3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Opinions between these two "budget quivers"  (Read 1326 times)

Offline bowhunter15

• Trad Bowhunter
Opinions between these two "budget quivers"
« on: April 02, 2015, 01:34:00 PM »
One of the two quivers I've been contemplating for the 68" longbow I built are the Eagle's Flight MiniMAX 4 arrow. It attaches with rubber padded velcro, has decent reviews on 3Rivers, and is under $60. They also make a 3 arrow version. Only 5 ounces in weight.

The other is the Thunderhorn Boa 6 arrow. This one has great reviews also, holds two more arrows, attaches with a rubber strap instead of velcro, but only comes in black and has a plastic hood. Weighs 9 ounces.

I've read great reviews on higher end Thunderhorns and Great Northerns, but really have no desire to spend upwards of $90 on a quiver for a bow that cost less than that for materials. But if there are others in that price range I might not have heard of yet, I'd be open to look at those too. I'm hoping to get some opinions or thoughts on materials and attachment methods that might sway my decision. Based on what I can read in the reviews, performance alone seems like a coin flip.

Offline shreffler

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Opinions between these two "budget quivers"
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 01:53:00 PM »
Check out Big Jim's bow quiver. It's on his website. It kinda looks like a Thunderhorn strap on quiver, but has tons of different color combinations and is only $60. The ultimate "budget quiver" if you want to call it that - the quality is just as good if not better than most quivers upwards of $100.

Alex
"If you're not bowhunting, your spirit is on standby." - Uncle Ted

Offline Paul Cousineau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 02:08:00 PM »
I would 2nd the Big Jim's quiver recommendation. I haven't tried either of the two you mentioned but I do have $100 GN kickback and while it is nice, I think i tend to favor Big Jim's. Especially when you factor in the $40 savings. I believe that you can't really go wrong with any of the brands mentioned so far.
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feast on the riches of the hunt. -Proverbs 12:27

Offline bowhunter15

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 02:15:00 PM »
Thanks, I checked out the Big Jim quivers on the site. They look great and also have great reviews. I think I'll try out one of those. Just need to decide on capacity and hood size.

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2015, 02:25:00 PM »
Yep check out Big Jim's
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline bulldog18

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2015, 02:44:00 PM »
A Thunderhorn solid color direct from Thunderhorn is only $68. I would recommend the Thunderhorn over the Big Jim's and the Kanati's. They have a leather covered hood on them. Check them out at thunderhornmfg.com .
Howard Hill Red Hawk 68" 46@28
Howard Hill Big 5, 68" 50@28
Bamabows Tribute 68" 60@28
St. Patricks Lake Mushin Styk 45@28
Black Widow PSA 60" 46@28
Black Widow PL 47@28
St. Patrick’s Lake Northern Styk 68” 44@28

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2015, 02:47:00 PM »
I have a EF mini 4 arrow quiver and it is OK.  I use it on my one piece longbows with great results.  It is light and works.  

Make sure the arrows fit snug.  I HAVE had arrows come out at the shot due to vibration, when I didn't make sure they were well seated.
CHuckC

Offline lablover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2015, 02:57:00 PM »
Big Jim is my go to. The four arrow is just right for me
Bowhunting is a passion, not an obsession. Its just hard for my wife to tell the difference sometimes.

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2015, 03:27:00 PM »
I think a lightweight quiver is best on a longbow.For me anyway.I dont like a bigger bulkier quiver on a longbow.

The 6 arrow thunderhorn has a pretty big footprint and some heft to it.The Thunderhorn Mini boa would be a better choice IMO.It holds 4 arrows.Its not as large and is lighter.Thunderhorn quivers are of the highest quality.

The eagles Flight is very lightweight and small.
I personally use a 4 arrow hood with a 3 arrow gripper on the Eagles flight.

I have been through alot of bowquivers.I typically find myself using the Eagles flight the most.The balance of the bow is good with them.They sit very close to the riser.The bow is light and is easy to carry or hold at ready on the stand.Thier well made and when you install them right they dont slip.

