3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: You just can't give them away!  (Read 5473 times)

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: You just can't give them away!
« Reply #140 on: April 04, 2015, 01:47:00 PM »
I wonder how many contributors there is?
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #141 on: April 04, 2015, 04:10:00 PM »
Guys, I just think it is not going to change.  Terry is happy now with the near hassle-free classifieds AND he's getting revenue he never had.  He has said many times this is a bowhunting site and not a flea market site.

I know I would not change it if I were boss.
Lon Scott

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #142 on: April 04, 2015, 08:27:00 PM »
I agree with Archie and Archer Dave regarding their comments.  I used to enjoy browsing the ads here and purchased a number of bows/accessories, sold some as well.  It was fun and made the other features of the site all that much more interesting (I posted much more back then as well).  Though I'm not a fan of paying to look and shop I do believe that site administrators have every right to charge a fee if they so choose.  It's a basic right of free enterprise and from that perspective it's a hard point to argue against.  Does it cause folks to leave or perhaps limit their visits here?  Probably, but it is what it is and like any change people will adapt to it in their own way.

As far as the issue of used bows selling poorly, I feel that much of the current resale problem is connected to the rash of inexpensive new imported bows that are flooding the market through E**y and via domestic manufacturers who import and sell them under their own company (or a subsidiary company) name.  It's easy to see how cheaper imports are attractive to newcomers and even to archery veterans looking for bargains, but it sure doesn't do any favors for custom bowyers, used bow shops or average guys posting their high-quality used bows in the classifieds.  Again, free enterprise at work doesn't always have the results we're all looking for, but it is what it is.

Kinda' makes you wonder what's in store down the road.

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #143 on: April 04, 2015, 08:56:00 PM »
TSP - I agree with your point as well about free enterprise.  The TG administration can go about their business as they please... they make the decisions.  My way to adapt to the change need not be the same as everyone else's, and vice versa.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline agross1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #144 on: April 05, 2015, 09:02:00 AM »
Originally posted by ranger 3:
I wonder how many contributors there is?
X2.   Interesting to know for each year it has been in place.
Silvertip 60"  54#
64 Kodiak 60"  50#

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #145 on: April 05, 2015, 09:21:00 AM »
Originally posted by Tall Paul:
Hmmm.... maybe that is a good idea, let people browse for free but you have to pay the fee to buy or sell. Then again, I know absolutely zero about running a website. That may not even be possible.

I'm just concerned that there's not as many people on here as there used to be.

I do remember before the fee, the classifieds had become such a hassle, that Terry was considering doing away with them altogether.
I belong to a more locally oriented site which is not strictly bowhunting and covers a lot of outdoors ground and you pay to sell ($15) but can buy and browse for free. I kind of like that arrangement myself. Makes perfect sense.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #146 on: April 05, 2015, 09:50:00 AM »
That $30 saved my almost $1400 when I bought a new Tip and new TTs, both with all the bells and whistles.  I haven't sold on here in awhile though.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #147 on: April 05, 2015, 10:08:00 AM »
They say the definition of insanity is doing something over and over again and expecting different results.  The people who own/manage this sight decided to get off the crazy bus and they tell us it's working and they don't have to spend time managing dealsthat have gone south.  There's a few easy choices if we don't agree. .......pay to play and just agree to disagree. ......start another site with rules as you see fit.......or use another site
Tradgang Charter Member #35

« Reply #148 on: April 05, 2015, 02:05:00 PM »
Cannot give them away? Yesterday, I tried to give a longbow away that I was not using.  The guy did not want it. Another person wanted it, but could not begin to pull it. It is easier to sell them than to find the right person to give them to.  Maybe this would be a good time for me to stock up on 45 pound recurves.

Offline Archer Dave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #149 on: April 05, 2015, 02:57:00 PM »
I said it earlier and I will say it again. I think the classified would work much better and allow people to sell a lot more if it was open to all members to look and buy, but cost $30 for those wanting to be able to sell.

If you sell a lot of stuff the $30 is cheap for the service. However if you just want to buy a few field points for $4, then the $30 membership adds a lot to the price.

You attract buyers by allowing them to buy without a fee. More buyers equals more sellers. Look at the big auction site. It charges a fee for selling, but none for buying. Now they sell billions a year, but would not if they charged a membership for looking.

I am all for paying a fee if I want to sell something on the site. I would be paying for a service. However I do not want to pay a fee just to browse.

Offline cmh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #150 on: April 05, 2015, 03:14:00 PM »
Well gentlemen, I've followed this thread and thought I would let you know I run a home for orphan bows....  :)   :)
ISAIH 41:10 ROMANS 10:13
GOD BLESS..........

>>>>--------------->

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #151 on: April 05, 2015, 03:19:00 PM »
Originally posted by cmh:
Well gentlemen, I've followed this thread and thought I would let you know I run a home for orphan bows....   :)     :)  
:biglaugh:

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #152 on: April 05, 2015, 03:59:00 PM »
I agree with Archer Dave. I would like to have everyone have the ability to brouse and buy but have to pay to be able to sell. That would be the most equitable but perhaps not as generative to the site moneywise.

God bless you all and have a wonderful Easter, Steve

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #153 on: April 05, 2015, 04:55:00 PM »
:deadhorse:
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #154 on: April 05, 2015, 10:15:00 PM »
Talk about deals I bought eds kayapoo and absolutely love it

Thank you Ed.

Offline cmh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #155 on: April 05, 2015, 10:30:00 PM »
Originally posted by Alexander Traditional:

Originally posted by cmh:
Well gentlemen, I've followed this thread and thought I would let you know I run a home for orphan bows....    :)       :)  
:biglaugh:  [/b]
Someone's gotta do it lol  ;)
ISAIH 41:10 ROMANS 10:13
GOD BLESS..........

>>>>--------------->

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #156 on: April 05, 2015, 11:10:00 PM »
I wonder if this thread and its popularity is hindering new classifieds listings.
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #157 on: April 05, 2015, 11:16:00 PM »
Originally posted by Archie:
I decided not to be a paid contributor this year.  I'm not living very high on the hog, and that $30 is something I should use elsewhere.  I'm probably not the only one.  

It would be nice if it was a one-time fee instead of annually.  It definitely impacts my browsing, and if I ain't browsin', I ain't buyin'.
This is me too.  Many things that I can spend that fee on especially when I don't purchase much, most of my action was trades.
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline Nala

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #158 on: April 06, 2015, 04:34:00 AM »
I like the idea that browsing should be free but to sell you have to pay the $30.

Even better, I think the site would benefit much more if the $30 was removed and then the site asked ALL members to contribute some amount for the upkeep of the site.  There could be levels of contributors.
One of the gun forums that has been around a LONG time and that I have been a member of since 1999 done a similar thing where they simply asked all the members to contribute if they enjoyed the site and they did.  They have thousands of members and many of them sent in a contribution.  

I would bet that there would be FAR MORE members willing to contribute $5, $10 or $15 per year rather than pay $30 just to browse the Classifieds.

But what do I know.

Nalajr

Offline WarDancer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #159 on: April 06, 2015, 10:58:00 AM »
Are you listening Terry?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©