3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Side plate adjustment for tuning  (Read 821 times)

Offline Tradcat

• Trad Bowhunter
Side plate adjustment for tuning
« on: April 02, 2015, 05:44:00 PM »
Hey guys.... Give me your best tips for making adjustments to allow the arrow to go where you're looking. Let's say the arrow bare shaft tests perfect (correct spine) BUT hits the target just slightly to the left of where you're looking...what would you do to get the arrow to "move" slightly to the right in this situation ? Please advise in detail... Thanks

Offline Robert Armstrong

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Side plate adjustment for tuning
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 06:18:00 PM »
I'm right handed and when I'm hitting left it's form. Not getting into my back. When I get arm back and use my back muscles it puts me back on center. Form first befor adjusting the bow set up.

Offline Robert Armstrong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 06:27:00 PM »
If you are right handed also check anchor point. short drawing the bow slightly can also cause a left hit.

Offline the rifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 06:27:00 PM »
I shoot left handed so I'll give you my take when I am hitting to the right of where I am looking and I know my arrows are tuned.  Like Mr. Armstrong said--form.  Issues could be that I've moved my hand further out (inadvertent change in anchor) or don't have my head canted like usual (eye not over the arrow).  But if these types of things don't work and you are wanting to change impact through sideplate I would say that your left hits would signal slightly weak arrow so you could build out sideplate so bow would accept the slightly weak arrow (pardon my terminology--Im sure this could be better stated) and get it to impact more to right.  You could also try cock feather in and see what happens.  Just some ideas...But back to the beginning---rule out any form issues first.

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2015, 06:35:00 PM »
I'd put a couple twist on my string and leave side plate alone.

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2015, 08:02:00 PM »
2nd that raise your brace hight a little until your where you want.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2015, 08:16:00 PM »
Let's assume your form is perfect and the arrow still hits a little to the left, and you're a RH shooter.  By softening the side plate you can move the POI a few inches to the right at 20 yards.  In other words, if your side plate is plain leather, you can peel that off and put Velcro on instead. If your side plate is Velcro, you can peel that off and put a rug rest on instead, such as a Martin rug rest.

No bow is the same as any other bow, and it is convenient to be able to move the POI so it impacts the same as other bows you're used to. Of course, if you move from a contoured grip recurve cut past center to a broom handle longbow cut to center, you're just going to have to learn a new way of shooting.  But in moving from one bow to a similar bow, it is helpful to make small adjustments so both impact in the same place.

Everybody above is also right, of course.  Once I learned how to actually come to full draw, my arrows suddenly started impacting right, and I was replacing my Martin rug rests with Velcro to go the other direction.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2015, 09:09:00 PM »
If he's right handed and hitting to the left, that would indicate a slightly stiff arrow. I'd put on a heavier point first, before I started doing a lot of sideplate changes.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline Bldtrailer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2015, 09:12:00 AM »
http://tradgeeks.com/how-to-bare-shaft-tune-arrows/  

Watch the short bare shaft tuning video    :readit:   why with the video proof   :archer2:
As we get older our bow weight goes down and our body weight goes up, One of Lifes little jokes.
Bringing Archery to
 Wounded Warriors

Offline the rifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2015, 03:06:00 PM »
Sorry I should have said left hits signal stiff arrow for right handed.  Guess if I'm going to comment in future I need to learn my lefts from rights.  I would have to shoot left handed just to make things more difficult for me

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2015, 04:11:00 PM »
I don't believe he is "building out" the side plate in the video as much as softening it to let the arrow bounce less off the sideplate. If you build it out, meaning to make it thicker, without making it softer, it will have the opposite effect, I think and the arrow will strike even farther to the left.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2015, 09:13:00 PM »
Originally posted by Tradcat:
Hey guys.... Give me your best tips for making adjustments to allow the arrow to go where you're looking. Let's say the arrow bare shaft tests perfect (correct spine) BUT hits the target just slightly to the left of where you're looking...what would you do to get the arrow to "move" slightly to the right in this situation ? Please advise in detail... Thanks
By all means. Move it to the right a fuzz..... if you have room to to it, it should work fine. It wont take much though...  If you go too much it will effect your spine.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2015, 02:17:00 PM »
Hmmmmm.  If the arrows hit left of where you're looking, they're not bare shafting perfectly. Bare shafting is indicating the arrows are stiff, for a right handed shooter.

Just add a little point weight and you should be good to go.  Thinning the side plate will do the same thing, but easier to add point weight.  

Of course, you could be looking across rather than over your arrow.  A slight turn of the head more toward the target should correct that. Good luck.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©