the fall many times and held my bow up so it didn't get broken.

Anyway neither is necessarily wrong but I feel like I will save the money to buy what I want or catch it in good used condition rather than buy a cheap car or bow or arrows or whatever for that matter.

God Bless, Steve

Offline Archer Dave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #104 on: April 02, 2015, 08:14:00 PM »
I would probably have bought a bow or two from the classifieds on this forum if you didn't have to pay to "Look" at what was there. I bet a lot of other people are the same way. You could probably do a poll and find this to be true.

I can see charging for listing items, but not to browse or buy. Just telling you why I haven't bought anything over the forum. Maybe I am cheap, but I do not want to pay unless I know there is something I want to buy. Imagine having to buy a membership to shop online at 3 Rivers or any other archery shop, They wouldn't get my business if I had to pay to browse what they had for sale.    :rolleyes:

No offense Terry, love the site.

Offline PAlline

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #105 on: April 02, 2015, 08:57:00 PM »
Originally posted by LB_hntr:
You guys think you got it tough...try selling a left hand bow that's about 70# at a normal 28" draw. All my bows fit this category. Takes me forever to sell and usually has to be for dirt cheap. Literally near impossible.
I hope to buy one of your bows from you in a few years. I want to be able to shoot a hybrid longbow with high draw weight with ease soon! Just need the coin and strength!
I seek to learn, teach me

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #106 on: April 03, 2015, 08:59:00 AM »
I have had no problems since deciding to take what limited commerce I do to the LW and Tradtalk.  Shipping rates are bad enough, without a $30 fee to participate. The minimum post rule years ago took care of 90% of the hustlers.  The dishonest will find ways around anything.
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline TDHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #107 on: April 03, 2015, 10:23:00 AM »
I'm sure it's been said but It is a real shame that this has to occur. I've been very fortunate on TG and have bought and sold a bunch of bows with no issues.
I've been a contributor for a few years as well just because I enjoyed a lot of info and advice from this site. I've been away from the site for a while and unfortunately I will probably have to wait until next November to become a contributor again as I can't justify 30. bucks for a partial year browsing. Unfortunately money is tight these days

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #108 on: April 03, 2015, 10:55:00 AM »
Terry and his moderators run a great site here, no argument about that.

I have been a contributor to Tradgang twice, once before the classifieds' fee and once after the classifieds' fee started last year. I found that I didn't do a lot of buying and selling last year so I didn't contribute this year. I've gotten into a few other things besides archery that have required membership fees this year so I just decided that I can't afford everything which is why I cut the classifieds' fees to Tradgang for this year. Who knows, I may decide to contribute next year.

I did notice last year that there just wasn't as much traffic in the classifieds and I believe that it's because less people are using it because of the fees. I've never had a bit of trouble from buying, selling, or trading on here, before or after the fees were put into play.

In my opinion, I believe the lower amount of transactions on the site is a mixture of all of the things mentioned above, with the main issue being less people browsing because they either can't or won't pay to use the classifieds.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #109 on: April 03, 2015, 11:17:00 AM »
It's my understanding that the fee was instituted in part to keep the scamers away.  If it helps fund the site, so much the better.  I'm generally not a cheerleader, but for all the good information and entertainment this site provides, I don't understand all the complaining about the $30 fee. Been to a movie or out to eat lately? Purchase an item for bow hunting?  Compare it to just about anything else you spend money on, and it's a pittance.

Offline NY Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Wooden Bows, Wooden Arrows and 2-Blade Broadheads
« Reply #110 on: April 03, 2015, 11:41:00 AM »
Nobody uses those antique bows anymore.
"Elk don't know how many feet a horse has!"
Bear Claw Chris Lapp

Offline elknutz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #111 on: April 03, 2015, 12:37:00 PM »
Gee wizz. 30 bucks.  I'm retired and the wife and I spend that much for a movie and popcorn.  Cry me a river.
"There is no excellence in archery without great labor" - Maurice Thompson
"I avoid anything that make my dogs gag" - Dusty Nethery

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #112 on: April 03, 2015, 01:02:00 PM »
I'm amazed that these threads always come back to the fee to look at the classifieds. I've seen people say I need to spend the thirty dollars somewhere else. For the people wanting to come on here and buy things,if you can't afford $30,you sure can't afford one of these bows that are going for so little. Bows weren't selling that much better,and for a whole lot more before the fee.

Offline TRAD101

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #113 on: April 03, 2015, 01:03:00 PM »
to me $30.00 a year is pretty cheap for the education you can get here. the classified's are
just a bonus.

Offline daveycrockett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #114 on: April 03, 2015, 01:41:00 PM »
Originally posted by Orion:
It's my understanding that the fee was instituted in part to keep the scamers away.  If it helps fund the site, so much the better.  I'm generally not a cheerleader, but for all the good information and entertainment this site provides, I don't understand all the complaining about the $30 fee. Been to a movie or out to eat lately? Purchase an item for bow hunting?  Compare it to just about anything else you spend money on, and it's a pittance.
EXATCLY x2!!

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #115 on: April 03, 2015, 01:45:00 PM »
Originally posted by Alexander Traditional:
......Bows weren't selling that much better,and for a whole lot more before the fee.
Actually, before the fee, there were more bows and other stuff in the classifieds and more buyers. More buyers equals bows selling for a whole lot more money.

Make no mistake, I'm not griping about the fees. I'm just stating the obvious. There are less people browsing the classifieds now than there were before the fees started, like it or not.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #116 on: April 03, 2015, 01:49:00 PM »
Originally posted by ishoot4thrills:

......Bows weren't selling that much better,and for a whole lot more before the fee.
Actually, before the fee, there were more bows and other stuff in the classifieds and more buyers. More buyers equals bows selling for a whole lot more money.

Make no mistake, I'm not griping about the fees. I'm just stating the obvious. There are less people browsing the classifieds now than there were before the fees started, like it or not. [/b]
I understand what you are saying,and it's true less people looking less people buying,but I get so tired of people saying they can't afford the fee,well then you sure can't afford a new bow.

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #117 on: April 03, 2015, 01:58:00 PM »
Originally posted by Orion:
X2....well said.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #118 on: April 03, 2015, 02:00:00 PM »
Originally posted by ishoot4thrills:

Make no mistake, I'm not griping about the fees. I'm just stating the obvious. There are less people browsing the classifieds now than there were before the fees started, like it or not. [/b]
What proof do you have of this claim?  Just curious if you have solid evidence or just a hunch.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Jakeemt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #119 on: April 03, 2015, 02:09:00 PM »
[/QUOTE]I understand what you are saying,and it's true less people looking less people buying,but I get so tired of people saying they can't afford the fee,well then you sure can't afford a new bow. [/QB][/QUOTE]

This is not true and more than a little insulting. I absolutely can afford a new bow or used bow. I also can afford to pay the 30 fee to use the classifieds. I simply choose not to. I really enjoy this site and I generally make it a point to use the above links at least a few times when I want to buy things from contributor sites like Kustom King (who I found out about through this forum).  I have no issue if this site has a fee to use the classifieds nor am I "whining about it". Great site anyway.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©