3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Accuracy for Hunting  (Read 511 times)

Offline bowhunter15

• Trad Bowhunter
Accuracy for Hunting
« on: April 01, 2015, 05:58:00 PM »
What do you guys consider your acceptable accuracy at the range for carryover to an ethical hunting range? Not asking for "17 yards and under for me" but rather, "17 for me because I can hold a 2in group at that distance, or 3in, or pie plate sized," etc. When I was first exposed to bowhunting years ago, I was taught you needed a pie plate group to shoot at deer. After I learned more and became proficient with the compound, holding a 5" group at 60 was achievable, but obviously not a good choice on whitetail for example because of the movement variable so I made it 30 yards.

Traditional gear is obviously very different. I plan on deer hunting this fall with my longbow. Should I make my max shot distance in the right conditions that which I can hold 2" groups? Pie plate groups? I don't really know a standard for traditional hunting.

Offline BuckeyeGuy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Accuracy for Hunting
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 06:03:00 PM »
I've always used the pie plate size and like to keep shots under 20 yards.

Online Gordon Jabben

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 06:29:00 PM »
There is so much more to making a good shot on game that I don't think groups at a certain distance mean a whole lot.  Most of us know really good game shots that are just average on targets and vice versa.  Nerves and being able to shoot from different shooting positions and a lot of other things come into play.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2015, 06:37:00 PM »
For me, it's not so much group accuracy with trad equipment, as it is one-shot accuracy. Shoot one arrow at something at some unknown distance, and then go and get it. By the time you get it and pick another target, your body will have recovered from the first shot and is ready for another one.  This is important with trad gear because you're holding all the weight at full draw and you need more time to recover than you do with a compound. It's also more realistic for hunting, where you usually only get one shot anyway. However you practice, 6" pie plate accuracy is what you're aiming for.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2015, 06:56:00 PM »
I only have a good idea of my distance after I've shot and seen the arc of my arrow. I pretend everything is 2d when I shoot and I imagine the tiny spot I'm focusing on and trying to hit is illuminated.  A tiny bright spot is the same size no matter the distance.  Unless someone really wanted to split hairs about the MOA of my imaginary spot.
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2015, 08:20:00 PM »
Only you will be able to say when you are ready, and only you will be able to set your max distance for hunting.

I can tell you this, it all has to feel right. If something does not feel right, don't take the shot. I have passed opportunities at very close range because it did not feel right!

Bisch

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2015, 08:35:00 PM »
As far as you can shoot the first shot and hit what your aiming at. First shot is all that matters! And it has to be a first shot in conditions like your hunting, like steep down angle from a tree stand! Big big difference from a ten yard shot from a tree fifteen feet up and a ten yard shot from the ground!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline Todd Cook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2015, 09:14:00 PM »
For me it's under 20 yards. I've killed deer farther than that, but not much farther. I know that I can hit a coke can just about everytime at 15-18 yards. That'll kill any deer or pig you shoot at. Past 20my groups open up too much, mainly because I can't see well enough to pick out a tiny spot past that. For turkeys 15 is about my max.

I know coming from the compound world that seems awfully limiting, but you'll be surprised how many close opportunities you get once you get the right mindset. You'll become a better scouter and hunter.

I hunt mainly feed trees and creek crossings, and set up hoping for a 10-12 yard shot. Good luck!

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2015, 09:58:00 PM »
Shooting a tight group and shooting a live animal for some is a different mind set.  Three D events are suppose to emulate this and for some that isn't the thing either. Small game hunting is the closest thing that I do to emulate deer hunting shots. What ones brain is doing when one is about to shoot at a live animal is about as important as being able to shoot tight groups. When I concentrate, I can shoot baseball sized groups at 18 yards. When I don't concentrate, I can blow a shot at a whole deer at 12 yards.

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2015, 10:43:00 PM »
When a bowhunter is drawing back on a game animal the sympathetic branch of their nervous system is fully engaged. A person can do some really amazing things when in the "fight-or-flight" state.  I can really speak to this as I'm a not a great target shot and my groups leave alot to be desired, but the best shots I've ever made in my life were on game animals, but you'd never believe in them if you shot indoors with me for a whole winter.
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Offline Lonehowl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2015, 11:21:00 PM »
I usually do pretty good on critters, and also targets...but, Ive missed 2 bears, in one season, both at 10 yards or less! (I ground hunt black bears) After remembering what I did at the shot, I realized I was glancing at the bears head right as I realeased, both times, instead of concentrating on a spot. One giant bear was only maybe 8 yards away. Shot right underneath both bears.

After fixing that bad habit, I do well out to 40 yards, and 40 yards is a long way. I practice to 50, and have done a good bit of 60 yard shooting, but I wouldnt take a shot on game that far.
But yes, gotta take into account conditions, and know if you can make that first shot count.

Mark

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2015, 06:21:00 AM »
I practice on my 3D targets most days.  I shoot one arrow walk and retrieve it then shoot it again. I shoot for the kill shot behind the shoulder.  I vary my distances from 5-35 yards. I'm not worried about groups as I do not think they matter much for a hunting situation.  
When hunting out of a tree or ground bind my setups are all for a 15 yard shot and let the situation let me decide if I want to take the shot.  

