3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: You just can't give them away!  (Read 5472 times)

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: You just can't give them away!
« Reply #120 on: April 03, 2015, 02:10:00 PM »
A lot of people buy expensive bows that cannot afford them. A lot of people take expensive hunts that cannot afford them. Some of us are dreamers. To have a dream is not a bad thing. Perhaps it keeps someone working that is really a mountainman at heart. I've observed over time that someone that starts wanting something lets that wanter work on them until they find a way to get it.
I tend to agree with two things I have read here. The fee definitely limits people that brouse the site in two ways. #1, is a little bit of rebel in us all says no way Jose are you going to charge me something to look.
#2. They actually cannot afford it. True that in this case they could not immediately buy one of these bow anyway and if they did it would take away from their family.

I see the good side in that it does help to keep charlatins out but then I thought that the posts #s had accomplished that. Anyway this is the safest site by far to perform a transaction and honestly 30.  is not too much to do that.

As far as what Ed is seeing in slow and low sales prices that is a combination of low brouser numbers but it is more than that a very bad and unstable economy due to us insisting on being a third world country.

God bless, Steve
God bless you all, Steve

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #121 on: April 03, 2015, 02:18:00 PM »
Originally posted by Jakeemt:
I understand what you are saying,and it's true less people looking less people buying,but I get so tired of people saying they can't afford the fee,well then you sure can't afford a new bow. [/b][/QUOTE]

This is not true and more than a little insulting. I absolutely can afford a new bow or used bow. I also can afford to pay the 30 fee to use the classifieds. I simply choose not to. I really enjoy this site and I generally make it a point to use the above links at least a few times when I want to buy things from contributor sites like Kustom King (who I found out about through this forum).  I have no issue if this site has a fee to use the classifieds nor am I "whining about it". Great site anyway. [/QB][/QUOTE]

I'm sorry that it's insulting to you. I wasn't talking about you. It's the people that talk about the $30 like it's breaking the bank,well like you said then it's your purgative not to get in on it. These things always get so far off subject,and this is the first time i've actually gotten into one of these debates. I think I will just stay out of it from now on,and let the bosses deal with it.

Offline Jakeemt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #122 on: April 03, 2015, 02:24:00 PM »
Alexander-Lol fair enough. This is the first one of these threads I have ever waded in on. Perhaps I am just being too sensitive. I think I will follow your lead and just stay the heck out of these threads too!

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #123 on: April 03, 2015, 02:28:00 PM »
They're not looking for a new bow, they're looking for a used bow. And it's not just bows they're looking for. It's quivers, arrows, fletchers, broadheads, packs, etc. Add $30.00 plus $10.00 shipping to a package of 3 broadheads for $25.00 and that equates to $65.00.

People are cutting back on spending and the things that aren't absolutely necessary are the first things to get cut. I know, I've been there, just like a lot of you have too. Maybe you've just forgotten. Oh, btw, the bow IS a necessity!
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #124 on: April 03, 2015, 02:42:00 PM »
Originally posted by David Mitchell:

Originally posted by ishoot4thrills:

Originally posted by Alexander Traditional:
......Bows weren't selling that much better,and for a whole lot more before the fee.
Actually, before the fee, there were more bows and other stuff in the classifieds and more buyers. More buyers equals bows selling for a whole lot more money.

Make no mistake, I'm not griping about the fees. I'm just stating the obvious. There are less people browsing the classifieds now than there were before the fees started, like it or not. [/b]
What proof do you have of this claim?  Just curious if you have solid evidence or just a hunch. [/b]
No hunch. No solid evidence. Just common sense and noticing just by browsing the classifieds last year.

Lot's of new members everyday. Do you really think that many new members are gonna jump right in and contribute with their money right off the bat? Before the fees they would be browsing the free classifieds and making deals immediately. Yeah, some would be trying to screw people without paying for the goods, I know that. But still, more people browsing the classifieds means more deals and competition in buying.

Please don't misunderstand me, I'm NOT against the fees and I understand why they're put in place. But, again, understand that there's just not gonna be as many people browsing the classifieds because of the fees. Just more HONEST people maybe.
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
3 Fingers Under

Online Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #125 on: April 03, 2015, 02:50:00 PM »
Originally posted by elknutz:
Gee wizz. 30 bucks.  I'm retired and the wife and I spend that much for a movie and popcorn.  Cry me a river.
:thumbsup:

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #126 on: April 03, 2015, 02:54:00 PM »
HHmmm.......I see more people crying because they're not selling as much stuff on here than I do from people crying about the $30.00!
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
3 Fingers Under

Online Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #127 on: April 03, 2015, 02:59:00 PM »
Originally posted by ishoot4thrills:
They're not looking for a new bow, they're looking for a used bow. And it's not just bows they're looking for. It's quivers, arrows, fletchers, broadheads, packs, etc. Add $30.00 plus $10.00 shipping to a package of 3 broadheads for $25.00 and that equates to $65.00.

People are cutting back on spending and the things that aren't absolutely necessary are the first things to get cut. I know, I've been there, just like a lot of you have too. Maybe you've just forgotten. Oh, btw, the bow IS a necessity!
I buy probably 20 items a year on the classifieds.  That works out to $1.50 per item.  If I save $5.00 per item by buying used rather than new, it is a $70 savings for me on the year.  If I save $2-300 on a bow, then it is really great value.  I didn't include anything about shipping, as I have to pay for that if I buy new or used.  The $30 is worth it for the peace of mind that I'm most likely dealing with good folks.

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #128 on: April 03, 2015, 03:48:00 PM »
Good for you, Hermon. Not everybody does the same as you.

