3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: You just can't give them away!  (Read 5464 times)

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: You just can't give them away!
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2015, 01:45:00 PM »
The economy is tough, but...a friend of mine who's one of the major players in the archery manufacturing world told me recently they are running at full speed ahead.

I'm thinking the custom bow market has taken a hit due to manufacturers stepping up and putting a better class and better selection of "over the counter" bows up for sale that have little to no wait time.

Offline Ryman Cat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2015, 01:47:00 PM »
For the right bow I don't think it ever slows down, also for it priced cheap. You want to sell your custom you paid a lot for then get out the soap. Your either taking a bath or could be a soap opera.LOL

Things are not the way they should be and thats not just been overnight.LOL

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2015, 02:44:00 PM »
There are certainly some good values in the classifieds.  Sometimes it's just a matter of what bow is 'hot' right now. Also, even a couple of years of production puts more bows out there amongst the new bows that are available. I'm having Steve Turay build me a bow and he told me he's trying to move in the direction of a shorter wait time and less stock bows. Perhaps if more bowyers go in that direction we'll see the market pick back up again. Of course if you're a buyer of used, you're enjoying this market.

p.s. as a buyer and seller, I appreciate the pay to play-I've had nothing but great transactions with the site.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2015, 03:07:00 PM »
Originally posted by elkken:
There certainly are some good deals to be had and a buyer can be picky if items are not moving too fast. I can certainly understand if folks are watching their $$'s but if I really wanted a bow spending $30 to save hundreds seems pretty straight forward.

Also as Izzy mentions a good presentation of the item you want to sell could mean the difference between SOLD and still for sale. Pictures are very important to me when I look at something to buy.

A quick glance at the bows for sale first page shows a dozen SOLD's or SPF so there is movement and some folks that probably got a great deal.

I'm going to put my custom made Journeyman longbow that Jared donated to the St Jude's auction back in the auction this year so that Jared's generousity keeps helping the kids, so you won't have to pay $30 to bid for a very nice bow.

Wow Ken!    :clapper:

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2015, 03:19:00 PM »
I recently posted two bows. One of them sold after a couple of weeks and a $75 reduction. The other hasn't sold.

I have another bow that I would sell but I have more in it (with extra limbs) than any bow I've ever owned. I'd bet  I couldn't get 50% for it. No way I can put it up for sale because I couldn't stomach the hit.  

The grip on that one is highly customized by the bowyer just for me. So some wouldn't like the feel either.

Offline monsterbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2015, 03:24:00 PM »
I know you're pain Ed. I've had a Tall Tines on the classifieds for over a month. Got a few tire kickers but no takers. Maybe I'll just keep it. Lol.
John 3:16  Whosoever Will

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2015, 04:14:00 PM »
I'm looking for a certain weight in an ILF limb, a certain brand, a certain length too. I see plenty of limbs for sale, too heavy, too light, too long, too short, unknown limb I haven't shot. So no deal. I just missed a great riser that sold in a matter of hours because I had to work today. I see these more on other sites though.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2015, 05:09:00 PM »
One thing I've noticed with myself and my friends that have been at this a while, we find a bow or few that we really like and shoot well so we stop buying as many looking for the "perfect miracle" bow. At this point we can shoot a bow an tell if we like it or not in less than a dozen shots. You dont need to buy one if you can shoot them at a major shoot and decide to pass. The last bow I bought was 4 years ago for my daughter. She liked it so it stays. My last one was ordered 9 years ago so not looking for any more (except a Gamemaster Jet when the price/poundage/condition planets line up). I noticed the buying-selling trend slowing down a few years ago when selling off my extra bows at Denton Hill for less than half price............... YMMV.......
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline R.V.T.B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2015, 05:22:00 PM »
I am not willing to pay an annual fee just to view the classified ads so that is why I am not buying anything there. Prior to that rule change myself and several members of our local club were good for a couple bows a piece each a year. None of us have "paid to play".

Offline daveycrockett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2015, 05:45:00 PM »
How come threads like this always go the way of pay to play. It gets old! Like someone else pointed out there are at least 12 SOLD ads just on 1st page. The classifieds work and are just icing on the cake for the measly 30 bucks. Around 8 cents a day!

Offline Ron Vought

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2015, 05:54:00 PM »
The classifieds are better than ever. I have great dealing there without the hassle of the scammers trying to get something for nothing.

Ron

Offline Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2015, 06:17:00 PM »
I'm not buying a bow because after shooting close to 250 other trad bows, I don't like ANY of them as much as my current and only bow.  Now, unless I can shoot it, I don't consider buying it because odds are I won't like it or keep it.  Maybe one day that perfect takedown will stumble along though.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2015, 06:24:00 PM »
I paid to play as someone said it and saved/made 5X that. Just sayin.

The market is just plain weak here and on other forums.... No sense complaining about it. It is what it is....

I think the classifieds is a much better place these days, maybe that's just me...
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2015, 06:33:00 PM »
Not dropping prices here and building all the bows I want to build. I go to the classifieds all the time and see the same people selling one bow after another at half price and less than what they paid for it and it makes no sense to me at all. You set the prices on your bows. Seems like an awesome time to pick up some really great bows at half price and less. I have bought several of my own bows back over time because I do not want them on the market for the ridiculous prices some people sell them for. Not only that I know I have more money in time and materials than some ask for them. I would rather have someone call me or email me and ask if I have any good used bows and get shipping and a couple bucks for them from an individual than to have the bows devalued on the classifieds.

Right now it kind of looks like several guys just trading bows back and forth. But like Ed says the market is definitely down on those used bows.

God bless, Steve

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2015, 06:40:00 PM »
I am not sure how some people can afford to buy so many bows and then sell them so cheap.  Good for the guy looking for a steal on the used market but bad for us that try to offer our used bows at a fair price for both parties without taking it in the shorts too much.

All of the ones I sold ended going about 10% lower than I had hoped....but I am trying to fund a new bow so the end justifies the means...within reason.

Hopefully things will turn around....as it is a double edged sword.
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2015, 06:56:00 PM »
I  really think the drop is due to more good bows being on the market these days.  There are so many bowyers out there producing a good product.
T ZZZZ

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2015, 06:59:00 PM »
I recently sold a Howard Hill longbow in great condition and it went fast.  I felt good knowing that the buyer was a serious buyer who was willing to "pay to play".  I have no problem contributing to the best trad archery site on the net! You do have to price them to sell if you want to move them. Most people are not going to pay somewhere just a bit shy of new price for a used bow.  I figure somewhere in the neighborhood of 60-65% of new is a reasonable price to ask for a bow in good condition.  I usually have no trouble selling bows here.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2015, 07:04:00 PM »
It is a down market in the classifieds for sure. It causes the seller to really think about whether to sell the bow for a loss or keep it and wait for an uptick in the market. I sold a bow for $50 less than I paid recently. To me, that was negligible. I would have rather gotten what I paid, but the market dictated a loss on that bow sale. I didn't need to sell it, but I chose to let it go. Some are winners, some are losers!

As far as the $30 contributor fee goes, I get so much enjoyment annually perusing the ads that it's worth it to me.

Offline HARL

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2015, 07:09:00 PM »
I use to be a contributor before it was needed to view the classifieds .Never seemed to hurt to give a bit.Never worry about any deals I make now.
62"63@28 Zipper Nitro
62"60@28 Zipper Nitro
A Doz. Hill Longbows

Offline stabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2015, 07:10:00 PM »
David M I was shooting a Northern Mist that I bought awhile back with your name on it.   :bigsmyl:
The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you come home.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©