I firmly believe that you should not let your range accuracy dictate your hunting range.  Big difference between the two.
T ZZZZ

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2015, 06:37:00 AM »
I want at least half a pie-plate (if hunting deer). I think pie-plate is ok. At whatever distance I can hit that 90% of the time is what I will attempt if all else is good. The other 10% needs to be on the edge. That's why I like half-the plate.

Odd though, as I write this I realize I haven't shot a "pie-plate" in years. I shoot 3D critter vitals or objects the size of half-a-pie-plate. When I was planning the ill-fated moose hunt I shot a solid black 18"x18" square. Going for the 9x9 center.

Like others know, proper form, release aids, and sights made that easy as pie (Pun-intended) at 60 yards plus with "other" bows but didn't mean, like the original poster so rightly pointed out, that those shots are recommended for some game animals. Notice I put form ahead of equipment, no matter the type of gear one uses.

If I can't do it on a target I will never know if I can do it on game because I won't attempt the shot. The range is the proving grounds for me. When I speak of the "range" I'm talking about simulated hunting conditions. While I shoot multiple arrows during most of my practice sessions, I certainly agree that the first one is key. The successive shots are simply fun form work.

In 46 years of bowhunting I've only attempted two shots on animals that I knew were beyond my abilities (1971 and 1982).  I learned different lessons in both cases never to be repeated.

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2015, 06:48:00 AM »
A compound bow with sights will shoot tight groups by design... You need to let go of that for now...

As long as you can imagine a spot or pick a small spot on a target and hold your attention on that, you will hit it... If you are new to trad archery, shooting the right way must be learned first... Your body and mind become all the "gadgets" of a wheelie bow... Takes time but well worth it... So, don't pressure yourself... Get out there in the woods and on the 3D range and have some fun learning!

... mike ...  :archer2:  ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Ron Vought

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2015, 08:23:00 AM »
Normally under 20 yards for me but like others have said when the shot opportunity 'feels right'. I have let deer walk because the shot opportunity did not feel right to me. Not feeling right could be shot angle, deer being too alert, brush in the way etc.

Ron

Offline lbshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2015, 09:01:00 AM »
I pay more attention to the orientation and behavior of the animal more than the actual distance if the shot looks to be within 35 or 40 yards. Shooting groups is good for testing form, but first shot accuracy at variable distances in the setting I hunt is where I spend 90% of my practice time. For me hunting small game and training to pick a spot on a rabbits shoulder is by far the best practice that I can get.

Offline mangonboat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2015, 09:09:00 AM »
I never understood the pie plate analogy..when I think of a pie plate, I think of the last piece of pie that was on that plate and then I go looking  for a piece of pie.

Seriously, I concur with those who stress that only the first arrow counts when it comes to confidence in your hunting accuracy. My targets have no circles, only blotches and light areas where the cover is falling apart on the bag or dark/light spots on stumps and logs, and I try to avoid thinking about yardage as a number. My "adequate for deer hunting" requirement is confidence that my arrow will hit within 3 inches of whatever point I'm aiming at from whatever distance, stance, elevation, etc. I happen to be taking that shot from. My "adequate for turkey hunting"  requirement is within one inch. I have different levels of confidence in that first arrow with different bows.

I learned archery mostly from my father. In his day he was mediocre on an indoor range,  better on a field range, unbelievably deadly on deer. He believed that raising your arm straight out, or worse above shoulder level, to draw your hunting bow would spook a lot of deer, so he practiced and drew while raising his bow from waist height and released the moment he hit full draw. He is naturally athletic and still has a great sense of distance, lead, and excelled at many sports. Once, as a driver in a supervised cull on a military installation with high fences, he killed 8 deer in one morning with a 57# 1958 Kodiak...he had confidence in his hunting accuracy. In 40 years of hunting with him, there was only one deer we couldn't find ..a shoulder hit that we tracked 2 miles to a river we couldn't cross.
mangonboat

I've adopted too many bows that needed a good home.

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2015, 10:53:00 AM »
Rhubarb pie with ice cream on it, I cannot be thinking about shooting today. That first arrow is important, however, a few times that second arrow was even more important.

Offline bowhunter15

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2015, 12:36:00 PM »
Lots of good thoughts. Maybe I should probably buy one of those round targets that I can toss around the range and shoot like bocce ball. And do lots of leaf hunting from a tree in addition to the standard targets.

I figured there would be a lot more of an instinctive quality to ranging just like there is in aiming.

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2015, 04:24:00 PM »
For me, the aiming part of a hunting shot is when I can see, without looking directly at it, that the arrow is grooved in as I complete my draw.  Enough of paying attention to that and it becomes second nature. Shooting tight groups is more of a will power thing for me, hitting an animal is a singular event that has to come with more of a reflex motivation.  Both have their place, how to get from one to the other is where small game hunting and stump shooting come in.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©