Once again, please don't misunderstand me, I'm NOT against the fees and I understand why they're put in place. But, again, understand that there's just not gonna be as many people browsing the classifieds because of the fees. Just more HONEST people maybe.
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
3 Fingers Under

Online Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #129 on: April 03, 2015, 03:59:00 PM »
You are absolutely correct Douglas, more HONEST people here, imo.  But I still don't think that the fees really are having a downside to the bow market.  It is a buyers market in lots of things these days.  I occasionally glance at another traditional board that was started in the last year or so.  No fees to see or list/browse on the classifieds.  There is basically no traffic on that board.  Only a handful of adds and many of them are months old.  Hardly ever see a bow marked sold. I don't think that we are on opposite sides of this topic, I just don't feel that the nominal fee really has much effect.  Those of us that are going to buy/sell are still here.  Just sometimes the item selling doesn't find the buyer interested in it right away.

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #130 on: April 03, 2015, 04:21:00 PM »
Hermon, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Lot's of new members everyday. Do you really think that many new members are gonna jump right in and contribute with their money right off the bat? Before the fees they would be browsing the free classifieds and making deals immediately. Yeah, some would be trying to screw people without paying for the goods, I know that. But still, more people browsing the classifieds means more deals and competition in buying.

Good debate though.
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
3 Fingers Under

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #131 on: April 03, 2015, 04:52:00 PM »
"To each his own."  It's not a matter of affording it, simply a matter of principle that I'm not going to do it!  Can't remember the last movie I went to and haven't missed that over-priced activity in the least! I'm more of a "beware the man with one bow" type guy anyway.  I've been blessed to own many, but honestly there isn't that much difference in them.  Nowhere near the potential that exists for me to simply become better by shooting what I own.  But we all like to tinker with different arrows, heads, quivers, etc. and to be honest I've had the most fun on the LW's monthly "swap and trade" threads. I get something I want to try and the other guy does too, shipping's all we pay!
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #132 on: April 03, 2015, 04:57:00 PM »
OK, I'll settle for more HONEST people.    :biglaugh:   They are the ones I prefer to deal with.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #133 on: April 03, 2015, 06:13:00 PM »
I love to browse the classifieds on TG.  I did it for about 8-9 years before the fee kicked in. Now that I can't access the ads, I probably only spend 20% of the time on TG that I used to.  The classifieds drew me in to the site when the thread topics and discussions would get slow.  I loved to see all the stuff for sale, and learned a lot from it, although I didn't do a lot of transactions.  I'd pop on for "just a minute" to check the ads, and end up in "dangerous game" or some other area before I knew it.

I became a paid contributor before the fee, as well.  And I paid the fee to get access to the classifieds for the first year.  I was much more of a buyer than a seller, though I did both.  But the prospect of paying $300 over the next 10 years to browse the classifieds is not very appealing to me.  So, until I have something specific that I need to buy, that I can't buy on the big auction site or at a sponsor, I will hold off on paying the $30.  

Since I'm not retired, am raising kids, and mine aren't the only hobbies in the family, those fees are going somewhere else.  It's a good thing too, because I was known for browsing with no intent to buy, and then ending up having to explain to my wife why a package just arrived in the mail!
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #134 on: April 03, 2015, 07:22:00 PM »
If I was a Railroad Engineer I would have no problem with money.
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #135 on: April 03, 2015, 07:40:00 PM »
Please explain to me how paying 30$, 50$, or even 75& going to stop some bent on gyping someone out of 300$ or more.

I have been on Trad Gang for many years and hope to continue and like some I loved to browse the classifieds and miss just window shopping. This is a great and hope it continues, thanks for listening.

Offline Moots

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #136 on: April 03, 2015, 10:32:00 PM »
A lot of fine people on this site, but I don't think that it has as many visitors as it used to.  I have no evidence.  That is simply how it seems to me.

Some of you who have belonged to this site longer than I have might have greater perspective.

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #137 on: April 04, 2015, 09:52:00 AM »
Originally posted by Archie:
I love to browse the classifieds on TG.  I did it for about 8-9 years before the fee kicked in. Now that I can't access the ads, I probably only spend 20% of the time on TG that I used to.  The classifieds drew me in to the site when the thread topics and discussions would get slow.  I loved to see all the stuff for sale, and learned a lot from it, although I didn't do a lot of transactions.  I'd pop on for "just a minute" to check the ads, and end up in "dangerous game" or some other area before I knew it.

I became a paid contributor before the fee, as well.  And I paid the fee to get access to the classifieds for the first year.  I was much more of a buyer than a seller, though I did both.  But the prospect of paying $300 over the next 10 years to browse the classifieds is not very appealing to me.  So, until I have something specific that I need to buy, that I can't buy on the big auction site or at a sponsor, I will hold off on paying the $30.  

Since I'm not retired, am raising kids, and mine aren't the only hobbies in the family, those fees are going somewhere else.  It's a good thing too, because I was known for browsing with no intent to buy, and then ending up having to explain to my wife why a package just arrived in the mail!
You just described me!
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
3 Fingers Under

Offline Tall Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #138 on: April 04, 2015, 10:58:00 AM »
Hmmm.... maybe that is a good idea, let people browse for free but you have to pay the fee to buy or sell. Then again, I know absolutely zero about running a website. That may not even be possible.

I'm just concerned that there's not as many people on here as there used to be.

I do remember before the fee, the classifieds had become such a hassle, that Terry was considering doing away with them altogether.
Is a life of rice cakes really life, or just passing time?-Rick Bragg

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #139 on: April 04, 2015, 11:06:00 AM »
I do not buy much anymore but instead of paying 30.00 I advertize for 50.00 bucks tax deduc.I will probably never sell any realestate here but I have met and made friends with app. 40 new people that I will never forget, on hunting trips I took and will be taking others down the road.I just wish I would have thought of this site before Terry.Kip  :bigsmyl:    :campfire:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©