Thier are many other good quivers and some will prefer one over another for various reasons.Some like to carry alot of arrows.Some hunters like a heavier bowquiver as they feel it makes thier bow easier to shoot,less twitchy and potentially absorb some vibration making thier bow quieter.

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2015, 03:32:00 PM »
I like Big Jim's 4 arrow
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2015, 03:34:00 PM »
You might take a look at the Sponsers links page under Anneewaakee.Kanati came out with a new quiver a year or 2 ago.Its called the Kanati Hunter quiver.

It looks solid and its not too big or heavy.It looks like you would get excellant fletch clearance with how the arrow grippers are located.The attachment system looks good and is different.I have never tried it.But since your shopping you should take a look.Its 70$.I have tried thier other quivers and they are superbly made.

good luck

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2015, 03:48:00 PM »
I have the Thunderhorn model you mentioned it, really good quiver and with just a little bit of ingenuity you can fashion a cover to go over the hood. I took apart a cheap stocking cap I bought somewhere. It had knit material on one side and stretchy camo fabric on the other. I added some Velcro to the quiver foam and inside of hood then took the stretch camo fabric and pulled it over hood and tucked into the inside of the hood and pressed the foam back into the quiver pulling the material tight and the Velcro will keep it from popping back out. Not as nice as a nice leather clad one but functional and I don't think you can beat the Boas attaching method!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline Doug_K

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2015, 04:07:00 PM »
Only one I've used is Big Jims, but for quality and value I think it would be near impossible to beat.
60" W&W Black Wolf 55#
64" Bamabows Hunter 52#
60" Bamabows Expedition III 52#
70" Bamabows Hunter 55#
60" A.D.M Earth 63#

Offline Rock 'N Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2015, 04:51:00 PM »
I like the Thunderhorn for its capacity and generous hood. The only downside for me is that the straps occasionally slide. I also have the EFA 3 arrow mini. To me, the mounting is more secure but the hood is inadequate for larger broadheads. EFA however has larger quivers available that I haven't tried. I would go for the Thunderhorn based on the value.
Todd Henck Longbow 68" 58#@28"
Dave Johnson Longbow 66" 60#@27"
Northern Mist Ramer 64" 50#@27"
Northern Mist Classic 68" 52#@28"
Shrew Hill #1 "Alpha" 67" 48#@28"

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2015, 06:38:00 PM »
I like the Thunderhorn small fry ordered directly from them .

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2015, 07:06:00 PM »
I own 2 Big Jims . One on my Widow PSAIII the other on my Wes Wallace Royal Longbow or my Kititinny Archery Tank Killer.

Offline 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2015, 11:02:00 AM »
I thought that I had posted to this thread, but nothing came up. Now I'll try again.

At Eagle's Flight Archery (EFA) we try to make quivers that fit any bow or budget. We make most models in 4 different sizes for the different broadheads and number of arrows needed. I'll include a photo of our most recent quiver. It will be available in several color combinations, but is not yet on the website. You may call for info if needed.

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2015, 11:41:00 AM »
I have a EFA 4 arrow.  It's a great quiver.  But I recently bought a Big Jim quiver MED head and I have to say I like it better.  The mounting system just seems to grip a little better.  The MED size is perfect for my Toelke 62" longbow and plenty of room for 2 large blade BHs and a judo.

Both are good and I have no plans on getting rid of my EFA's.
T ZZZZ

Offline V I Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2015, 12:27:00 PM »
I bought a used EFA here a few years ago for goat hunting.  I love how light weight it is. But it has slipped on occasion.  I have not tried their new "talon grip" system yet,  i have considered a totem, but I really love how light weight the two piece is.  I would, and likely will buy another EFA.
But be sure you live out the message and do not merely listen to it and so deceive yourself - James 1:22

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2015, 01:29:00 PM »
Don that is one handsome quiver I will certainly have one (with Totem) on my next new bow. What have you named it?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©